Turn Off Ads?
Page 39 of 66 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041424349 ... LastLast

Thread: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball -- 7th Edition

Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball -- 7th Edition

FWIW...I was rooting today for OSU as I would like to see them get a number 1 seed. As a UK fan, I still feel OSU and UNC are probably 2 of the top teams in the country after UK and would rather face them in a Final Four instead of a regional final.
    UNC did their part by dismantling Duke at Duke and if they win the ACC, I feel they will get a number 1 seed. I am thinking probably the same for OSU but Kansas might figure in there somewhere.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Nice, name calling. I think the record shows that I have been nothing but civil, no trash talking, no "OSU is the greatest and everyone else stinks." But whatever. And btw, as to being a loyal fan but commenting on other teams, so what?
    You stir crap. You did it in the IU thread, you're attempting to do it here. Hence, the title, "troll."

As to commenting on other teams, that's absolutely cool. If you're balanced about it.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    You stir crap. You did it in the IU thread, you're attempting to do it here. Hence, the title, "troll."

As to commenting on other teams, that's absolutely cool. If you're balanced about it.
    What I see is that folks treat these team threads on RZ as if it is "their" team message board and if anyone wants to provide their input, they are accused of trolling. I think my views have been balanced, have not trash talked (except for the little snide 'giddy schoolgirl' comment in the IU thread), people disagree with my view of their team, or the self proclaimed college bball gurus start throwing out RPIs to try to discredit my observations. I don't consider that trolling, and I really don't appreciate being hammered just because I post something other than "root, root, root for the home team" in a team thread.

BTW, please explain to me what exactly I am "stirring" in this thread? Trying to discuss how good UK really is? Assessing the strength of the SEC?
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    What I see is that folks treat these team threads on RZ as if it is "their" team message board and if anyone wants to provide their input, they are accused of trolling. I think my views have been balanced, have not trash talked (except for the little snide 'giddy schoolgirl' comment in the IU thread), people disagree with my view of their team, or the self proclaimed college bball gurus start throwing out RPIs to try to discredit my observations. I don't consider that trolling, and I really don't appreciate being hammered just because I post something other than "root, root, root for the home team" in a team thread.

BTW, please explain to me what exactly I am "stirring" in this thread? Trying to discuss how good UK really is? Assessing the strength of the SEC?
    The UK fans get very testy when someone who isn't a card carrying member of their club dare venture in here. The OSU threads are a little better but that's not saying much

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    The UK fans get very testy when someone who isn't a card carrying member of their club dare venture in here. The OSU threads are a little better but that's not saying much
    Not saying thats whats going on in this thread as I haven't kept up, but as one of the card carriers mentioned, thats one of my biggest disappointments in BBN. We are among the top programs, yet we draw our share of hate/envy/whatever you want to call it, and far too often we let it rankle us when someone says we are anything less than #1.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Not saying thats whats going on in this thread as I haven't kept up, but as one of the card carriers mentioned, thats one of my biggest disappointments in BBN. We are among the top programs, yet we draw our share of hate/envy/whatever you want to call it, and far too often we let it rankle us when someone says we are anything less than #1.
    From experience as a Buckeyes football fan, I think its insecurity. At least that's what I see from defensive Buckeyes fans.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Stat geek...and proud
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    A lot of UK fans disappoint me, when they get all high and mighty and trash other programs like they are God's gift to college hoops. You have a great program, isn't that enough? Not talking about people here for the most part, but things like Loserville and PukeT bother me. It's classless and I don't like it when Indiana fans call Purdue PeeU either. It's lame, and not very creative.
    numbersinthereds.blogspot.com I actually made a post on 7/24/14. I promise.

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

TR and bucksfan2 are the equivalent of MattyHo and MikeThierry. You know who they pull for, but at least they are contributing to the discussion (although I do agree some of tr's posts could be considered baiting). I'd rather be debating how weak the SEC is, whether Kentucky is peaking too early, or how to beat Kentucky (and watch it be proven wrong) rather than the anti-Calipari slime that other tOSU fans were foaming about last year after we ended their season.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    A lot of UK fans disappoint me, when they get all high and mighty and trash other programs like they are God's gift to college hoops. You have a great program, isn't that enough? Not talking about people here for the most part, but things like Loserville and PukeT bother me. It's classless and I don't like it when Indiana fans call Purdue PeeU either. It's lame, and not very creative.
    I prefer Little Brother U.

My experience with UK fans is divided into two segments:

Fan 1: These fans are very knowledgable and follow not just UK, but college basketball in general. They follow recruiting, history, and are typically respectful of other colleges. Most of these fans are also the season ticket holders at Rupp (The Blue Hairs) and you won't see them cheering when you need it most.

Fan 2: These fans follow the Cats only and are crass toward anybody who thinks differently. They love to talk smack, but are the most passionate fans. These are the ones you will find in New Orleans this week and the NCAA tournament later.

Then again, I live in West Virginia so I've seen classless taken to a whole other level.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Stat geek...and proud
    Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I prefer Little Brother U.

My experience with UK fans is divided into two segments:

Fan 1: These fans are very knowledgable and follow not just UK, but college basketball in general. They follow recruiting, history, and are typically respectful of other colleges. Most of these fans are also the season ticket holders at Rupp (The Blue Hairs) and you won't see them cheering when you need it most.

Fan 2: These fans follow the Cats only and are crass toward anybody who thinks differently. They love to talk smack, but are the most passionate fans. These are the ones you will find in New Orleans this week and the NCAA tournament later.

Then again, I live in West Virginia so I've seen classless taken to a whole other level.
    Don't misunderstand me, I don't mind a little trash talk, just be funny and stuff, don't just resort to silly names. If people want to chant abortion clinic names to Pitino I'm all good with that.
    numbersinthereds.blogspot.com I actually made a post on 7/24/14. I promise.

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    Don't misunderstand me, I don't mind a little trash talk, just be funny and stuff, don't just resort to silly names. If people want to chant abortion clinic names to Pitino I'm all good with that.
    When I was at the WVU-Louisville basketball game last year, the student section (which is pretty notorious for doing stupid stuff), was chanting Ka-Ren Sy-Pher.

When we played at Rupp the previous year against Louisville, UK fans tried to get the chant started and Cal went over to the fans and told them to hush. When Bruce Pearl came back from his SEC suspension against UK, the fans chanted "Bruce You Chea-ted" and Cal did the same thing. One thing about it, Cal lives above the fray and he expects UK fans to do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    TR and bucksfan2 are the equivalent of MattyHo and MikeThierry. You know who they pull for, but at least they are contributing to the discussion (although I do agree some of tr's posts could be considered baiting). I'd rather be debating how weak the SEC is, whether Kentucky is peaking too early, or how to beat Kentucky (and watch it be proven wrong) rather than the anti-Calipari slime that other tOSU fans were foaming about last year after we ended their season.
    The only regret I have in these bball threads is the "giddy schoolgirl" comment about IU, which I actually think was made in the OSU bball thread, without looking it up. Baiting implies intent, and my intent in these threads is to comment from my point of view. Obviously, with the sometimes irrational passion of fans, esp. college athletics fans, any mention of a team's flaws that differs from their own is heresy, and I'm guessing that is where the accusations of "stirring" and "baiting" start to fly.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

I bet ole Scrap is feeling pretty good right now...
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    I bet ole Scrap is feeling pretty good right now...
    I have no voice left, my dog is still scared of me, and my wife yelled at me twice about waking up the baby.

Don't care, though.

Woot, woot!
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

Grats, man. Western has a proud tradition, lots of people don't know that.

I will be pulling for your boys as long as they're not playing UK.
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Turn Off Ads?