Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 66 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball -- 7th Edition

Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball -- 7th Edition

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    So, Calipari doesn't take reclamation projects? Since recruiting Tony Woods made UofL look slimy does it make UK look slimy as well?
    There are a lot of players I would take right now over Tony Woods (Trevor Lacey, Ryan Harrow, DeAndre Daniels topping the list), but if Cal thinks that Woods is legit both in production and off court issues being over, that's good enough for me.

UK is always going to be perceived as slimy and Woods coming here isn't going to change that. Adolph Rupp was a racist, Cal has had two final four appearances vacated, Emery Worldwide package etc.

What I don't understand is that a lot of Louisville fans have said that Woods likely would be a benchwarmer for them but a lot of UK fans have him starting and pushing Jones to SF and Davis to PF. I don't get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    What I don't understand is that a lot of Louisville fans have said that Woods likely would be a benchwarmer for them but a lot of UK fans have him starting and pushing Jones to SF and Davis to PF. I don't get it.
    I don't think he would play much for either school next year. He wasn't great as a freshman and has been sitting for the past year. As I said before, I don't really care one way or the other Woods coming to Louisville. What I will enjoy, however; is him committing to UK after WMR trashed Louisville and made the comments I quoted above.

So any idea on whether or not we land Lacey, Harrow, or Woods?
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    So, Calipari doesn't take reclamation projects? Since recruiting Tony Woods made UofL look slimy does it make UK look slimy as well?
    The fact that he bolted from even considering UL tells me I may have misjudged him.

In all seriousness, I would be cautious and very concerned if Tony Woods were to join the UK program.

However, Cal has earned a lot more 'good will' towards these types of decisions than has Pitino. I.e., everything Cal has touched so far at UK has turned golden whereas everything Pitino has touched at UL has turned to.....

Calipari has done a great job at Kentucky, but he's certainly not infallible. To insist everything's he's touched has turned golden is to ignore some history (Spring 2010 grades, for example, The eligibility concerns of Wall and Kanter for another) detractors certainly won't.

As for Woods, I could see it either way. He may deserve a second chance. He may truly be sorry for his crime. I don't know Woods, nor do I pretend to. I know next to nothing of his situation. But, the guy has a criminal record. A pretty serious charge, too. To say that he'll be fine because of his coach smacks of blue-tinted glasses. (Not that that's ever stopped you, WMR.)

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari has done a great job at Kentucky, but he's certainly not infallible. To insist everything's he's touched has turned golden is to ignore some history (Spring 2010 grades, for example, The eligibility concerns of Wall and Kanter for another) detractors certainly won't.

As for Woods, I could see it either way. He may deserve a second chance. He may truly be sorry for his crime. I don't know Woods, nor do I pretend to. I know next to nothing of his situation. But, the guy has a criminal record. A pretty serious charge, too. To say that he'll be fine because of his coach smacks of blue-tinted glasses. (Not that that's ever stopped you, WMR.)
    Angry WKU fan alert. Seeing you stomp your feet is mildly cute, but it isn't going to make you any more relevant.

Cal's two years here have been beyond amazing. Keep trying to hate on the guy though, that seems to be your MO.

To try and use Wall and Kanter as black marks against Cal is just sad. I would expect much better from you.

Do you know that had Kanter not finished up both his semesters in good academic standing the NCAA would have punished UK? Aren't you a teacher? Wow.
    Last edited by WMR; 05-16-2011 at 12:09 PM.

Were they eligible or were there questions, WMR? Wall had to pay back some money and take a couple game suspension. That's not golden. Kanter was ruled ineligible by the NCAA. Not golden.

How about that 2.12 GPA last spring? Tarnished might be a better adjective.

How about Darnell Dodson? Is he black mark enough? Perhaps he was golden in the glow of the bong.

Calipari is probably my favorite NCAA coach ever. He's honest to a fault, he's fun to talk to, he's a great quote.

But he's not perfect. Nor is the job he's done at Kentucky. It has nothing to do with being or not being a fan. It's citing history. I'm not stomping my feet (whatever that means). I'm not "hating" anyone. (Again, Cal is among the best coaches I know and is probably my current favorite.)

On a side note, it is interesting that everyone who disagrees with you is "hating" or ignoring truth.

Some day, hopefully, you will figure that out. Otherwise, well... you'll be pretty much typical of many UK fans I've met.

On a side note, it is interesting that everyone who disagrees with you is "hating" or ignoring truth.
    You should be above using weak strawmen like this one. Your attempted characterizations of Wall and Kanter as black marks against Calipari was beyond lame and extremely contrived and you needed to be called out on it. Wall and Kanter aren't black marks, they're gold stars. Model student athletes, especially Kanter who finished up his second semester with good grades despite the fact that he never got to play a second of college ball. Talk to Josh Selby and get back to me about BLACK MARKS.

Furthermore, no one EVER said Cal was perfect, just that his first two years here have been a dream and we hope he never leaves.

How about that 2.12 GPA last spring?
    Check the grades from this past semester, professor.

How about Darnell Dodson? Is he black mark enough? Perhaps he was golden in the glow of the bong.
    See? Dodson, the pothead. There you go. A black mark against Cal. A legitimate one. I knew you could do it.

you'll be pretty much typical of many UK fans I've met.
    I would love to tell you who (or is it what) I think you're typical of.

I also think you've mischaracterized my post as being "okay" with adding Woods. I said I would be concerned. I just said that Cal has earned the right to take on Woods if he decides that it's the right move. NOW, if the Woods Experiment is a disaster then it would certainly qualify as a black mark against Cal and would weigh against him in how he was judged in future situations.
    Last edited by WMR; 05-16-2011 at 12:53 PM.

http://www.lex18.com/news/basketball...ring-semester/

Let's hope Bob Knight is somewhere reading this. That's because John Calipari announced on his website Wednesday night the GPA of his team for the spring semester and the entire year, and they're both above a 3.0.
    A Final Four AND Above a 3.0??? WOW. GIVE THIS MAN A RAISE.

No strawman, no crap. You just can't stand for anyone to say anything against "your" university. No one is allowed to be critical. No one is allowed to say anyting critical, or you go all nuclear. On the flip side, you dig at every other university, especially UofL. What's good for the goose makes the gander throw up his arms and shout from the rooftops.

It's tired.

Calipari is a great coach.

He's not perfect, nor is every choice he makes a good one.

Wall, while a great player, was a questionable recruit as evidenced by his two-game NCAA suspension. That in itself is indeed a black mark.

Kanter cannot be considered a student-athlete because he was never an athlete while being a student. A lifetime ban from the NCAA is the very definition of a black mark against a coach.

Dodson is a black mark. Last season's GPA was a black mark.

Are they a big deal? Probably not. But they're black marks just the same.

How can Kanter not be a student athlete if the NCAA would have punished UK had he not finished his classes? He can count against the APR but doesn't qualify as a student athlete? Riiiight. More brilliance from the NCAA.
    Last edited by WMR; 05-16-2011 at 01:28 PM.

No strawman, no crap. You just can't stand for anyone to say anything against "your" university. No one is allowed to be critical. No one is allowed to say anyting critical, or you go all nuclear. On the flip side, you dig at every other university, especially UofL. What's good for the goose makes the gander throw up his arms and shout from the rooftops.

It's tired.

Calipari is a great coach.

He's not perfect, nor is every choice he makes a good one.

Wall, while a great player, was a questionable recruit as evidenced by his two-game NCAA suspension. That in itself is indeed a black mark.

Kanter cannot be considered a student-athlete because he was never an athlete while being a student. A lifetime ban from the NCAA is the very definition of a black mark against a coach.

Dodson is a black mark. Last season's GPA was a black mark.

Are they a big deal? Probably not. But they're black marks just the same.
    Be critical all you want. Just come with something legitimate. John Wall and Enes Kanter were/are excellent ambassadors for Kentucky and to attempt to characterize them as something other than that is erroneous and in need of correction.

Stick with the Pothead angle, IMO.

I would suggest the "One and Done Factory" Angle but Doron and Terrence threw a bit of a monkey wrench into those gears...
    Last edited by WMR; 05-16-2011 at 01:26 PM.

Black mark enough to be kicked off the team....

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Not out of the gates. Miller has his flaws but he will be more polished to start the season, especially on defense. If Miller reverts back to being Disappearius I believe Gilchrist will supplant him.
    Late reply here, but hey...who cares? haha.

Darius is one of the lazier defenders I've seen off the ball, jmo. He seems to fall asleep a lot and just let stupid things happen that lead to a few buckets a game. Gilchrist will step right into Liggins' shoes IMO.

Plus, I'm still pissed at Miller for being maybe the biggest no-show of all in the Final Four.

Quote Originally Posted by LexRedsFan View Post
    Late reply here, but hey...who cares? haha.

Darius is one of the lazier defenders I've seen off the ball, jmo. He seems to fall asleep a lot and just let stupid things happen that lead to a few buckets a game. Gilchrist will step right into Liggins' shoes IMO.

Plus, I'm still pissed at Miller for being maybe the biggest no-show of all in the Final Four.
    Harrellson disappared as well so I really don't fault one person in that game. UConn subbed at will and kept fresh defenders on our players. One of the disadvantages of a seven man rotation.

Miller will start the year. Whether he remains the starter will remain to be seen.

Turn Off Ads?