Turn Off Ads?
Page 44 of 66 FirstFirst ... 3440414243444546474854 ... LastLast

Thread: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball -- 7th Edition

Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball -- 7th Edition

Coach K is Bobby Knight with better impulse control and a better publicist.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Is that a crack on me?------signed, Pat Knight
    ...and this one belongs to the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Could be but he was nice to me and my family and there was nothing in it for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    I heard Rivers wanted to leave while his draft stock was still moderate Lehigh.
    HEY-O!
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    2013 Reds Record when I attend: 5-4
    2012 Reds Record when I attend: 10-7

Stat geek...and proud
    To get this thing back on topic, man Kentucky is good. Indiana played about as well as they've played all year, and it didn't matter. Indiana would have beaten anybody else in the country tonight not named Kentucky. I don't see anyone beating them unless they just lay an egg. If they play to the best of their abilities they will not lose.
    Last edited by gilpdawg; 03-24-2012 at 01:14 AM.
    numbersinthereds.blogspot.com I actually made a post on 10/17/14. I promise.

95% at the line, 35-37. That was unbelievable to see. Very entertaining game offensively from both teams. Congrats to UK.

1st pick 2022 B.B. draft George Foster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    95% at the line, 35-37. That was unbelievable to see. Very entertaining game offensively from both teams. Congrats to UK.
    Coach Cal's teams are notorious for not shooting free throws well in big games so this game was special. This game took a lot out of us. I hope we have enough in the tank for Baylor.
    Not this year...maybe a Wild Card

I said on Twitter that I heard "Happy Gilmore saying, "uh oh, Happy learned to putt," every time UK made a free throw . Incredible effort. The FTs pretty much eliminated any chance at comeback.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

Classic game ! Like Rocky and Creed going back and forth, toe to toe.
    After ISU caught KY at 42 in the last game, from then to now, they have played at totally another level.
    Hope they can keep it up on Sunday.

IU played about as well as they could last night. Unfortunately for the Hoosiers, UK brought their "A" game as well. Very entertaining game.

Good luck 'Cats the rest of the way!

IU is back I think it is safe to say and that is good for the college basketball area around these parts.
    Last edited by jmac; 03-24-2012 at 11:32 AM.

I want to address something said in the IU thread but since it concerns Cal, I am doing it in this one.
    It was this post by WVRed :

I'm one of the few UK fans who feel this way, but I think this is Cal's last year at Kentucky if he wins it all. It's the perfect storm:

1. This team is likely to lose a LOT of players. Miller and Vargas to graduation, as well as the possibility of Lamb, TJ, MKG, Davis, and Teague all going pro. This team will return Kyle Wiltjer as the only player to log significant minutes on this team. Ryan Harrow will be eligible after sitting out from transferring from NC State, and Jon Hood is recovering from a torn ACL.

2. In addition to players, the coaching staff is in flux. Kenny Payne and Orlando Antigua are in consideration for head coaching jobs and that decision becomes easier if Kentucky wins it all. Last I've heard is Payne to Mississippi State and Antigua to Duquesne. John Robic will be the only one on staff and he will follow Cal wherever he goes.

If you think about it, Cal is losing up to SEVEN players and two top assistants. Not to mention the teams Cal has had in the past have been a mixture of upperclassmen and young players. There is no Patrick Patterson, Perry Stevenson, Ramon Harris, Josh Harrellson, or Darius Miller on next years team, unless you count Jon Hood, who will be a redshirt junior. I understand the recruiting class Cal has coming in (potentially) next season, but this is why I think the NBA has more allure:

1. Cal is not the same coach as Rick Pitino when Pitino left for the Celtics. In order to be a successful NBA coach, you have to have a "niche". Cal didn't have that with the Nets and Pitino still doesn't have one, just motivation. You can motivate a kid with a scholarship. You have to work harder or have a system to get millionaires who make more than the coach to work. Cal has that now with the Dribble Drive.

2. If Cal does leave for the NBA I think it will be two teams, either the Knicks or the Wizards:

Knicks: I know Carmelo Anthony is example A, B, C, and D as to why Cal won't work, but this team is BUILT for the dribble drive, especially with Jeremy Lin running the point. Do you think Cal wouldn't like to work with Linsanity? Especially with Carmelo and Stoudemire waiting to knock down open shots? Not to mention the Knicks are one of the elite teams in the league, and Cal has a big ego.

Wizards: Washington has a very good chance of landing a top 4 pick. They already have John Wall, one of the rising stars in the league. Wouldn't you love to be a coach and have an inside-out combination of John Wall and Anthony Davis?

Thats why I think if Cal leaves, this will be the year. If he doesn't, he may not get an opportunity to do so again. If he did something and is skipping town, we will discuss that when something comes to light.

I understand some of your points but overall, I see things a little differently.

1: I agree as far as the missing ingredient Cal will have after this year barring a return from Lamb or Jones (and it wouldnt surprise me if Lamb returned)
    Alot of people do not pick up on the veteran that each Cal team has had. Stevenson and Harris were big that first year even though they didnt get much pub. Harrelson came from out of nowhere so who knows...maybe Hood will or Wiljter will take a giant step next season.
    Of course "each" Cal team has had one common denominator and that is Darius Miller. The kid has really grown leaps and bounds in the last 3 years and I am sure UK would have lost a couple during the season if it wasnt for Miller.
    Wiljter is a good recruit who is the kind of kid who would stick around maybe 3-4 years. UK has another one coming in next season who isnt the one and done type (cant think of his name though)

2: Not just because I am a UK fan but saying this anyway, if Cal leaves a job like UK "and" the place where he has put UK back into college basketball, it would be one of the dumbest moves ever IMO.
    I just think guys like Pitino and Cal are exceptional college coaches who have the 2 ingredients to make a great college coach : Recruiter and motivator.
    He does have the dribble drive but I dont think he could go to Miss State for example and turn them into a power with it. He would have to do what Cal does along with others like Pitino and Williams etc and that is recruit.
    In the NBA, you are stuck with who you have. The Wizards picked Wall but are still struggling. The Kings recently have got guys like Evans-Cousins-Jimmer and still struggle.
    Now if a coach steps into a high profile NBA job already established like LA,Dallas, Bulls etc, yeah he could win. But a coach isnt going to take over the Bobcats and make them a winner overnight. If it takes 3-5 years, there is a good chance that coach will be fired beforehand.
    Plus in the NBA, all it takes is one star player disgruntled and it is Bye-Bye coach.
    I think guys like Coach K (who I am not a big fan of because of Duke) and Williams have shown extreme smarts in sticking at these high profile jobs where they can dominate year in and year out. I always have said that he might not admit it but I bet deep inside, Pitino knows leaving UK was one of the dumbest things he could have done. Guys like him and Cal- K--Williams-Self and a few others are always going to be able to get top talent into their program as opposed to an NBA job.
    Also...it is hard to see Cal run and up and jumping on sidelines in NBA the way he does in college. Look at the top NBA coaches over the years, Rivers-Jackson-Popavich etc. They are pretty and tame and stoic on sideline and some like Phil Jackson you practically never seen move off the bench.
    Even if Cal does win it all, he has the chance to put together a nice reign at UK. Maybe not a Final Four every year but a basketball power every year nonetheless.
    WVRed, this wasnt really directed at you , just my take on the Cal to NBA subject.

jmac, thanks for your kudos concerning IU. But I couldnt agree more on your Cal going to the NBA take.

If he goes, it's because Kentucky is probably the most exhausting job in sports. It's truly 24/7, and you can't hide. Ever.

I'm guessing he's here for a decade or so, then retires.

A couple years later, he might go to a pro team or perhaps a really small school. (It fits his personality, IMO.)
    -- Christy Matthewson
    -- Leo Durocher

BTW, as to the IU game, I love the speed with which both teams played. It was perhaps the most enjoyable game to watch-- for a basketball purist-- in a decade. Reminds me of early Roy Williams' North Carolina teams.
    -- Christy Matthewson
    -- Leo Durocher

Turn Off Ads?