Turn Off Ads?
Page 59 of 66 FirstFirst ... 949555657585960616263 ... LastLast
Results 871 to 885 of 984

Thread: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball -- 7th Edition

  1. #871
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    992

    Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball -- 7th Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    My top 10 players overall of the Cal era (combining judging talent, stats, accomplishments, impact, i.e. all-encompassing)
    1. AD
    2. MKG
    3. Wall
    4. BK
    5. Miller
    6. Lamb
    7. Jones
    8. PPatt
    9. Cuz
    10. Jorts
    Mine:

    1. AD
    2. Wall
    3. MKG
    4. Knight
    5. Cousins
    6. Jones
    7. Lamb
    8. Patterson
    9. Miller
    10. Harrellson

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #872
    Member ervinsm84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    West Chester
    Posts
    448

    Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball -- 7th Edition

    If i had to pick one guy to put on a random team to win one game, this is my order.

    1Davis
    2MKG
    3Wall
    4Patterson
    5Cousins
    6Knight
    7Bledsoe
    8Lamb
    9Miller
    10Jones
    Newsflash!

    Joey Votto does not care about RBI.

    NEITHER SHOULD ANY OF US

  4. #873
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,959

    Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball -- 7th Edition

    Based on the Street and Smith mathematical formula from their outstanding
    magazine in 2004. A very comprehensive overall evaluation. The way the
    points were awarded:

    All Time Winning percentage x 40 (unsure why they did it this way)
    Number of 20 win seasons x 2 points
    Number of 30 win seasons x 3 points
    Seasons finishing in the AP Top 20/25 x 3 points
    Seasons finishing in the AP Top 10 x 5 points
    Seasons finishing as the AP Final #1 x 10 points
    Conference regular season titles x 10 points
    Conference tournament titles x 6 points
    NIT Titles x 10 points
    NCAA Tournament appearances x 10 points
    NCAA Tournament wins x 4 points
    NCAA Sweet 16s x 4 points
    NCAA Elite 8s x 8 points
    NCAA Final 4s x 14 points
    NCAA Title game appearances x 16 points
    NCAA Titles x 25 points
    NCAA Probations x a negative 3 points

    So, the top 14 programs through the 2012 Season:

    1. Kentucky 3261.5 points
    2. North Carolina 2771.5
    3. UCLA 2582.7
    4. Kansas 2482.8
    5. Duke 2334.1
    6. Indiana 1711.5
    7. Louisville 1621.2
    8. Ohio State 1395
    9. UConn 1393.7
    10. Cincinnati 1223.2
    11. Syracuse 1220.5
    12. Arizona 1202.8
    13. Michigan State 1155.9
    14. Arkansas 1148.6

    A couple of things; the gap between UK and #2 is 490 points. The #2, #3
    #4, and #5 programs are within 437 points of each other. Kansas is very
    close to overtaking UCLA for #3.

    Lastly, Louisville with 1621.5 points is basically 50% as great a program
    as UK with 3261.5 points.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  5. #874
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Bedford, KY
    Posts
    8,992

    Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball -- 7th Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by ervinsm84 View Post
    If i had to pick one guy to put on a random team to win one game, this is my order.

    1Davis
    2MKG
    3Wall
    4Patterson
    5Cousins
    6Knight
    7Bledsoe
    8Lamb
    9Miller
    10Jones
    PG Wall
    SG Lamb
    SF Miller
    PF Patterson
    C Davis

    PG Knight
    SG Bledsoe
    SF MKG
    PF Jones
    C Cousins

    I can't decide on which team I'd like more. Wall can't shoot, but the rest of that team would make it a bizarre inside-out nightmare.

    OTOH, the other team could legitimately claim every rebound within a ten-mile radius. It'd also have enough jets to take off, if needed.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

  6. #875
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,445

    Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball -- 7th Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  7. #876
    Moderator LexRedsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Greenville, South Carolina
    Posts
    558

    Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball -- 7th Edition

    The Reds are honoring UK tomorrow night.

    Bought a pair of cheap tickets on StubHub...I couldn't resist seeing my two favorite sports teams in one place.

  8. #877
    We are back! Assembly Hall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Warsaw, IN
    Posts
    742

    Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball -- 7th Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Based on the Street and Smith mathematical formula from their outstanding
    magazine in 2004. A very comprehensive overall evaluation. The way the
    points were awarded:

    All Time Winning percentage x 40 (unsure why they did it this way)
    Number of 20 win seasons x 2 points
    Number of 30 win seasons x 3 points
    Seasons finishing in the AP Top 20/25 x 3 points
    Seasons finishing in the AP Top 10 x 5 points
    Seasons finishing as the AP Final #1 x 10 points
    Conference regular season titles x 10 points
    Conference tournament titles x 6 points
    NIT Titles x 10 points
    NCAA Tournament appearances x 10 points
    NCAA Tournament wins x 4 points
    NCAA Sweet 16s x 4 points
    NCAA Elite 8s x 8 points
    NCAA Final 4s x 14 points
    NCAA Title game appearances x 16 points
    NCAA Titles x 25 points
    NCAA Probations x a negative 3 points

    So, the top 14 programs through the 2012 Season:

    1. Kentucky 3261.5 points
    2. North Carolina 2771.5
    3. UCLA 2582.7
    4. Kansas 2482.8
    5. Duke 2334.1
    6. Indiana 1711.5
    7. Louisville 1621.2
    8. Ohio State 1395
    9. UConn 1393.7
    10. Cincinnati 1223.2
    11. Syracuse 1220.5
    12. Arizona 1202.8
    13. Michigan State 1155.9
    14. Arkansas 1148.6

    A couple of things; the gap between UK and #2 is 490 points. The #2, #3
    #4, and #5 programs are within 437 points of each other. Kansas is very
    close to overtaking UCLA for #3.

    Lastly, Louisville with 1621.5 points is basically 50% as great a program
    as UK with 3261.5 points.
    That's some pretty interesting stuff there, and did raise my eyebrows. The Top 7 didnt surprise me, but from that point on it did. I would be curious as to where UNLV, DePaul, NC State, Marquette, Purdue, and Notre Dame would be on the list.
    ...and this one belongs to the Reds.

  9. #878
    Member cumberlandreds's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Sterling VA
    Posts
    9,246

    Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball -- 7th Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by LexRedsFan View Post
    The Reds are honoring UK tomorrow night.

    Bought a pair of cheap tickets on StubHub...I couldn't resist seeing my two favorite sports teams in one place.
    Hopefully they will show a bit of it on the pregame. Hoping too Cal will stick around for the game and maybe be interviewed during it. Very cool of the Reds to do this BTW.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

  10. #879
    Member improbus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    2,082

    Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball -- 7th Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Hopefully they will show a bit of it on the pregame. Hoping too Cal will stick around for the game and maybe be interviewed during it. Very cool of the Reds to do this BTW.
    Some highlights of the interview for me.

    1) A mention of Hood. Does that mean some PT next year?
    2) Jumping when the smoke stacks went off.
    3) The lovely lady to his right. She really kept my attention.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

  11. #880
    Member improbus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    2,082

    Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball -- 7th Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    So, the top 14 programs through the 2012 Season:

    1. Kentucky 3261.5 points
    2. North Carolina 2771.5
    3. UCLA 2582.7
    4. Kansas 2482.8
    5. Duke 2334.1
    6. Indiana 1711.5
    7. Louisville 1621.2
    8. Ohio State 1395
    9. UConn 1393.7
    10. Cincinnati 1223.2
    11. Syracuse 1220.5
    12. Arizona 1202.8
    13. Michigan State 1155.9
    14. Arkansas 1148.6
    The most interesting thing to me is that OSU is 8th and is the only school on this list whose hoops squad is a definitive second class citizen in its own town. I am perpetually saddened at the disparity between football and hoops here in Columbus.

    BTW, where would OSU rank on the same list for football? My guess is one or two positions above 8th.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

  12. #881
    We are back! Assembly Hall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Warsaw, IN
    Posts
    742

    Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball -- 7th Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    The most interesting thing to me is that OSU is 8th and is the only school on this list whose hoops squad is a definitive second class citizen in its own town. I am perpetually saddened at the disparity between football and hoops here in Columbus.

    BTW, where would OSU rank on the same list for football? My guess is one or two positions above 8th.
    LOL.........look on the bright side.......OSU is a football school that has deep B-ball tradition!

    Personally, Arizona and UConn surprised me the most. They werent even thought of until the mid 80's.
    ...and this one belongs to the Reds.

  13. #882
    Member cumberlandreds's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Sterling VA
    Posts
    9,246

    Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball -- 7th Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    Some highlights of the interview for me.

    1) A mention of Hood. Does that mean some PT next year?
    2) Jumping when the smoke stacks went off.
    3) The lovely lady to his right. She really kept my attention.
    Seemed like he was going out of his way not to mention any of his incoming freshman by name.

    Seems as though there were a few Reds fans that didn't like the idea of the Reds honoring UK's championship. I figure it was some Ohio State, UC and UL fans that are jealous.

    http://www.kentucky.com/2012/04/24/2...-deeds-of.html
    Reds Fan Since 1971

  14. #883
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,959

    Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball -- 7th Edition

    It's sounding like UK is refusing to bring their teams or fans back to Bloomington. After the shameful way our visiting fans were treated, I must say that I'm very glad to hear this. DeWayne Peevy said UK would not be going back and it's looking right now like he wasn't lying. If IU doesn't want to play on a neutral court they can go away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  15. #884
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,959

    Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball -- 7th Edition

    Extremely interesting, well-made short film made about night of UK championship win in Lexington. Fun video, must watch. http://vimeo.com/41012322
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  16. #885
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,445

    Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball -- 7th Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    It's sounding like UK is refusing to bring their teams or fans back to Bloomington. After the shameful way our visiting fans were treated, I must say that I'm very glad to hear this. DeWayne Peevy said UK would not be going back and it's looking right now like he wasn't lying. If IU doesn't want to play on a neutral court they can go away.
    I feel the same way. We can replace them on the schedule with Ohio State and not miss a beat. With tOSU becoming a consistent basketball presence and sharing a border, I think Kentucky and Ohio State could become a pretty good rivalry.

    Indiana needs us more than we need them. We sell out Rupp regardless. I don't think IU fans will storm the court if they beat Kansas in Bloomington either.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25