Turn Off Ads?
Page 61 of 66 FirstFirst ... 1151575859606162636465 ... LastLast

Thread: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball -- 7th Edition

Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball -- 7th Edition

The only thing I take offense to is the buzzsaw comment.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

2. Turn Off Ads?
    The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    The only thing I take offense to is the buzzsaw comment.
    LOL.......I thought about saying "hornet's nest"

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    UK made a scheduling mistake a few years back when the game was supposed to be at Louisville. They ended up playing the game at Rupp. It has been home and home ever since as IU was pretty upset about UK making a big time faux pas. I personally dont care one way or another.......but dont blame it on IU's "unruly" fans. You cant tell me if Florida would have beaten' the 'Cats in Gainsville their fans wouldnt have stormed the court after beating the #1 team in the country? I would imagine that it comes down money, friendships, or just how many ooc games against quality opponents you play in general. But whatever the case may be, I hope the rivalry continues, and I dont care where it is played at.
    You can't honestly believe that the comments about the ridiculous behavior by IU fans has anything to do with them rushing the court. I've seen numerous crowds rush the court after knocking off UK in my lifetime, but I have never ever seen a fanbase behave the way IU fans did that day. I hope the series continues, but I hope we never step foot in Bloomington again.

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    You can't honestly believe that the comments about the ridiculous behavior by IU fans has anything to do with them rushing the court. I've seen numerous crowds rush the court after knocking off UK in my lifetime, but I have never ever seen a fanbase behave the way IU fans did that day. I hope the series continues, but I hope we never step foot in Bloomington again.
    Listen NYRED/NYUKFAN.......your Playboy model said she got injured at the game because of the fans storming the court. Storming the court has become a topic. But dont tell me the "fanbase" behaved that way. Not every IU fan was at that game over even in Bloomington that day. You wouldnt have even been on that court if you had read my earlier post. They changed the venues back in the mid to late '80's and they were played on "neutral" sites. At the dome in Indy, and at Louisville. The kicker was that tickets were split right down the middle. Half to UK, half to IU.....no matter where the game was at. UK screwed up and blamed a scheduling conflict one year it was supposed to be at Louisville. The game was played at Rupp and the tickets werent split down the middle. IU never forgot that and it went back to the old days home and home. I have been to a many IU/UK games in my lifetime. Two come to mind..........'82-'83(regular season) and '87-'88........Great games. But to say there are no UK fans that dont antognize, yell profanities, and pick fights is absurd. I have witnessed it....been there done that. Some of you guys have been so negative about that game that I take back what I ever said. You dont want to come to Bloomington, then the hell with Lexington.

Listen NYRED/NYUKFAN.......your Playboy model said she got injured at the game because of the fans storming the court. Storming the court has become a topic. But dont tell me the "fanbase" behaved that way. Not every IU fan was at that game over even in Bloomington that day. You wouldnt have even been on that court if you had read my earlier post. They changed the venues back in the mid to late '80's and they were played on "neutral" sites. At the dome in Indy, and at Louisville. The kicker was that tickets were split right down the middle. Half to UK, half to IU.....no matter where the game was at. UK screwed up and blamed a scheduling conflict one year it was supposed to be at Louisville. The game was played at Rupp and the tickets werent split down the middle. IU never forgot that and it went back to the old days home and home. I have been to a many IU/UK games in my lifetime. Two come to mind..........'82-'83(regular season) and '87-'88........Great games. But to say there are no UK fans that dont antognize, yell profanities, and pick fights is absurd. I have witnessed it....been there done that. Some of you guys have been so negative about that game that I take back what I ever said. You dont want to come to Bloomington, then the hell with Lexington.
    I don't disagree with you at all, AH. The only difference though is you won't see those fans in Rupp Arena, and there is a reason:

When the IU game went on sale, tickets went on sale the day of the game. Games at Rupp go to season ticket holders first, who are mostly older alumni who you have to beg to stand up and cheer. In a way, its a problem I wish we had. There are some changes I would like to see at Rupp when they do the renovations, namely move the older fans into the luxury suites and move the ERupption Zone to the lower level similar to WVU.

That being said, there are UK fans who act like idiots. You can watch any video of the celebration after winning the national championship to see it. I don't condone it, but every fanbase has idiots. Some (not counting IU in this) happen to have more than others.

IIRC there was a scheduling conflict, but the tradeoff was that we played at Assembly Hall the following year. The home and home just kinda picked up after that.

As I said in a previous post, I'd like to see the Indiana series continue but on one neutral court. I'd nominate Louisville just because its a neutral site and right across the river from Indiana. Tickets could be split down the middle and it could be basketballs version of the Red River Rivalry.

If the series falls through, its not a big loss to Kentucky. We'll fill up Rupp regardless, you guys won't storm the court if you beat Kansas though.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

I'd like to see the Indiana series continue but on one neutral court. I'd nominate Louisville just because its a neutral site and right across the river from Indiana. Tickets could be split down the middle and it could be basketballs version of the Red River Rivalry.

That makes sense to me.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

I appreciate the comments WVRed.

I do disagree about storming the court against Kansas though. If they come to Bloomington they are in danger as well!

I honestly would hate to see the series come to an end myself. It is something that I always look forward to every year.

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    When the IU game went on sale, tickets went on sale the day of the game. Games at Rupp go to season ticket holders first, who are mostly older alumni who you have to beg to stand up and cheer. In a way, its a problem I wish we had. There are some changes I would like to see at Rupp when they do the renovations, namely move the older fans into the luxury suites and move the ERupption Zone to the lower level similar to WVU.
    I hope people doing the renovations read this WV !

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Yeah. State St. wasn't safe after UK's last two wins.
    Fixed that for you.

According to several sources on Twitter, the UK/IU series may indeed be finished, and it's 100% because of the behavior of IU fans. Congrats, Hoosiers, you may have killed one of the three best college basketball rivalries in the country. It will be a sad day if this series truly is over.

According to several sources on Twitter, the UK/IU series may indeed be finished, and it's 100% because of the behavior of IU fans. Congrats, Hoosiers, you may have killed one of the three best college basketball rivalries in the country. It will be a sad day if this series truly is over.
    I am telling you that the IU administration hasnt forgot about that neutral site game UK renigged on. You think what you want and I will think what I want.........

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebaske...ndiana-impasse

That may be the public reason NY Red, but I think you'd have to be pretty naive to think that's the sole reason, or even the primary one.

The real reason behind it is money. Kentucky gets no benefit from exchanging a home and home with IU or any other big name opponent. They can sell out Rupp for an exhibition game against EKU's branch campus. So bringing IU to Rupp brings ZERO marginal dollars to them. And of course it means that there's no money from the game every other year. Which means that they are in effect losing money.

As far as I know, UK hasn't had any real problems with the IU crowd in previous years and IU hasn't had any problems in Lexington, so I have trouble imagining that any fan behavior in one particular year, which the university President apologized for, was so egregious as to completely nullify a rivalry that went back many generations.

As for that particular game, my guess is that Kentucky fans were in fact treated horribly.
    Not to make excuses, but it seemed to be the perfect storm of #1 ranked rival, program trying to reclaim former glory after years of being kicked around and the first opportunity to truly show they were capable of beating someone big, add in a few extra ingredients like a football team that went 1-11(adding more fuel to the fire as essentially anyone associated with Indiana hadn't seen a big win in Football or Basketball in going on 3 years,) and a 6 PM start time which unfortunately gave everyone a little bit too much time to gain as much liquid courage as they could muster. Essentially that crowd was as loud and intense as any I've heard from beginning to end. Unfortunately when the vast majority reach a certain peak, that means that a select few go over the top. For that over the top behavior of a relative minority of fans, Indiana should have apologized AND DID apologize.

The fact of the matter is that even before the game, Kentucky was sowing the seeds of dropping one big game per year, and Calipari didn't seem to care whether it was IU, Louisville, or UNC.

So if you want to believe that it was the behavior of IU fans which killed the rivalrly, then so be it. But my guess is, the ultimate motivator is money. Lots and lots of money.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I don't disagree with you at all, AH. The only difference though is you won't see those fans in Rupp Arena, and there is a reason:

I'm not sure what you mean here WVRed, tickets never go on sale the day of the game. The vast majority of student tickets are actually assigned before the game. As I understand it, the student tickets still rotate through a variety of sections. Most ticket packages include one or two games in the balconies, one or two on the floor level seats, and two-four on the main level. As I understand it, only one of the main level sections is General Admission, so you'd actually have to have tickets for that particular area in order to be looking for your seat on the day of the game.

As for the other regrettable behavior, my guess is that it was probably a mix of students and other fans. Unfortunately there are idiots in every crowd, and this particular game seemed to bring out the worst in them.

Having to beg the older fans to stand up and cheer is a familiar issue at IU as well, where somewhere in the middle of Kelvin Sampson's first year of terror, the students generally chanted "Stand up Old People. Clap, Clap, Clap-Clap-Clap"
    This caused quite a bit of controversy at the time, and looking back it's really quite amusing that this was the controversy of the time rather than ya know what Kelvin Sampson was doing.
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

I am telling you that the IU administration hasnt forgot about that neutral site game UK renigged on. You think what you want and I will think what I want.........

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebaske...ndiana-impasse
    You mentioned this before, but UK and IU agreed since Freedom Hall was being used for something else to have the game be a home and home. The tickets weren't split down the middle, but IU got the chance the year later to make up the difference at Assembly Hall. It's not like UK moved the game to Rupp and then played at the RCA Dome a year later.

I was (and still am) hoping the UNC series would get axed before Indiana. It's not that I don't want to play UNC, it's that with UK's schedule next season, Indiana would have likely been the only quality home game. Louisville, UNC, SEC-Big East Challenge school on the road, as well as Maryland and Duke at neutral sites. Louisville isn't going away, and Indiana is the only home game next season, so UNC makes the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean here WVRed, tickets never go on sale the day of the game. The vast majority of student tickets are actually assigned before the game. As I understand it, the student tickets still rotate through a variety of sections. Most ticket packages include one or two games in the balconies, one or two on the floor level seats, and two-four on the main level. As I understand it, only one of the main level sections is General Admission, so you'd actually have to have tickets for that particular area in order to be looking for your seat on the day of the game.

As for the other regrettable behavior, my guess is that it was probably a mix of students and other fans. Unfortunately there are idiots in every crowd, and this particular game seemed to bring out the worst in them.

Having to beg the older fans to stand up and cheer is a familiar issue at IU as well, where somewhere in the middle of Kelvin Sampson's first year of terror, the students generally chanted "Stand up Old People. Clap, Clap, Clap-Clap-Clap"
    This caused quite a bit of controversy at the time, and looking back it's really quite amusing that this was the controversy of the time rather than ya know what Kelvin Sampson was doing.
    I remember watching when the tickets for the IU game went on sale that ESPN said that the tickets went on sale the morning of the game and people had lined up to get the tickets. You know more about the situation than I would, so maybe I read into it completely different. Just sounds like they made the tickets available that morning for the game.

UK has had some student section embarrassments in the past. I still remember Matt Walsh who played for Florida and the student section chanting "Walsh is Gay" and UK issued an apology shortly thereafter. It's kinda tamed down under Cal though. The Louisville game they chanted Ka-Ren Sy-Pher and Bruce Pearl's last game at Rupp "Bruce You-Chea-Ted" and Cal went over to the student section and told them to stop.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I remember watching when the tickets for the IU game went on sale that ESPN said that the tickets went on sale the morning of the game and people had lined up to get the tickets. You know more about the situation than I would, so maybe I read into it completely different. Just sounds like they made the tickets available that morning for the game.

UK has had some student section embarrassments in the past. I still remember Matt Walsh who played for Florida and the student section chanting "Walsh is Gay" and UK issued an apology shortly thereafter. It's kinda tamed down under Cal though. The Louisville game they chanted Ka-Ren Sy-Pher and Bruce Pearl's last game at Rupp "Bruce You-Chea-Ted" and Cal went over to the student section and told them to stop.
    Yeah I think that was a misinterpretation on ESPN's end(Hard to imagine I know.) The student tickets, and unless I'm mistaken only a certain portion of the student tickets were up in the air regarding the seating.

It's really semantics because for those seats at least, even though the seats were already paid for, it was still general admission so you got there when you got ther.

There had been a number of students camping out earlier in the week for a spot in line and IU put the kibosh on that but granted those who had been camping out "golden tickets" to the front of the line Saturday morning.

Turn Off Ads?