Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 66 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast

Thread: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball -- 7th Edition

Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball -- 7th Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post

Or, to put a bit of a historical spin on it, Christian Laettner, as a member of the original Dream Team, played exhibitions against pros and college teams alike. The college all-star team game was televised, and, as far as I know, no one on either team was declared ineligible. Mike K. was an assistant coach on that 92 team.
    Laettner had exhausted his eligibility in April of '92.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I should have been clearer. The college All-Star team Laettner and company played consisted of college players Bobby Hurley, Cal Chaney, Penny Hardaway, Alan Houston, Rodney Rodgers, Glenn Robinson, and Jason Kidd.

None of them were declared ineligible.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Two games were broadcast, one was a daytime game. They were on the Fox Regional network that I wouldn't have gotten to have seen but I was on vacation and visited family who had the game.

I have more of a problem with the game being broadcast on the Worldwide Leader.
    If ESPN would have wanted to broadcast the UK Pros-DR game, it would have happened.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Or, to put a bit of a historical spin on it, Christian Laettner, as a member of the original Dream Team, played exhibitions against pros and college teams alike. The college all-star team game was televised, and, as far as I know, no one on either team was declared ineligible. Mike K. was an assistant coach on that 92 team.

In 1996, Tim Duncan and other college all-stars played Dream Team III. Twice. On ABC. The NCAA had no problem with allowing those players to remain eligible.

In short, it doesn't matter that Vargas is a member of the UK team when he's playing for his national team. Or at least it doesn't matter for other teams. Why is it different here?
    Because those games were not put together to showcase one college program. This clearly was.

What college program? Only one player-- who was already cleared by the NCAA-- was used by that college program. Everyone else was a pro and had no eligibility.

It was an asinine decision that brought deserved rancor and further questioning of the NCAA way of doing business.

What college program?
    The one that wanted to "honor" it's NBA pros as part of the event.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    The one that wanted to "honor" it's NBA pros as part of the event.
    Oh, you mean that event that had nothing to do with the NCAA?

You know, that event that had one already-cleared NCAA player playing on the other team from the pros in question.

Couple of UK recruits are coming off the board for other schools.

Andre Drummond is committing to UConn to play THIS year. That is going to be huge in that it gives the Huskies a post presence and somebody who can replace Kemba Walker's scoring ability. Add in Shabazz Napier and Jeremy Lamb and UConn will be a top 5 team.

Ricardo Ledo is set to commit to Providence. Not exactly a big loss with the depth of wings in this years class.

I'm thinking we get Archie Goodwin, Alex Poythress, and Willie Cauley to go along with Ryan Harrow. Maybe one of Shabazz Muhammad or Dajuan Coleman.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Andre Drummond is committing to UConn to play THIS year. That is going to be huge in that it gives the Huskies a post presence and somebody who can replace Kemba Walker's scoring ability. Add in Shabazz Napier and Jeremy Lamb and UConn will be a top 5 team.

Ricardo Ledo is set to commit to Providence. Not exactly a big loss with the depth of wings in this years class.

I'm thinking we get Archie Goodwin, Alex Poythress, and Willie Cauley to go along with Ryan Harrow. Maybe one of Shabazz Muhammad or Dajuan Coleman.
    I think Poythress is going to Vandy. I think UK will end up with McGary, although I am holding out hope for Florida there.

A lot of people accuse Calipari of being dirty, cheating, etc...but the dirtiest cat out there is and always has been Jim Calhoun. That Drummond thing just reeks.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

You forgot they got DeAndre Daniels as well. If Drummond is cleared by the NCAA, UCONN will be right there with UK and UNC, IMO.

I think speculating on UK's class for next year right now is a little silly... 7 of the uncommitted top 10 list UK. You hear 5 experts give their "prediction" for UK's class and hear 5 different sets of names.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    You forgot they got DeAndre Daniels as well. If Drummond is cleared by the NCAA, UCONN will be right there with UK and UNC, IMO.

I think speculating on UK's class for next year right now is a little silly... 7 of the uncommitted top 10 list UK. You hear 5 experts give their "prediction" for UK's class and hear 5 different sets of names.
    It's only silly until you consider Wiltjer was the final commitment last year, and it was around this time.

I really think the NBA lockout and the uncertainty of a two year rule has this years recruiting class waiting. For example, if you are a wing, would you commit to Kentucky knowing you would have to ride the pine behind Michael Kidd-Gilchrist or Doron Lamb (wouldn't be shocked if he came back for his junior year)?

It's only silly until you consider Wiltjer was the final commitment last year, and it was around this time.

I really think the NBA lockout and the uncertainty of a two year rule has this years recruiting class waiting. For example, if you are a wing, would you commit to Kentucky knowing you would have to ride the pine behind Michael Kidd-Gilchrist or Doron Lamb (wouldn't be shocked if he came back for his junior year)?
    Which is why it's silly to try and predict... way too many unknowns right now.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    I think Poythress is going to Vandy. I think UK will end up with McGary, although I am holding out hope for Florida there.

A lot of people accuse Calipari of being dirty, cheating, etc...but the dirtiest cat out there is and always has been Jim Calhoun. That Drummond thing just reeks.
    Vandy is going all out, but if Cal wants him (same with Coach K), its going to be a dogfight.

Agree wholeheartedly on Calhoun. I have a feeling this is his last season and there will be something come out close to tournament time involving Calhoun and Drummond. Calhoun will get out before the hammer comes down, but it will happen.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Vandy is going all out, but if Cal wants him (same with Coach K), its going to be a dogfight.

Agree wholeheartedly on Calhoun. I have a feeling this is his last season and there will be something come out close to tournament time involving Calhoun and Drummond. Calhoun will get out before the hammer comes down, but it will happen.
    Florida and Duke are in on Poythress as well, but I think it's Vandy/UK.

Drummond and Calhoun are going to be leaving UConn at the same time. And there will probably be soo much dirt that comes up on him when he leaves..
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Turn Off Ads?