The glass is 1/3 full....

Re: MLB to take control of Dodgers

Yeah -- internally, they're a mess.
    The Crimson Crusader....knows...!
    ...heh heh heh heh...

"Why does everybody stand up and sing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame"
    ...when they're already there?"

Some interesting quotes from the story at Sporting News.

Once among baseball's glamour franchises, the Dodgers have been consumed by infighting since Jamie McCourt filed for divorce after 30 years of marriage in October 2009, one week after her husband fired her as the team's chief executive. Frank McCourt accused Jamie of having an affair with her bodyguard-driver and performing poorly at work.
    "As the 50 percent owner of the Los Angeles Dodgers, I welcome and support the commissioner's actions to provide the necessary transparency, guidance and direction for the franchise and for Dodgers fans everywhere," Jamie McCourt said in a statement.
    Selig's move might be seen by some as a precedent should the New York Mets have additional financial problems. With owners Fred Wilpon and Saul Katz under pressure from a lawsuit tied to the Bernard Madoff swindle, the Mets borrowed $25 million last year from Major League Baseball. Unlike the McCourts, Wilpon is a longtime friend of Selig.
    Rumor has it that McCourt is going to sue MLB which I believe is against MLB bylaws. Walter O'Malley must be spinning in his grave.

"Kids are always chasing rainbows, but baseball is a world where you can catch them." ~
    Johnny Vander Meer

That's a Bowie knife Mrs. McCourt is twisting.

I dont like MLB taking any control of any teams; I think either a sale should happen or the team folds until they can get control of thier own ship.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    I dont like MLB taking any control of any teams; I think either a sale should happen or the team folds until they can get control of thier own ship.
    Generally I agree, but this divorce situation is ridiculous and the McCourts are leveraging the team to pay off their personal debts right now. That's a complete screwjob and pretty much requires MLB to step in.

Selling a MLB team does not happen over night. If there is inadequate cash flow to meet payroll, debt service, and all the other expenses of running a team, steps have to be taken to keep the team afloat until an investor can take it over. That won't happen in a week or a month. And MLB can not afford to have a team temporarily drop out until their financial situation is cleared up. It's not a Division 3 college program that has minimal repercussions if it disbands.

Selig can be a twit but he is probably doing what is in the best interests of MLB in this situation by preventing McCourt from sucking any more money out of the franchise.

"Kids are always chasing rainbows, but baseball is a world where you can catch them." ~
    Johnny Vander Meer

What is so frustrating with the blabbering fool that is Bud Selig.

MLB won't let McCourt get a loan from FOX, or do a 1 Billion dollar TV deal with FOX to bring in the needed revenue...

But Selig will loan the Mets & Wilpon $25 Million to make payroll?

What a Joke Selig is. The sooner he is OUT of BASEBALL, the Better.

Thats not my opinion. That's a FACT.

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    What is so frustrating with the blabbering fool that is Bud Selig.

MLB won't let McCourt get a loan from FOX, or do a 1 Billion dollar TV deal with FOX to bring in the needed revenue...

But Selig will loan the Mets & Wilpon $25 Million to make payroll?

What a Joke Selig is. The sooner he is OUT of BASEBALL, the Better.

Thats not my opinion. That's a FACT.
    Yeah, not exactly promoting equality. But I'd rather he not make the loan to at least one of them rather than make a loan to both. The McCourts are disgusting.

And that's pretty much your opinion, not a fact.

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf371 View Post
    Yeah, not exactly promoting equality. But I'd rather he not make the loan to at least one of them rather than make a loan to both. The McCourts are disgusting.

And that's pretty much your opinion, not a fact.
    No, the guy is an Owner/Friends of Owners or has personal feelings towards owners...

Pretty much when Bud Selig told Wilpon, (Met's owner - which they have been friends for many years according to the ESPN article) that he should hire Sandy Alderson, the Mets were in the Clear.

Frank McCourt tries to loan himself money from his other business, and he cannot. He tries to get a TV Deal like the Yankees did for themselves. The Commisiioner Nixes it.

The McCourts are in a Divorce. For you to call them disgusting makes no sense. I dont even like the Dodgers or the McCourts but your statement is based on their Divorce or what?

In closing, the Commisioner of Baseball should be an Outside person who is like a Mediator. An Independent party that makes decisions unbiased.

Bud Selig is a fool. Botched an All-Star Game and tinkers with the game more than anyone. Going to add more Wild Card teams for a 1 game Wild Card playoff?

It is a Conflict of Interest for this fool to be running Baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Rhymon View Post
    Selling a MLB team does not happen over night. If there is inadequate cash flow to meet payroll, debt service, and all the other expenses of running a team, steps have to be taken to keep the team afloat until an investor can take it over. That won't happen in a week or a month. And MLB can not afford to have a team temporarily drop out until their financial situation is cleared up. It's not a Division 3 college program that has minimal repercussions if it disbands.

Selig can be a twit but he is probably doing what is in the best interests of MLB in this situation by preventing McCourt from sucking any more money out of the franchise.
    I do realize all this, but I dont see how it can be done (MLB run) without a conflict of interest and effect on all the other teams either.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

I do realize all this, but I dont see how it can be done (MLB run) without a conflict of interest and effect on all the other teams either.
    It's just like when Baseball took over the Motreal Expos before they moved to Washington.

The Expos did not offer All-Star OF Vladamir Guerrero Arbitration so they didn't get Draft Picks.

EXAMPLE 1A of the Conflict of Interest!

I guess I just don't see the big deal in this. The present owner of the Dodgers is an idiot and bad for baseball as a whole, MLB stepping in while maybe not the best move, anything is better then what is happening out in LALA land right now...

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    I guess I just don't see the big deal in this. The present owner of the Dodgers is an idiot and bad for baseball as a whole, MLB stepping in while maybe not the best move, anything is better then what is happening out in LALA land right now...
    Um, how do you know he is an Idiot?

It's unsubstantiated posts like this that make it almost impossible to debate the person making the argument...

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    Um, how do you know he is an Idiot?

It's unsubstantiated posts like this that make it almost impossible to debate the person making the argument...
    Lets just go off of what happened opening day in LA and how long it took HIM to respond to it, his pathetic response and such to a FAN being almost KILLED at HIS stadium. That issue alone gets him "idiot" status. Outside of that, there is...

1. Having Joe Torre leave your organization because of how screwed up it is shows he is an idiot

2. Lying to MLB about his finacial status (which has been proven in court) shows what an idiot he is..

3. The "mess" his divorce has become is more proof....

Turn Off Ads?