Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blaine Gabbert

Blaine Gabbert

First it was Bengals.com writer Hobson, now it's Boomer and Collinsworth who all say Blaine Gabbert is the guy the Bengals will pick in the 1st rd one week from today. Boomer also slams the organization here. What did the Bengals ever do to Boomer anyway?

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/stor...s-organization

What do you folks think about Gabbert as the Bengals "guy"?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Blaine Gabbert

I'm not sure its "what did the Bengals do to Boomer" (well other than draft his replacement near the top of the draft, despite Boomer having several good seasons left in him, but more of a realistic approach to this organization. The limited scouting services, the history of skimpping on the fringe benefits that don't make a difference on the field, but definently get noticed by potential free agents and thru word of mouth from one player to another, the lack of any semblance of a plan, the Bengals are a mess starting at the top.

It was great to see Marvin come in and it seems like he had a real impact on changing the culture of the organization for a while. They spent money to upgrade little things in the weight rooms, did more for the the players, etc... but once Mike threw Marvin under the bus when he brought Chris Henry back, it seems like Marvin stopped caring as much. How many other organizations would have kept Marvin after last season? None that I know of, the team is going backwards. I'd love to see Marvin in a HC role somewhere else, to see what he could do with better organizational support.

I hear that Gruden is in love with Dalton so it wouldn't surprise me if the Bengals went another direction at 4 and then trade back into first round for Andy.

Just food for thought.....
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    I hear that Gruden is in love with Dalton so it wouldn't surprise me if the Bengals went another direction at 4 and then trade back into first round for Andy.

I heard the same thing.

What is going to be interesting is that three other teams have been linked to Andy Dalton, the Patriots, Colts, and Saints. Ironically enough, the three teams whose QB's are leading the lawsuit.

Gabbert seems to me like a Carson Palmer clone. Am I wrong?
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    Gabbert seems to me like a Carson Palmer clone. Am I wrong?
    Completely different style players coming out of college, mostly due to the offenses their schools ran. Also, Palmer was definitely higher rated than Gabbert.

If Gabbert is their guy then they'll stay at #4. Mike Brown doesn't play games like you describe. If he did, he'd have done that in 1999 and drafted Akili Smith later. In this case, teams may trade up to get Gabbert

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    If Gabbert is their guy then they'll stay at #4. Mike Brown doesn't play games like you describe. If he did, he'd have done that in 1999 and drafted Akili Smith later. In this case, teams may trade up to get Gabbert
    I never said they wouldn't stay at 4 and what "game" am I describing?

I said that Gruden loves Dalton too - so they might draft someone else at 4 and then trade back into 1st round for their second first round pick and take Dalton instead of taking Gabbert at 4 and hoping for someone with their 2nd round pick. No games.
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

- - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    I'm not sure its "what did the Bengals do to Boomer" (well other than draft his replacement near the top of the draft, despite Boomer having several good seasons left in him, but more of a realistic approach to this organization. The limited scouting services, the history of skimpping on the fringe benefits that don't make a difference on the field, but definently get noticed by potential free agents and thru word of mouth from one player to another, the lack of any semblance of a plan, the Bengals are a mess starting at the top.
    Actually I think that was at his request. In the midst of the Carson Palmer thing, there was the story that Boomer demanded out prior to the 92 draft, Mike Brown asked him to wait one year, drafted Klingler, and then accomodated his wishes sending him not only to his hometown, but to his favorite coach.

That said, I think its refreshing that Boomer speaks his mind the way that he does. This isn't a personal attack, it's just his opinion. Right, wrong, or indifferent he's making his points without letting personal feelings toward an organization bias his views.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

I said that Gruden loves Dalton too - so they might draft someone else at 4 and then trade back into 1st round for their second first round pick and take Dalton instead of taking Gabbert at 4 and hoping for someone with their 2nd round pick. No games.
    I've thought about that as well.
    Full disclosure: I have absolutely no qualifications to be the GM of a NFL team.....hmmm...maybe that means the Bengals will hire me.
    That said, if Gruden loves Andy Dalton, a possible smart move could be for the Bengals to trade Carson Palmer (and something else if necessary) to a team needing a veteran QB, such as the Titans(#8 pick), Redskins (#10) or Vikings (#12). The Bengals could then probably grab both a wide receiver they need such as Julio Jones or A.J. Green, and also later grab Dalton. I don't know if Palmer could bring a number one, even if the Bengals threw in some other draft picks, but I can dream.
    I just got this week's SI. For what it is worth, Peter King loves Dalton. He has projected that the Titans, 49ers, and Vikings should all draft Dalton but expects him to fall to Miami at #15. He predicts the Bengals will draft Gabbert but says they should draft Julio Jones.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Problem seems to be that there is some uneasiness with whether or not these QB's will be there at the top of the 2nd. N.E. is sending out signals that if you want a QB at the top of the 2nd you better come get their pick.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Full disclosure: I have absolutely no qualifications to be the GM of a NFL team.....hmmm...maybe that means the Bengals will hire me.
    That said, if Gruden loves Andy Dalton, a possible smart move could be for the Bengals to trade Carson Palmer (and something else if necessary) to a team needing a veteran QB, such as the Titans(#8 pick), Redskins (#10) or Vikings (#12). The Bengals could then probably grab both a wide receiver they need such as Julio Jones or A.J. Green, and also later grab Dalton. I don't know if Palmer could bring a number one, even if the Bengals threw in some other draft picks, but I can dream.
    I just got this week's SI. For what it is worth, Peter King loves Dalton. He has projected that the Titans, 49ers, and Vikings should all draft Dalton but expects him to fall to Miami at #15. He predicts the Bengals will draft Gabbert but says they should draft Julio Jones.
    If you were the Titans would you give up a first round pick for Palmer? After watching him play over the past few years I wouldn't. If the Bengals really like Dalton then I would draft whomever I though was the best player available at 4 and then trade up to get him in the first round.

It appears as if there will be quite a few QB's to go early in the draft. I originally thought the Reds could get a nice QB with their 2nd round pick but it doesn't appear that way. And the Pats are holding their early 2nd round pick ransom for whoever wants to take one of the remaining QB's.

My last option is just to draft Dalton with the 4th pick. If he is the QB you like the best then why not take him? Its one thing I hate about the slotting system. Take the guy who you like, don't worry about draft him too early or missing out on him because he didn't project to go in slot X.

The "game" is trading something to get into a position to get Gabbert. I disagree with you that if they want Gabbert they'll stay at 4 and draft someone else. My point is if they decide Gabbert is their guy then they'll take him at #4

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post

It's my understanding that no players (like Carson Palmer) can be traded. The NFL doesn't do "Players to be named later" like baseball so forget any trades before the 2011 draft that include Carson

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    The "game" is trading something to get into a position to get Gabbert. I disagree with you that if they want Gabbert they'll stay at 4 and draft someone else. My point is if they decide Gabbert is their guy then they'll take him at #4
    Again - I stated that they would REMAIN at 4. Then they would draft AJ Green or someone of that stature and then trade BACK into the first round to try and get DALTON.

Seriously, I've stated that 3 times now and everyone understood it but you. Its only what I read from Peter King and then someone's twitter so it might have no legs at all. Its just common knowledge that Gruden likes Dalton a lot. And that Dalton is moving up fast on some teams draft boards.
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

- - Fletch

Again - I stated that they would REMAIN at 4. Then they would draft AJ Green or someone of that stature and then trade BACK into the first round to try and get DALTON.

Seriously, I've stated that 3 times now and everyone understood it but you. Its only what I read from Peter King and then someone's twitter so it might have no legs at all. Its just common knowledge that Gruden likes Dalton a lot. And that Dalton is moving up fast on some teams draft boards.
    Peter King has a good track record with the Bengals intentions. If he says it, it generally is rooted in info leaked from the Bengals directly.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Turn Off Ads?