Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Blaine Gabbert

Re: Blaine Gabbert

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    Again - I stated that they would REMAIN at 4. Then they would draft AJ Green or someone of that stature and then trade BACK into the first round to try and get DALTON.

Seriously, I've stated that 3 times now and everyone understood it but you. Its only what I read from Peter King and then someone's twitter so it might have no legs at all. Its just common knowledge that Gruden likes Dalton a lot. And that Dalton is moving up fast on some teams draft boards.
    We'll see if you're right. If they end up with Dalton, we heard it here first. I heard you. I just think you're wrong that's all. But if Dalton's wearing Bengal stripes this year I'll give you kudos. I always do

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    We'll see if you're right. If they end up with Dalton, we heard it here first. I heard you. I just think you're wrong that's all. But if Dalton's wearing Bengal stripes this year I'll give you kudos. I always do
    Whoa - I'm a Giant fan, my insight into the Bengals is small. I am just offering what Peter King has heard and I believe Adam Schefter too.

I don't need credit or kudos or anything as I am just quoting two separate reporters.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    Whoa - I'm a Giant fan, my insight into the Bengals is small. I am just offering what Peter King has heard and I believe Adam Schefter too.

I don't need credit or kudos or anything as I am just quoting two separate reporters.
    None of us know anything. All we can do is report what we hear and where we heard it. I hadn't heard that King report (thanks ) but I don't think he knows his Bengals stuff. In fact I think he's very anti-Bengals but one week to go us football fans are thirsting for whatever we can gather

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    None of us know anything. All we can do is report what we hear and where we heard it. I hadn't heard that King report (thanks ) but I don't think he knows his Bengals stuff. In fact I think he's very anti-Bengals but one week to go us football fans are thirsting for whatever we can gather
    King knows his Bengals stuff, he is just another guy that doesn't like how they do business. Same can be said about Esiason, Collinsworth, Thornton, etc, etc, etc.....

Dave Lapham occasionally lets it fly on the Bengals as well. These guys have every right to be angry at them.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Found an interesting article on Gabbert

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?...t_stock_041911
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Bengals, just say no to Gabbert.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

I'm a Mizzou fan and have watched Gabbert for years. The only thing I'm concerned about is that when he is rushed, he tends to get happy feet and doesn't react well. His foot work needs some brushing up as well.

That said, I think those things can be fixed. He is very accurate and will do will if there is an established receiver corp. If you look at his stats when Denario Alexander was on the Mizzoue team, he was off the charts. However, if he goes to a team that is shaky at the receiver position, it is going to take a couple of years to develop into a decent to good NFL quarterback. Some guys just have it. Sam Bradford, for example, was good from day one. Gabbert though is a project but I see him potentially being a better QB, in the long run, than many of the QB's in this draft.

His intelligence is also a plus. I know you have to take the wonderlic with a grain of salt but if his score is any indication (42), the guy will be able to get a playbook under his belt relatively quickly. As a previous link stated, the guy has almost photographic memory. To give you an indication, Sam Bradford scored a 36 on his wonderlic and that is considered amazing. I'm not saying that the Wonderlic is the end all but it is a good indication of intelligence and a players ability to logically assess a given situation.

On a whole, don't expect too much from Gabbert in the first and second year. However, he has tons of upside and I think he will be successful in the next level.

By the way, the other positive is that this guy is a boyscout off the field. He isn't a Ryan Mallet type personality away from the football field.
    Last edited by MikeThierry; 04-22-2011 at 12:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    I'm a Mizzou fan and have watched Gabbert for years. The only thing I'm concerned about is that when he is rushed, he tends to get happy feet and doesn't react well. His foot work needs some brushing up as well.

That said, I think those things can be fixed.
    He is very accurate and will do will if there is an established receiver corp. If you look at his stats when Denario Alexander was on the Mizzoue team, he was off the charts. However, if he goes to a team that is shaky at the receiver position, it is going to take a couple of years to develop into a decent to good NFL quarterback. Some guys just have it. Sam Bradford, for example, was good from day one. Gabbert though is a project but I see him potentially being a better QB, in the long run, than many of the QB's in this draft.

His intelligence is also a plus. I know you have to take the wonderlic with a grain of salt but if his score is any indication (42), the guy will be able to get a playbook under his belt relatively quickly. As a previous link stated, the guy has almost photographic memory. To give you an indication, Sam Bradford scored a 36 on his wonderlic and that is considered amazing. I'm not saying that the Wonderlic is the end all but it is a good indication of intelligence and a players ability to logically assess a given situation.

On a whole, don't expect too much from Gabbert in the first and second year. However, he has tons of upside and I think he will be successful in the next level.

By the way, the other positive is that this guy is a boyscout off the field. He isn't a Ryan Mallet type personality away from the football field.
    With all due respect you can't fix yella. If that is what he is then he will not be very successful. I have heard this before and just not sure what to make of it other than being scared and that is at the college level.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    With all due respect you can't fix yella. If that is what he is then he will not be very successful. I have heard this before and just not sure what to make of it other than being scared and that is at the college level.
    I suppose that's possible, but it's just one explanation. Lots of college QBs pull the ball down and try to escape when they're being rushed, but most often, they're just trying to make a play, as opposed to throwing it away and taking the hit. The wisdom of the latter choice often doesn't sink in until the NFL, after they've discovered it's very difficult to escape.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Completely disagree with that. There are several successful QB's that needed footwork when coming into the NFL. Heck, even seeing Bradford this year, there was a considerable difference between his footwork from the beginning of the season and towards the end. It is something that can be fixed with a year or two of NFL experience under his belt.

I personally think the most important thing, starting out, for a QB is the mental ability to grasp the game. Gabbert clearly has that. The rest of stuff will come with time with him.

I ask this for education, so feel free to inform me.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player...layerId=381364

I'm not looking at his name, just his numbers...it just doesn't jump out to me that this guy is a top-5 pick. What am I missing?

And I ask this seriously, I've never seen the guy play.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    Completely disagree with that. There are several successful QB's that needed footwork when coming into the NFL. Heck, even seeing Bradford this year, there was a considerable difference between his footwork from the beginning of the season and towards the end. It is something that can be fixed with a year or two of NFL experience under his belt.

I personally think the most important thing, starting out, for a QB is the mental ability to grasp the game. Gabbert clearly has that. The rest of stuff will come with time with him.

I didn't comment on his footwork perse'. What I was commenting on was the fact he gets happy feet in the face of the rush, that speaks more to being a bit tight in the backside. The fact that he is watching the rush so often is a big red flag in the 1st place. Guys who do that out of fear are worthless no matter how much talent they have.

This is the only thing that concerns me in the least about this kid. Is he running at the slightest glimpse of defenders because he is scared, tough to know what other explanation there is for this kind of behavior.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 04-22-2011 at 07:56 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I ask this for education, so feel free to inform me.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player...layerId=381364

I'm not looking at his name, just his numbers...it just doesn't jump out to me that this guy is a top-5 pick. What am I missing?

And I ask this seriously, I've never seen the guy play.
    You don't have to have the numbers to have the potential ability IMO. Sure you'd like them to have them but we have seen guys with poor numbers become great at the NFL level and vice versa. Numbers aren't always a true definition of the individual in a team sport.

--Woody Hayes

kaldaniels, the Mizzou receiving corp wasn't very good last year and their RB was actually kicked off the team due to trouble with the law. It was almost a rebuilding year after having Jeremy Maclin and Denario Alexander in back to back years in the Mizzou receiving corp. If you look at his numbers when he actually had a legit receiver in the lineup, he did well. Denario Alexander led the nation in receiving yards in 09. That is in part due to Alexander's speed but a lot of it had to do with Gabbert. All I'm saying is that last years numbers don't tell the whole story. From watching most of Mizzou's games, he has a big time arm and is very athletic for his size.

Another thing in which the stats do not tell the story is his toughness. In 09, he was literally destroyed by Suh when Nebraska beat the Tigers. In that game, Gabbert suffered an ankle injury, something like a strained ankle or something. That didn't allow him to plant his leg correctly most of that season. Even though he was limping around in games, he still played. He is a tough guy that will put his body on the line for the team. He has shown he will play through injuries that will take a lot of QB's out of the game. Lets just say he doesn't suffer from the Jay Cutler syndrome.

Yeah some of his numbers might not be impressive on the surface but there are a lot of things behind the numbers that need to be taken into consideration and there are a lot of intangibles with Gabbert that, in my opinion, would make him a good starting QB in the NFL later down the road.

Mario, I think also maybe part of why he kind of got frantic when rushed was due to him playing with that injury. There are a lot of QB's that come into the league that have this issue and they get over it. I'm not saying Gabbert is ready to play now. I think he needs time to develop as an NFL QB. All I'm saying on this issue is that its fixable.

You don't have to have the numbers to have the potential ability IMO. Sure you'd like them to have them but we have seen guys with poor numbers become great at the NFL level and vice versa. Numbers aren't always a true definition of the individual in a team sport.
    Facts I am well aware of. Like I said, what am I missing?

Turn Off Ads?