Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fight revisited

Re: Fight revisited

Anyone that didn't want to get hurt had the option of not participating in the first place. Was Larue forced to participate? Nope. Did anyone hold a gun to anyone's head? Larue doesn't have any standing to sue, he willingly went out there into the brawl.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    LaRue is claiming the incident ended his career because he got a concussion over it and doctors told him he shouldn't play (he had previous concussions). So, it's no laughing matter. I wouldn't be surprised if LaRue ends up suing over it, although I hope it doesn't come to that. Plus, LaRue has plenty of money in the bank due to the Reds overpaying him all those years. Compare our catching situation now to the LaRue years. Yikes.
    I hope LaRue doesn't sue as well, and I don't think he wiil. I don't think he would have much of a case if he did. Nobody forced him to join the brawl. We all know that players can get hurt when they get involved in a brawl. I'm a little upset that Chris Carpenter joined in, because losing any of you starting pitchers for an extended period of time would hurt any team, and I don't think he had any reason to be out there. I understand wanting to protect your teammates, but let someone else do that. I think that was a role that LaRue was taking. He got hurt doing it. Let's face it though, he is 37 this year. How many catchers are still playing after age 37? I don't know if LaRue would have been playing this year anyways...fight or no fight. Sure, it's easier for him to say that he is retiring because of the fight. That may be part of the reason, but I don't think it's the only reason.

I can't believe that I only just saw this.
    http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/s...otebook-042511

BASEBRAWL: DIFFICULT FOR A DAD TO EXPLAIN
    Cardinals right-hander Chris Carpenter still has scars on his back from last year’s brawl with the Reds. His former catcher, Jason LaRue, retired after suffering a concussion from Reds righty Johnny Cueto kicking him in the face. But anyone who expected Carpenter to retaliate Saturday should have heard him talk about the effect of the fight on his two children, Sam, 8, and Ava, 5. Carpenter said Ava talks about the brawl all the time, probably mentioned it five or six times during the spring, even knows Cueto’s name. As for Sam, Carpenter says, “How do you explain that to your 8-year-old son? You’re in this big, huge brawl. ‘Why is that, Daddy? Why are you fighting with everyone?’ It’s difficult to explain.”

Carpenter concludes: “It’s not what baseball is, not what baseball is about.”

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post

So did they go on in detail of how he did explain it to his son?

Quote Originally Posted by crazybob60 View Post
    They have to leave some mystery so that we can continue to wonder how Chris Carpenter explains stuff to his son

Quote Originally Posted by crazybob60 View Post

I wonder if he told his son, if you are picked up by a gang of thugs and pinned against a wall, just go with it and do nothing to defend yourself?

But anyone who expected Carpenter to retaliate Saturday should have heard him talk about the effect of the fight on his two children, Sam, 8, and Ava, 5. Carpenter said Ava talks about the brawl all the time, probably mentioned it five or six times during the spring, even knows Cueto’s name. As for Sam, Carpenter says, “How do you explain that to your 8-year-old son? You’re in this big, huge brawl. ‘Why is that, Daddy? Why are you fighting with everyone?’ It’s difficult to explain.”

"Well you see Sammy, it all started back in 2003, about the time your were conceived. Daddy was a mediocre pitcher, who...despite being in the prime years of his career, was a sub .500 starter going nowhere. I suffered an injury which should have ended my career. But, instead of having to get a real job like being an accountant, teacher, or coach....I signed with the Cardinals and starting doing rehab. During my rehab the trainers introduced me to this really cool magic substance during that 2003 season. And guess what Sammy? Not only was I able to play again, but suddenly....I was one of the most dominant players in all of baseball. Why, I could suddenly strike guys out whenever I needed to, throw more innings than I ever had when I was young, and stop walking guys or giving up homers. It was miraculous Sammy!

Well, Sammy...there is one bad side to go along with the improved numbers, huge paychecks and daddy's suddenly big muscles. I became a bonafied jackwagon. Yes, daddy just said jackwagon. So, included with that receding hairine and gigantic feet and head....daddy also has a little temper. So, I not only was at the core of why the brawl started...but I just had to get out there because I have this burning anger within me, but as I tell you all at home, the magic cream made me do it.

And that Sammy.....is how daddy got into the brawl.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Hahaha!!! How will he explain this to his son lives!!

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    "Well you see Sammy, it all started back in 2003, about the time your were conceived. Daddy was a mediocre pitcher, who...despite being in the prime years of his career, was a sub .500 starter going nowhere. I suffered an injury which should have ended my career. But, instead of having to get a real job like being an accountant, teacher, or coach....I signed with the Cardinals and starting doing rehab. During my rehab the trainers introduced me to this really cool magic substance during that 2003 season. And guess what Sammy? Not only was I able to play again, but suddenly....I was one of the most dominant players in all of baseball. Why, I could suddenly strike guys out whenever I needed to, throw more innings than I ever had when I was young, and stop walking guys or giving up homers. It was miraculous Sammy!

Well, Sammy...there is one bad side to go along with the improved numbers, huge paychecks and daddy's suddenly big muscles. I became a bonafied jackwagon. Yes, daddy just said jackwagon. So, included with that receding hairine and gigantic feet and head....daddy also has a little temper. So, I not only was at the core of why the brawl started...but I just had to get out there because I have this burning anger within me, but as I tell you all at home, the magic cream made me do it.

And that Sammy.....is how daddy got into the brawl.
    Not to mention the "magic substance" was readily available due to it being made in Tony LaRussa's lab in his basement.

One thing that's important to point out, whether or not Cueto should have put himself in that position has no bearing on what he should do when he's pinned against a wall.

If I've heard the argument once I've heard it 100 times. "Cueto shouldn't kick" then after a counter explaining he didn't have much in the way of options, "Yeah well he never should have put himself in that position."

While you can make either argument, whether or not he should have avoided being at the back of the scrum, he didn't. Once he was faced with that situation kicking was truly self defense.

I've pointed out that in my opinion, pretty much everything was a set of unfortunate circumstances.

1) Cueto found himself pinned up against the wall, doesn't really kick so much as pulls his legs up to protect himself and give himself some leverage.

2) Cueto is pushing off on Carpenter's back which probably doesn't feel good, but also probably isn't going to end anyone's career. However, in the commotion, Jason Larue sees Johnny Cueto hurting HIS pitcher.

3) Larue does what every good teammate does, he goes after Cueto.
    4) Cueto does what any reasonable person does when confronted with a guy bigger, heavier, stronger guy wildly chasing after him, he kicks to stay away.
    5) In this commotion, Gomes does what all good teammates do and goes after the guy "attacking" HIS pitcher.

6) Really can't we just accept that this is Carpenter's fault and move on?
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

I vote for (6). Hoosier Red, you are one of the better posters on here.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Chris the Priss...yup, still talking about it...

BASEBRAWL: DIFFICULT FOR A DAD TO EXPLAIN
    Cardinals right-hander Chris Carpenter still has scars on his back from last year’s brawl with the Reds. His former catcher, Jason LaRue, retired after suffering a concussion from Reds righty Johnny Cueto kicking him in the face. But anyone who expected Carpenter to retaliate Saturday should have heard him talk about the effect of the fight on his two children, Sam, 8, and Ava, 5.

Carpenter said Ava talks about the brawl all the time, probably mentioned it five or six times during the spring, even knows Cueto’s name. As for Sam, Carpenter says, “How do you explain that to your 8-year-old son? You’re in this big, huge brawl. ‘Why is that, Daddy? Why are you fighting with everyone?’ It’s difficult to explain.”

Re: Chris the Priss...yup, still talking about it...

Yawn.

Tell Chris to call Bill Lee, Jim Brewer or John Rosenboro.

Most people (both in Cincinnati and St. Louis) are ready to let it go, but he keeps bringing it up. If tensions escalate between the Reds and Cardinals some time this season, then I point the finger of blame directly at him for refusing to allow it to die.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Yawn.

Tell Chris to call Bill Lee, Jim Brewer or John Rosenboro.
    I doubt he's heard of them. He thinks the game began the moment he stepped on a major league mound for the first time.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Turn Off Ads?