Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rolen

Rolen

Here it comes again with Rolen and shoulder/back trouble. He has been no help at all to this club post all-star break last year and to think things will improve is wishful thinking. He was horrible in the playoffs last year when his back bothered him and is 35 going on 45. Walt needs to be aggresive and find a power hitting third baseman to take his place and move on. I guess they should have known they were in trouble when they only planned to play him 120 games, rest him 2-3 times a week when he was healthy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rolen

People are wanting the Reds to make a move..well here you go, I saw Walt needs to pick up the phone, call a former trade partner down in Texas and see what we can swing to bring Michael Young to the Reds.

Great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    People are wanting the Reds to make a move..well here you go, I saw Walt needs to pick up the phone, call a former trade partner down in Texas and see what we can swing to bring Michael Young to the Reds.
    This is by FAR the Best Post you have ever had!

I agree 110%

Mike Young would be a perfect bat for the Reds and could play 3B or SS everyday... Only moving to 3rd Base when Rolen needs a day off...

I would also not be afraid to Bat Young 4th behind Votto...

I am Serious Brm7675 - I agree totally...

This would be a Great Move!

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    This is by FAR the Best Post you have ever had!

I agree 110%

Mike Young would be a perfect bat for the Reds and could play 3B or SS everyday... Only moving to 3rd Base when Rolen needs a day off...

I would also not be afraid to Bat Young 4th behind Votto...

I am Serious Brm7675 - I agree totally...

This would be a Great Move!
    The problem is...Walt would not even consider it and I doubt our owner would permit. A) Young has a pretty steep contract B) Rolen is the owners 'boy' as it was the owner who wanted Rolen in cincy.

So while I would be willing to offer say Heisey, Meresco and a either a Leake/Lecure or Malloney for him, it will never even be discussed by Walt. The Reds will play Cairo this weekend and IF by Monday Rolen is still unable I see them DL'ing him and bringing up Frazier possibly to back up Cairo as Cairo is your NEW starting 3rd basemen.

Why dont you guys settle down a little bit and see where this thing goes, he had a cortisone shot he'll be back in 3 or 4 games. His defense at 3rd base is the best in all of baseball and his hitting will come around, but he isn't an everyday player anymore and the Reds really have to monitor how much he plays. The guy that needs to step up in this series is Jay Bruce as he is now hitting in the 5 hole. If Jay Bruce hits while Rolen is out the Reds will be just fine and I love Gomes in the 4 hole with his HR power and OBP.

I'd like to see someone in Triple A really excel to come up and get some playing time at 3rd while Rolen has his rest days right now theres a handful of candidates, Francisco when he comes off the DL, Kris Negron and even Todd Frazier any of these guys could come up and play well on Rolens days off all while keeping him healthy to play well and finish the season strong. Don't fret fellas, we'll be just fine and remember we could always still have Edwin Encarnacion playing 3rd base, thank God we don't.

JMHO

Maybe the Reds could sign Ken Caminiti to play 3B? Former All-Star & MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Jones1 View Post
    Why dont you guys settle down a little bit and see where this thing goes, he had a cortisone shot he'll be back in 3 or 4 games. His defense at 3rd base is the best in all of baseball and his hitting will come around, but he isn't an everyday player anymore and the Reds really have to monitor how much he plays. The guy that needs to step up in this series is Jay Bruce as he is now hitting in the 5 hole. If Jay Bruce hits while Rolen is out the Reds will be just fine and I love Gomes in the 4 hole with his HR power and OBP.

I'd like to see someone in Triple A really excel to come up and get some playing time at 3rd while Rolen has his rest days right now theres a handful of candidates, Francisco when he comes off the DL, Kris Negron and even Todd Frazier any of these guys could come up and play well on Rolens days off all while keeping him healthy to play well and finish the season strong. Don't fret fellas, we'll be just fine and remember we could always still have Edwin Encarnacion playing 3rd base, thank God we don't.

JMHO
    you do grasp Rolen's history, age adn severity of the injury?

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    Maybe the Reds could sign Ken Caminiti to play 3B? Former All-Star & MVP
    Not to sound morbid...but he killed himself a few years back.

I think you have to look at what he'll give you over the course of the year and be okay with it. He's not going to play a ton of games but we already knew he wouldn't. He'll play gold glove defense, run the bases hard, and hit somewhere around .280 with a fair share of rbis. There's also a good chance he'll tire at the end of the season which is why I hope he sits a lot of games throughout the summer.

I do agree we need to start planning on the future though, I'm not exactly sold on Francisco even though I haven't seen him play with any degree of regularity.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    I think you have to look at what he'll give you over the course of the year and be okay with it. He's not going to play a ton of games but we already knew he wouldn't. He'll play gold glove defense, run the bases hard, and hit somewhere around .280 with a fair share of rbis. There's also a good chance he'll tire at the end of the season which is why I hope he sits a lot of games throughout the summer.

I do agree we need to start planning on the future though, I'm not exactly sold on Francisco even though I haven't seen him play with any degree of regularity.
    Before this injury issue arose I was hoping for maybe 120-125 games from Rolen, with this injury problem I am seeing maybe 80-100 and that is not acceptable. A couple of shots and a weekend "off" won't solve this problem. We can't afford to "hope" he gets better, if you can improve your team why wouldn't you?

Before this injury issue arose I was hoping for maybe 120-125 games from Rolen, with this injury problem I am seeing maybe 80-100 and that is not acceptable. A couple of shots and a weekend "off" won't solve this problem. We can't afford to "hope" he gets better, if you can improve your team why wouldn't you?
    If this injury continues to linger and ends up being a 'real' problem then yes I would agree with you.

I would rather look for a long term solution at 3rd base if Rolen will be able to stay productive in a limited starting role for this entire season. If nothing else, see a lot more of Francisco even though that hasn't been great so far.

you do grasp Rolen's history, age adn severity of the injury?
    Its not an injury yet if it was he'd be DLed right now, its a "SORE SHOULDER". Why all the doom and gloom lets wait and see how the treatment goes before we start talking about trading prospects 20 games into the season for a high priced player! Come on man....

why do you keep calling it an injury? Its not!

The Reds would never trade for Young but if they did the Rangers aren't going to trade Young anyway, when Hamilton is out for the next two months!

Turn Off Ads?