Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 34

Thread: Unwritten Rules of Baseball

  1. #1
    Member MikeThierry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, Mo
    Posts
    3,499

    Unwritten Rules of Baseball

    This story kind of caught my eye. Manager of the Cubs, Quade, was angered at the Dodgers for attempting to steal a base even though the Dodgers were up by 7 runs. Here is the link to the article:

    http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/ml...ory?id=6411872


    My question is, do you think that the "unwritten rules of baseball" is something that all players need to follow or do you think people go overboard with this stuff?
    “Our next home stand follows this road trip.”

    “I just want to tell everyone Happy Easter and Happy Hanukkah.” says on the day before Easter

    Mike Shannon

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,155

    Re: Unwritten Rules of Baseball

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    This story kind of caught my eye. Manager of the Cubs, Quade, was angered at the Dodgers for attempting to steal a base even though the Dodgers were up by 7 runs. Here is the link to the article:

    http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/ml...ory?id=6411872


    My question is, do you think that the "unwritten rules of baseball" is something that all players need to follow or do you think people go overboard with this stuff?
    Did the Cubs stop trying to score? I mean how many times you see on Sportscenter where a team is trailing late and scores a lot of runs in the 9th to win? Unless its blatently clear the Cubs aren't going to try and score I keep playing my game.
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

    Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"


  4. #3
    Member Cedric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Monroe
    Posts
    6,371

    Re: Unwritten Rules of Baseball

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    This story kind of caught my eye. Manager of the Cubs, Quade, was angered at the Dodgers for attempting to steal a base even though the Dodgers were up by 7 runs. Here is the link to the article:

    http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/ml...ory?id=6411872


    My question is, do you think that the "unwritten rules of baseball" is something that all players need to follow or do you think people go overboard with this stuff?
    Quade looks like a complete idiot here, IMO. It's Wrigley field and the Dodgers had just given up 8 runs in the ninth inning on Tuesday. Play to win the game and quit worrying about dumb unwritten rules.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

  5. #4
    Member MikeThierry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, Mo
    Posts
    3,499

    Re: Unwritten Rules of Baseball

    Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Quade looks like a complete idiot here, IMO. It's Wrigley field and the Dodgers had just given up 8 runs in the ninth inning on Tuesday. Play to win the game and quit worrying about dumb unwritten rules.
    I totally agree with this. There is a famous Whitey Herzog quote where someone from the other team complained about him stealing when the game was well in hand. His response was something like "Well we can stop stealing if you stop trying to score runs".

    Another incident that reminded me about the stupidity of following "unwritten rules" was the Braden incident last year with A-Rod.

    Are there any "unwritten rules" that should be followed in baseball?
    “Our next home stand follows this road trip.”

    “I just want to tell everyone Happy Easter and Happy Hanukkah.” says on the day before Easter

    Mike Shannon

  6. #5
    Member GADawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Athens, Georgia
    Posts
    1,109

    Re: Unwritten Rules of Baseball

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    I totally agree with this. There is a famous Whitey Herzog quote where someone from the other team complained about him stealing when the game was well in hand. His response was something like "Well we can stop stealing if you stop trying to score runs".

    Another incident that reminded me about the stupidity of following "unwritten rules" was the Braden incident last year with A-Rod.

    Are there any "unwritten rules" that should be followed in baseball?
    i think there's a certain degree of etiquette to abide by(maybe I'll think of some)but I agree with playing as hard as you can til the end. If I'm coaching a little league team then maybe i don't want to embarrass the other team but these guys are supposed to be pros....If Quade and the cubs don't want to be shown up the easy solution is to play better

  7. #6
    Member GADawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Athens, Georgia
    Posts
    1,109

    Re: Unwritten Rules of Baseball

    furthermore....if I'm paying for a ticket and the teams quit trying in the 6th i kinda doubt they're gonna give me back 3 innings of my money

  8. #7
    Member blumj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Northern MA
    Posts
    4,596

    Re: Unwritten Rules of Baseball

    Really, just a 7 run lead 1 out into the 5th? Crazy.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

  9. #8
    Member MikeThierry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, Mo
    Posts
    3,499

    Re: Unwritten Rules of Baseball

    Quote Originally Posted by GADawg View Post
    i think there's a certain degree of etiquette to abide by(maybe I'll think of some)but I agree with playing as hard as you can til the end. If I'm coaching a little league team then maybe i don't want to embarrass the other team but these guys are supposed to be pros....If Quade and the cubs don't want to be shown up the easy solution is to play better
    I think one of the few situations where I would side with the "unwritten rules of baseball" would be bunting to break up a no-hitter in the 9th inning when your team is down by 4-5 runs.
    “Our next home stand follows this road trip.”

    “I just want to tell everyone Happy Easter and Happy Hanukkah.” says on the day before Easter

    Mike Shannon

  10. #9
    Member SirFelixCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    5,920

    Re: Unwritten Rules of Baseball

    Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    Really, just a 7 run lead 1 out into the 5th? Crazy.
    Totally agree...but at the same time, LATE in the game (8th inning or so?) I think it becomes an issue of etiquette and not trying to embarrass the other team...



    But, with that said, we ran into a similar situation last week in my MSBL leauge game. We're up 12 runs in the 7th and I stop having my guys steal. My shut down pitcher comes in and he hurts his arm, so we're caught in a bad spot and end up losing the game in the final inning. So, in real life, competitive leagues, but obvious not pro, where do I stop applying pressure to the other team? Normally, I'd think in the 7th or 8th inning, like in that game, but having my team implode like that, I find myself wanting to keep pushing all the way thru...but I don't want to be thought of as an ******* in my league. Help?

  11. #10
    Haunted by walks
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Syracuse
    Posts
    6,569

    Re: Unwritten Rules of Baseball

    Intentionally walking a batter in the ninth inning with a 55-game hitting streak on the line?

  12. #11
    Member 11larkin11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Bellefontaine,OH
    Posts
    2,332

    Re: Unwritten Rules of Baseball

    My roommate (Cubs fan, so that should explain it) was pretty pissed on Joey's homerun tonight and said he was a jerk because he said its an unwritten rule not to swing on 3-0. I called him an idiot and laughed at him.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

    ---TRF

    "I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

    --Bronson Arroyo

  13. #12
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Ohio
    Posts
    9,052

    Re: Unwritten Rules of Baseball

    Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    My roommate (Cubs fan, so that should explain it) was pretty pissed on Joey's homerun tonight and said he was a jerk because he said its an unwritten rule not to swing on 3-0. I called him an idiot and laughed at him.
    Yeah let's give the poor Cy Young award winner a chance to be competitive here. Smack him in the forehead once for me.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

    --Woody Hayes

  14. #13
    Member blumj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Northern MA
    Posts
    4,596

    Re: Unwritten Rules of Baseball

    Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    My roommate (Cubs fan, so that should explain it) was pretty pissed on Joey's homerun tonight and said he was a jerk because he said its an unwritten rule not to swing on 3-0. I called him an idiot and laughed at him.
    I wonder if that one is somehow connected to HP umps with the 3-0 gift strikes?
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

  15. #14
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    15,898

    Re: Unwritten Rules of Baseball

    I hate this crap. You're a pro. Don't want them to steal? Throw 'em out.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

  16. #15
    Box of Frogs edabbs44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    16,296

    Re: Unwritten Rules of Baseball

    I think some of the unwritten rules should be followed. But those in shades of grey are crap. Don't steal, hit and run or bunt people over while up 12 in the ninth. W/o a doubt. But complaining about something in the 5th inning is garbage.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25