Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Baserunning Blunders

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,385

    Baserunning Blunders

    I wonder how much, if any, fault lies with Dusty and the coaches. Does the staff prepare the players sufficiently -- drills, chalkboard, simulated game conditions, etc.?

    Recall, for example, Bruce's getting thrown out by that 2nd baseman from foul territory on the throwing error past first base (home game -- can't recall the opponent).

    Hatcher (first base coach) was emphatically pointing to the second base bag, which apparently caused Bruce (called "safe" at first base), after running past the bag into foul territory, to decide to come back into fair territory towards second base and get tagged out.

    Surely Hatcher has seen second basemen back up overthtows to first base hundreds of times over the years.

    I wonder on Friday if Berry (the third base coach) had informed Gomes whether or not the contact play was on in the event of an infield grounder? And if Jonny obeyed or ignored the signal? Who knows?

    Perhaps some of you will disagree about the coaching, perhaps some of you can think of other examples.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member Spitball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    5,618

    Re: Baserunning Blunders

    Quote Originally Posted by Far East View Post
    I wonder how much, if any, fault lies with Dusty and the coaches. Does the staff prepare the players sufficiently -- drills, chalkboard, simulated game conditions, etc.?

    Recall, for example, Bruce's getting thrown out by that 2nd baseman from foul territory on the throwing error past first base (home game -- can't recall the opponent).

    Hatcher (first base coach) was emphatically pointing to the second base bag, which apparently caused Bruce (called "safe" at first base), after running past the bag into foul territory, to decide to come back into fair territory towards second base and get tagged out.

    Surely Hatcher has seen second basemen back up overthtows to first base hundreds of times over the years.?
    Sometimes, coaches make aggressive gambles. It puts pressure on the opposition's defense. Unfortunately, sometimes it isn't a wise decision.

    Quote Originally Posted by Far East View Post
    I wonder on Friday if Berry (the third base coach) had informed Gomes whether or not the contact play was on in the event of an infield grounder? And if Jonny obeyed or ignored the signal? Who knows?
    I didn't see the game, so I don't know exactly what happened. The contact play is usually when there are runners on second and third with less than two outs. It is typically a good strategy, and Gomes should have been looking for and eager for the opportunity.

    Perhaps there was a missed sign. I have heard it estimated that at least 40% of all baseball signs are missed. Between those from the catcher, from the third base coach, and between fielders, there are over a thousand signs flashed from both teams in a typical nine inning game. Some will be missed.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

  4. #3
    Member MikeThierry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, Mo
    Posts
    3,498

    Re: Baserunning Blunders

    This issue seems to go on baseball wide. I think it speaks to the lack of fundamentals in the average baseball player compared to even 10 years ago, than it is anything Dusty isn't or is doing. There isn't a baseball game that I watch where someone isn't making a fundamental error. Part of it has to do with big salaries but I think a lot of it has to do with the steroid era and the love of the long ball. Unlike back in the 60's, 70's, and 80's; a base running or fielding error would be more significant than in the 90's/2000's because those errors could be covered up simply because of the threat of the home run.

    What is good, in a way, is that baseball is getting back to those close games where bad fundamentals have drastic outcomes in the result of the game. I have a feeling that teams will be starting to play "cleaner", so to speak, in the next couple of years because of this factor.
    “Our next home stand follows this road trip.”

    “I just want to tell everyone Happy Easter and Happy Hanukkah.” says on the day before Easter

    Mike Shannon

  5. #4
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    18,503

    Re: Baserunning Blunders

    The irony is that there have been several recent articles about how the reds baserunning represented a primary sign of a culture change brought to the clubhouse through importing veteran leadership.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,385

    Re: Baserunning Blunders

    Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    Sometimes, coaches make aggressive gambles. It puts pressure on the opposition's defense. Unfortunately, sometimes it isn't a wise decision...
    Agreed. But in this case, Hatch was pointing to second base just a slit second before the second baseman picked up the ball; Bruce could have not made it half-way to the next base.

    The cameraman saw it but evidently Billy did not. In all fairness, any human can be forgiven for missing one.

    A related example: Heisey's getting picked off at first base Fri. night to end the rally against the Cards. Chris was almost half-way to second as if he thought the count was 3-2.

  7. #6
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    8,128

    Re: Baserunning Blunders

    Quote Originally Posted by Far East View Post
    Agreed. But in this case, Hatch was pointing to second base just a slit second before the second baseman picked up the ball; Bruce could have not made it half-way to the next base.
    Watch it again. Bruce never even looks at Hatcher prior to him making that 1/2 step towards 2nd. He made that move when he saw the ball squirt into his view.

    ~edit~ Sorry, now I can't find the clip or I'd post it.
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 04-25-2011 at 11:09 AM.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,385

    Re: Baserunning Blunders

    Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Watch it again. Bruce never even looks at Hatcher prior to him making that 1/2 step towards 2nd. He made that move when he saw the ball squirt into his view.

    ~edit~ Sorry, now I can't find the clip or I'd post it.
    I do not doubt that you are correct about Bruce, and that mistake should be easy to correct.

    But I think that Hatcher was concentrating so hard on the safe or out play at the bag that he never looked (or looked too late) toward the second baseman in foul ground; that too is forgiveable.

    I was simply trying to see if there was any cause/effect pattern to the base running mistakes -- aside from the relatively young age of the players.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25