Turn Off Ads?
Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 293536373839

Thread: Reds @ Cards, 04/24/2011 - The Rubber Game, ESPN Game of the week

Re: Reds @ Cards, 04/24/2011 - The Rubber Game, ESPN Game of the week

I to the chagrin of many, don't mind seeing a pitcher earn a couple extra inches if he is hitting his spots. But when a reliever waltzes in and gets calls like that....that's when the other side of my brain wants a laser defined strike zone with no margin for error. I truly do go back and forth on the issue.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I to the chagrin of many, don't mind seeing a pitcher earn a couple extra inches if he is hitting his spots. But when a reliever waltzes in and gets calls like that....that's when the other side of my brain wants a laser defined strike zone with no margin for error. I truly do go back and forth on the issue.
    Yeah agree. Yet, there would be some pitchers (IE Maddux and Glavine) who wouldn't be HOF caliber pitchers without a liberal strikezone.
    “Our next home stand follows this road trip.”

“I just want to tell everyone Happy Easter and Happy Hanukkah.” says on the day before Easter

Mike Shannon

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

No more wire-to-wire dreams as the Reds fall to 3rd place, 1 game behind the Satanical Cardinals and a half game behind the resurgent Brewers. And the Cubs are breathing down our necks in 4th. Time to giddyup and go or else.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Yeah, the Reds better get their act together very soon or there won't be five more months of baseball games!

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Yeah, the Reds better get their act together very soon or there won't be five more months of baseball games!
    1 game back with 140 to play. It's uh oh time!

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Good grief, you know what I meant. I'd hate to be in a hole to start the season and so would you. I'm sure everything will work out, but who in name of all that's holy wants to get behind only to dig themselves out? That makes no sense. It's a long season, but the time is now for the offense to wake up and the pitching to get better when you're playing your closest rivals.

Or should we as fans stick our heads in the sand and pretend that this team will be able to win 70% of it's games when the going gets tough?
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

What others are saying about the Reds and Cards.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...ut-reds-cards/

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Well pitched ball game on both sides. I really thought the Reds bats would do something against Westbrook though. Nice to see a really solid outing from Edinson. I'm surprised that nobody came out to look at him though when he tweeked something. He was rolling up to that point. Nice to see Brandon swing the bat well too.

They said something last night that surprised me though, that was the first time we've been shut out all season. Last team to have that happen.

We're obviously slumping, but all things considered, we're still in good shape. We've got 2 live arms coming back, Edinson looks to have turned the proverbial corner, the bullpen has been rock solid. The worm WILL turn.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    I would actually like to see an analytical study on the strikezone and it expanding. Doesn't it seem that a lot of times the strikezone expands later in games, esp. when closers are in? I have no solid evidence to back this up but its more off of observation.
    It expands the most when it's raining, and most hitters should know that.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

The Cards held serve at their ballpark. Seeing them for a weekend, they won the series, but that is not a team that I think can get it done over the long haul of the season without some major additions or complete surprises stepping up and overperforming expectations.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Turn Off Ads?