4 7.14%
  • Mes

30 53.57%
  • Tandem

22 39.29%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yasmani Grandal

Yasmani Grandal

It's still very early but it's always good to see your young guys get off to a good start. In 48 AB's Grandal is .333 with 5 doubles, 5 HR's and 11 RBI's. Doesn't seem like he's having any trouble generating power switching to wood. Was a little worried after Grandal only had 1 extra base hit in rookie ball last year, even though it was an extremely small sample size(28 AB's). Any word on how he is behind the plate?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Yasmani Grandal

Grandal or Mes what? The catcher of the future or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    Grandal or Mes what? The catcher of the future or something else?
    Catcher of the future. I should have made that a little clearer.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Mesoraco, for two reasons. First, I think he is just better. Better overall bat, better arm behind the plate, better athleticism. Secondly, he is going to get a shot in the Majors first and if he performs, which I think most expect him to do, there isn't like going to be a spot open for someone else anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Mesoraco, for two reasons. First, I think he is just better. Better overall bat, better arm behind the plate, better athleticism. Secondly, he is going to get a shot in the Majors first and if he performs, which I think most expect him to do, there isn't like going to be a spot open for someone else anytime soon.
    what about at 1b?

Quote Originally Posted by Orenda View Post
    what about at 1b?
    There's that Joey Votto guy there correct?

Not sure what the Reds are planning to do with Votto when his contract is up, but it may not be financially practical to resign him. If this happens to be the case, I wouldn't mind seeing Grandal/Mes alternate between 1st and Catcher, with Mes getting the majority of time behind the plate.

Senor Votto

Keep them both you can never have too many catchers

Why not both? Keep the one that catches the best (Mez?) at catcher and move the other one to 1B or OF. If Grandal is as good a hitter as he has shown to be early in his MI career then you may want to move him to a less taxing position anyway.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Keep them both and play them at catcher. Pinch hit with the other one when needed. You'll have the most production in the league (by far), be able to spot-start for great numbers, and rest both catchers, meaning both are good to go the entire year.

If someone bowls you over with a package of good, young prospects, you consider it. If not, enjoy production no one else is likely to have.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Why not both? Keep the one that catches the best (Mez?) at catcher and move the other one to 1B or OF. If Grandal is as good a hitter as he has shown to be early in his MI career then you may want to move him to a less taxing position anyway.
    If the Reds have two catchers that can hit well enough to slot #4 / #5 in a lineup and can both field the position, they should deal one of the two fill a team need elsewhere. Catching is too valuable to hoard.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    IMHO keeping both is a bad idea because it isn't the most efficient way for the club to maximize it's resources. While Mes or Grandal both have the potential to be solidly above average offensive catchers, I'm not sure either has the bat that profiles as an above average OF or 1B. Given the dearth of good catching options available, Mes or Grandal should be able to fetch a prospect who profiles better at the position that the club is looking to fill.

Quote Originally Posted by nmculbreth View Post
    IMHO keeping both is a bad idea because it isn't the most efficient way for the club to maximize it's resources. While Mes or Grandal both have the potential to be solidly above average offensive catchers, I'm not sure either has the bat that profiles as an above average OF or 1B. Given the dearth of good catching options available, Mes or Grandal should be able to fetch a prospect who profiles better at the position that the club is looking to fill.
    Amen. If they both turn out to be plus players at catcher, trade one for a plus player at another spot instead of wasting him in a part time role or moving him to 1B where he'll struggle to be league average.

Hanigan is the tandem guy for three years and Mark Fleury after that.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Amen. If they both turn out to be plus players at catcher, trade one for a plus player at another spot instead of wasting him in a part time role or moving him to 1B where he'll struggle to be league average.

Hanigan is the tandem guy for three years and Mark Fleury after that.
    Yes. All of it (except the jury is still out on Fleury, but I'm not worrying about who the backup catcher is 4 years from now).
    Go BLUE!!!

I very slightly lean toward Mes, but Iwant to hold on to both - at least until we get a can't-refuse offer for one.

I'd have both work on a second position also. I know three catchers is almost an inside joke, but if I'd do it for three reasons if I'm going to keep both Mes and Yas.

1. Whichever of the two is not Catching that day is probablygoing to be one of, if not the best bench bats on the bench, but you normally only use your backup catcher as a last resort unless you have a third.

2. If both can play another position you can keep their bats (and legs) fresh on days they aren't catching. Also, since they can both play another position, it would not be like you're losing a position reserve.

3. With guys like Hanigan, Fleury, Barnhart, etc. also in the system, chances are we will have the talent to carry three catchers.

I'm willing to deal one or the other, but I want to hear the other GM squealing i pain when the deal is finalized.

Turn Off Ads?