Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stand alone mail program, or webmail?

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Stand alone mail program, or webmail?

I've always been one to use a stand alone mail program to retrieve my email. Over the years I've used Outlook, Eudora, Mac Mail, and Thunderbird. I know quite a few people who only use webmail for email and either don't even know about such programs, or don't want to bother with setting them up. Is it really that common for people to only use webmail, or do I just happen to know a large number of folks like that? For myself, I've just always preferred the features that these programs have and have never really liked using webmail. Am I in the minority here?
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Stand alone mail program, or webmail?

I use Gmail and also it syncs with my smartphone, EVO/Sprint in real time. You can do almost everything with GMAIL as outlook, except it is web base.
    Last edited by RBA; 04-25-2011 at 10:55 AM.

I only use webmail for personal use. Gmail for business, yahoo for personal and another yahoo account for baseball stuff.

I have to use Outlook for work, mostly it's great for the calendar part, aside from that there is nothing else it does that I can't get elsewhere.

Used to use Thunderbird for work at my last job, it's alright, but doesn't play well with other folks Outlook accounts.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Web based Gmail for me. I use Outlook at work because I'm required to.

I don't send much e-mail, though -- about the only thing left I use it for is big "group" mails trying to plan things out. Otherwise, I prefer calling or texting people.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Web based Gmail for me. I use Outlook at work because I'm required to.

I don't send much e-mail, though -- about the only thing left I use it for is big "group" mails trying to plan things out. Otherwise, I prefer calling or texting people.
    What is this thing you refer to as "calling"?

I use Outlook for work, yahoo for "fun" personal stuff and random stuff where I have to provide an email and gmail for more serious personal stuff.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    I've always been one to use a stand alone mail program to retrieve my email. Over the years I've used Outlook, Eudora, Mac Mail, and Thunderbird. I know quite a few people who only use webmail for email and either don't even know about such programs, or don't want to bother with setting them up. Is it really that common for people to only use webmail, or do I just happen to know a large number of folks like that? For myself, I've just always preferred the features that these programs have and have never really liked using webmail. Am I in the minority here?
    I've always used an email client. I like setting up rules so incoming mail is routed to an appropriate folder.
    Also, my email is then on MY computer, and not on the cloud somewhere.

I could not work without email. It's my favorite form of communication. I hate the phone. It's intrusive and no records remain (you didn't tell me that).
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Chicago View Post
    What is this thing you refer to as "calling"?
    I know..... next thing he'll be saying he's meeting people....

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    I've always used an email client. I like setting up rules so incoming mail is routed to an appropriate folder.
    Also, my email is then on MY computer, and not on the cloud somewhere.

I could not work without email. It's my favorite form of communication. I hate the phone. It's intrusive and no records remain (you didn't tell me that).
    That's how I've always worked. I was rather surprised when I found out the number of people who do all their email on the web.

In my case, I'm running a business and I have Mac Mail set up with all my business and personal addresses and folders that everything goes into. I also have it set to delete from the server immediately. I feel more secure that way.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

I used to use Outlook but switched to webmail. Webmail can now do almost everything that Outlook can do, plus it is much easier to access if you use more than one computer. If you use Outlook and your computer is lost/stolen/dies you could lose all your records, address book and emails.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I used to use outlook, but after a hard drive crash in 2004 I think, I switched to webmail.

G-Mail here
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

I use multiple Gmail accounts for personal email. I have a professional one and a couple "fun" ones. I like that someone gives me 7.5GB of email folder space for free and they manage it and have it up 99.99% of the time (more than my work email). The web-based client is simple but my needs aren't great.

Oh, and also for work (Outlook/Exchange), I'm limited to 40 MB for my mailbox so I probably spend an hour a week managing this space. I've offered to buy my own 1 TB disk but that fell upon deaf ears.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post

Oh, and also for work (Outlook/Exchange), I'm limited to 40 MB for my mailbox so I probably spend an hour a week managing this space. I've offered to buy my own 1 TB disk but that fell upon deaf ears.
    Email jail can ruin a work day

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Gmail x2 here, both as a custom domain in a Google Apps account and a plain old gmail.com account.

Until 3-4 years ago, I used to use Eudora and pay to host my domain at Yahoo. I'll never go back to or recommend that. Yahoo's spam filtering was lousy compared to Gmail.

Turn Off Ads?