Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carpenter STILL trying to explain it to his son (and daughter)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Carpenter STILL trying to explain it to his son (and daughter)

Re: Carpenter STILL trying to explain it to his son (and daughter)

Carpenter concludes: “It’s not what baseball is, not what baseball is about.”
    Hmm...perhaps if he hadn't started mouthing off to Dusty when everything looked to be calm then things wouldn't have escalated like the did. Idiot.

Yes, Carpenter still playing the family card, Phillips still running his mouth and loving every minute of it.

Problem?

Quote Originally Posted by cardszone View Post
    Yes, Carpenter still playing the family card, Phillips still running his mouth and loving every minute of it.

Problem?
    Phillips isn't playing holier-than-thou.

Eh, I don't see how Carp's attitude is any better or worse than Phillips'... It's two different sides of the same coin.

The Smiling Side AintlifeGrande's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by justincredible View Post
    Hmm...perhaps if he hadn't started mouthing off to Dusty when everything looked to be calm then things wouldn't have escalated like the did. Idiot.

He needs to tell his kids about ''pouring coals on an already burning fire''.Guys like him see no wrong on the baseball diamond.Real classy of him to start jawing at Dusty,

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!

They are only giving Carp crap because he won't let it go. So as long as he keeps whining about it then people will continue to talk about it and view him as a whiner. Just like they do alot of the Cardinals namely their manager. If it was a reporter that brought it up all Carp had to say "Thats in the past and we are focused on moving forward" and he would have been done with it, but he chose to keep whining.

As for Phillips, I think if BP could take back the comments he made last year he would, but he can't. Since then his tweets have been good natured ribbing. What do you want the guy to say? He's having fun with it and if the Cards can't take it in stride, then that's a them problem not a bp problem.
    Last edited by SidneySlicker; 04-25-2011 at 03:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SidneySlicker View Post
    As for Phillips, I think if BP could take back the comments he made last year he would, but he can't. Since then his tweets have been good natured ribbing. What do you want the guy to say? He's having fun with it and if the Cards can't take it in stride, then that's a them problem not a bp problem.
    What makes you think we can't take it in stride? I think the Cards fans are having fun with it, just like he is. He's fun to hate.

As far as Carp goes, I'm pretty sure if he pitched for the Reds, you'd all love him just as much as you hate him now. Maybe not, but I think he'd just a guy you love to have on the team and hate to have on another team.

I think the guy Cards fans really take issue with is Cueto. Yeah, Cueto was pinned up against the net (I'm sure he was just afraid, after all of the injuries he'd suffered during the brawl). Yeah, LaRue was probably only a few years from retirement anyway as a 36 year old catcher who was clearly beyond his prime. After all, he was behind the plate for ~6500 innings as a Red. That's tough on the knees.

Cueto still kicked him... in the head. As far as I know, he's never apologized or made a single sympathetic noise about the situation. I don't know if Cueto meant to hurt anybody... I think it was just a heat-of-the-moment thing. However, I think he should still be expected to make some kind of statement about it. I firmly believe that if Wainwright, Carpenter, or anybody else on the Cardinals had really injured someone, intentionally or not, we'd be expecting them to at least make a statement. ESPECIALLY if it was someone like Rolen, Edmonds, or any other former Cardinal.
    Last edited by cardszone; 04-25-2011 at 04:03 PM. Reason: spelling

I Love Birds

Quote Originally Posted by SidneySlicker View Post
    They are only giving Carp crap because he won't let it go. So as long as he keeps whining about it then people will continue to talk about it and view him as a whiner. Just like they do alot of the Cardinals namely their manager. If it was a reporter that brought it up all Carp had to say "Thats in the past and we are focused on moving forward" and he would have been done with it, but he chose to keep whining.

Reds fans seem to see Phillips is an angel and Carp as the devil. Course, in St. Louis, we see Carp as a classy guy and Phillips as one of the most arrogant players in all of baseball. All a matter of perspective.

Who do Reds fans hate more, Carpenter or Yadi?
    (Watching a couple kissing at Busch Stadium) “Well, he’s kissing her on the strikes and she’s kissing him on the balls.”---a classic "Shannonism" from Cardinals broadcaster Mike Shannon

Quote Originally Posted by Swampturkey View Post
    Reds fans seem to see Phillips is an angel and Carp as the devil. Course, in St. Louis, we see Carp as a classy guy and Phillips as one of the most arrogant players in all of baseball. All a matter of perspective.

Reds fans have been critical of Phillips from day one. Personally he is my favorite player and in my eyes can do no wrong, but many Reds fans don't feel this way.

Carp, by far.

I Love Birds

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    Carp, by far.
    Good to know. In St. Louis, so far it's been Phillips, but if Cueto ever pitches here (the feeling here is that he's too afraid to), he will get the Phillips treatment as well.
    (Watching a couple kissing at Busch Stadium) “Well, he’s kissing her on the strikes and she’s kissing him on the balls.”---a classic "Shannonism" from Cardinals broadcaster Mike Shannon

My issue, is that I have never seen Carp apologize for his part in the brawl. If Cueto should apologize for violently acting out when pushed against the screen, Carp should apologize for his part in fanning the flames. He has to take some responsibility for his part in everything, including LaRue's career ending injury. Like it or not, everyone who participated has to shoulder some blame.

The thing with BP, is that many Reds fans hate him too. Why, I will never understand. I don't live in Ohio, but from someone who lives in California, I see no issue with BPs overall flamboyant "NBA player" type attitude. I have to question if some aspect of it is just purely deep seeded, possibly sometime subconscious racism. I could be wrong. It also could just be because that is "not how the game is played" in the midwest.

Personally, I love BP, and love him as a Red, but he is a very polarizing figure.

Good to know. In St. Louis, so far it's been Phillips, but if Cueto ever pitches here (the feeling here is that he's too afraid to), he will get the Phillips treatment as well.
    Oh no, not the boo birds, ya'll are a bad bunch of dudes with the booing
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Unrelated to this BP/Carp/Cueto likability/blame discussion... the idea that Cueto has not pitched in STL out of choice, let alone fear is simply not borne out by reality. First, unlike the Cardinals, The Reds have never adjusted their rotation for a cards series. Second, and more importantly, there have been exactly two Reds/Cards series since the brawl. Cueto pitched the game before the first series, on his regular rotation slot, so would have had no ability to pitch the following three days. The second series was this past weekend.

Are Cards fans really arguing/believing that Cueto went on the DL for the first month of the season just to avoid the chance he might pitch in St Louis?

If i was a Cards fan, i probably would not have any fond thoughts for Cueto... but c'mon stick with reality in the criticism. Up to this point, Cueto could not have pitched against the Cards even if he wanted to.

Turn Off Ads?