Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Janish vs. Renteria

Janish vs. Renteria

Someone had to say it...may as well be me.

PJ in 68 PAs: .277/.294/.292

ER in 28 PAs: .360/.393/.400

Are we dealing with a SSS problem for Janish? Or is he headed towards a season more pre-2010 than 2010? Does Renteria deserve more time until Janish gets things a little more figured out? Where is the line for Paul when considering defense?

Anyone have any thoughts? I like watching Janish play defense, but a .171/.189/.171 line over the last 2 weeks is a bit much. Hopefully he turns it around soon.

Go Reds.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Janish vs. Renteria

Have to stick with Janish unless people really want to see Renteria and Cairo playing on the left side of the infield at the same time.

One thing I'd do is to play Renteria with Hanigan, thus enabling a move of Hanigan to the 8th spot. I'd give the majority of starts, though, to Ramon until he's utterly worn down, at which time I'd bring up Mes. I don't see how the team can win with Hanigan, Janish, Cairo, and Bruce in the lineup at the same time.

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

Who cares what he has done over the last two weeks? People slump. Lets give these guys another couple weeks before we start jumping to conclusions...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

When the rest of the lineup is slumping, it makes Janish look that much worse. No one is hitting well right now, aside from Phillips and Votto.

Personally, I'd play Renteria a little more often right now and sacrifice the defense for more pop. I'd also play Hernandez a little more as well.

The simple fact of it is that Jay Bruce has to start hitting well. Without Rolen out, Cincinnati has to have Bruce hitting. He hasn't. That's largely why the Reds are where they are, rather than at the top of the division.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

Nothing that happens makes Paul Janish look worse. His .586 OPS is doing a great job of that on its own.

He'll rebound a bit (as all of them will). I don't expect his OPS to ever be over 700, but I'll take 690 and Gold Glove defense out of my shortstop.

To hedge, however, I'm playing Renteria more often.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

I don't think he has a prayer of getting to .690. His average is respectable right now and his OPS is still that bad.

I'm hoping we can see a left side with Cairo, Renteria and Gomes.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Does this team have a Boog Powell, Frank and Brooks Robinson, and Davey Johnson to make up for a Mark Belanger-type player?

I think they do, but some of the other guys besides Votto need to hit. That will come with time. I love Janish's defense, and I have no problem with Renteria playing twice a week to get more offense in there.

I think it was Bobby Valentine last night (btw- he and Orel Hershiser are excellent, IMO) who said the position of SS has changed back to what it was, now that the "performance drug enhancing era" is over, and the modern day SS must play great defense first.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I don't think he has a prayer of getting to .690. His average is respectable right now and his OPS is still that bad.
    He'll walk more and won't go the entire season with one XBH. Patience, young padawan...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    He'll walk more and won't go the entire season with one XBH. Patience, young padawan...
    Why will he walk more?

He's being challenged now, he has NO pop at all, thus no one has to bother with worrying about him.

He'll get balls to hit, he might even get 12 EBH at his current pace.

But if I was pitching him, I let him beat me.

And currently he's failing at that task.

Hey, at least he's not Brad Hawpe.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Why will he walk more?

He's being challenged now, he has NO pop at all, thus no one has to bother with worrying about him.

He'll get balls to hit, he might even get 12 EBH at his current pace.

But if I was pitching him, I let him beat me.

And currently he's failing at that task.

Hey, at least he's not Brad Hawpe.
    What were pitchers doing for his first 600 PAs? Giving him a free pass?

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    What were pitchers doing for his first 600 PAs? Giving him a free pass?
    No, finding out that he was not a risk.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    No, finding out that he was not a risk.
    I'm surprised it took them that long to figure out, but I suppose you're right...

Turn Off Ads?