Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: General admission/lawn concert tickets

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    2,171

    General admission/lawn concert tickets

    Every concert I've been to previously, I've had a reserved seat. I'd really like to go to see The Avett Brothers play either in Columbus in May or Indianapolis in October. Problem is, unless I want to get bled dry by a dealer, there are only General Admission tickets available.

    I'm not too keen on being shoved together like sardines for a few hours with complete stangers. Plus, there is the time spent waiting to get in the day of the concert trying to get a decent spot.

    Do I have the right impression of GA tickets? Should I just go ahead and do it?
    2013 Record at games attended: 0-1

  2. #2
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    12,639

    Re: General admission/lawn concert tickets

    Your experience at a GA concert is directly related to several factors:

    1. The type of band you're seeing / what kind of crowd they attract.
    2. Your level of desire regarding being close to the stage.
    3. The number of people the venue holds
    4. How well you deal with large groups of people.

    I've been to a lot of GA shows -- from small bar-type venues to down on the grass at Wrigley Field -- and I've generally had a very good time. The waiting for a good spot can be annoying (I think I waited close to 7 hours, combining admission line & field time for Dave Matthews at Vanderbilt Stadium), and it gets even more annoying trying to hold a good spot during the course of a show or get back to a good spot if you find the need to use the bathroom or get a drink.

    I like GA overall, but it's not for everyone.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    272

    Re: General admission/lawn concert tickets

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    Every concert I've been to previously, I've had a reserved seat. I'd really like to go to see The Avett Brothers play either in Columbus in May or Indianapolis in October. Problem is, unless I want to get bled dry by a dealer, there are only General Admission tickets available.

    I'm not too keen on being shoved together like sardines for a few hours with complete stangers. Plus, there is the time spent waiting to get in the day of the concert trying to get a decent spot.

    Do I have the right impression of GA tickets? Should I just go ahead and do it?
    I saw the Avett Brothers in Columbus last year and going back this year. The LC is a very good place to see a concert and you're not packed in like sardines unless you want to stand by the stage. There is a lawn section that we had plenty of room and still had great views of the stage. We got there about 30 minutes before the show started and there was plenty of lawn space available and still quite a bit right before the Avett Brothers hit the stage.

    I haven't been to where they were playing in Indy. I was supposed to see the Arcade Fire tomorrow night there but thankfully they moved it indoors at the Pepsi Coliseum. Can't give you a review of that venue but I may so see the Black Keys there in June. If I do, I'll let you know.

    My overall opinion is that let the crazies get the area by the stage and sit a little back from the stage and enjoy.

  4. #4
    Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    2,171

    Re: General admission/lawn concert tickets

    Quote Originally Posted by timmario66 View Post
    I saw the Avett Brothers in Columbus last year and going back this year. The LC is a very good place to see a concert and you're not packed in like sardines unless you want to stand by the stage. There is a lawn section that we had plenty of room and still had great views of the stage. We got there about 30 minutes before the show started and there was plenty of lawn space available and still quite a bit right before the Avett Brothers hit the stage.

    I haven't been to where they were playing in Indy. I was supposed to see the Arcade Fire tomorrow night there but thankfully they moved it indoors at the Pepsi Coliseum. Can't give you a review of that venue but I may so see the Black Keys there in June. If I do, I'll let you know.

    My overall opinion is that let the crazies get the area by the stage and sit a little back from the stage and enjoy.
    Good info, thanks! I think I may give the lawn a shot at Columbus. I was worried that being so far back as to avoid the crush of the crowd that the sound wouldn't be very good.
    2013 Record at games attended: 0-1

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    272

    Re: General admission/lawn concert tickets

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    Good info, thanks! I think I may give the lawn a shot at Columbus. I was worried that being so far back as to avoid the crush of the crowd that the sound wouldn't be very good.
    You're not that far back. It's not that big of a venue so sound is not an issue. You'll be closer to the stage than most seats in the pavilion at Riverbend.

  6. #6
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    12,639

    Re: General admission/lawn concert tickets

    Quote Originally Posted by timmario66 View Post
    You're not that far back. It's not that big of a venue so sound is not an issue. You'll be closer to the stage than most seats in the pavilion at Riverbend.
    I like LC -- I see OAR there frequently. There isn't a bad seat in the place, especially if you get down on the cement "pit" area.

    Shame that they took the White Castle out of the venue bar. It was like one-stop shopping for getting blitzed: pregame beers, concert drinking, drunken post-show Whities.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Back in the Burg, Ohio.
    Posts
    1,331

    Re: General admission/lawn concert tickets

    Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I like LC -- I see OAR there frequently. There isn't a bad seat in the place, especially if you get down on the cement "pit" area.

    Shame that they took the White Castle out of the venue bar. It was like one-stop shopping for getting blitzed: pregame beers, concert drinking, drunken post-show Whities.
    I work for the LC actually, as security. Although White Castle's is gone, we have Boston's Pizza now. It's VERY GOOD.

    As far as outdoor shows, the LC is as good as it gets. (And I'm not JUST saying that because I work there). There really isn't a bad seat in the house. Capacity outside is ~5,000 people. So there isn't too much sardine-likeness in the venue, unless you want to be. (Right up against the stage is sardine like).

    And Eric, don't worry about losing sound quality on the lawn, from anywhere in the venue, the sound is exceptional.
    Let's make some noise!

  8. #8
    We Need Our Myths reds1869's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Overlooking GABP
    Posts
    4,466

    Re: General admission/lawn concert tickets

    I've never had any trouble with GA seating, but I don't concern myself with being up front either. As long as you are fine with taking whatever spot you can get, go for it. The audience at an A Brothers show won't be too aggressive.

  9. #9
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,664

    Re: General admission/lawn concert tickets

    The lawn at Deer Creek is tame.

    Now Alpine is a different story

  10. #10
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    12,639

    Re: General admission/lawn concert tickets

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    The lawn at Deer Creek is tame.

    Now Alpine is a different story
    Deer Creek is my favorite lawn / GA area of any place I've been -- big, great sight lines to the stage, and pathways to get up and down that the security staff keeps clear.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

  11. #11
    Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    6,417

    Re: General admission/lawn concert tickets

    I'm sure it'll get crazy at that Avett Brothers show...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

  12. #12
    Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    2,171

    Re: General admission/lawn concert tickets

    I went ahead abnd bought the tickets. I can't wait! I've never been to an AB show, but I really liked their last live album. Thanks for the advice all!
    2013 Record at games attended: 0-1

  13. #13
    My clutch is broken RichRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    3,871

    Re: General admission/lawn concert tickets

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    I went ahead abnd bought the tickets. I can't wait! I've never been to an AB show, but I really liked their last live album. Thanks for the advice all!
    You're in for a treat. I saw them at an outdoor show in Charlottesville, VA and they were phenomenal.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    272

    Re: General admission/lawn concert tickets

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    I went ahead abnd bought the tickets. I can't wait! I've never been to an AB show, but I really liked their last live album. Thanks for the advice all!
    How was it last night? I thought the mic sound was a little quiet in the beginning but they fixed it after a couple of songs or maybe it was because of the two drunken idiots yelling throughout the concert so they could have a conversation. Thanks for ruining it for me a little idiots.

    Definitely a bigger crowd that last year and a little more upbeat set list too.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    3,549

    Re: General admission/lawn concert tickets

    Had a blast at the Avett brothers last night. Always a great show.
    "You're drunk again. No, I'm just exhausted 'cause I've been up all night drinking."
    Peter Griffin


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25