Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Red Sox looking for Catcher

Re: Red Sox looking for Catcher

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Is Boston going to give up one of their top prospects for Ramon? I can't see that happening.
    They traded Freddy Sanchez for a 1/2 season rental of Jeff Suppan.

Teams like the Yankees and Red Sox are much more likely to deal top prospects for major league players than other teams, especially when they're desperate. Iglesias is a good prospect but he's not a can't-miss Top 25 guy.

All that said, I doubt they would do that deal.
    Last edited by Benihana; 04-28-2011 at 04:40 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    The question for me is whether Mesoraco would contribute MORE than Ramon would.
    I'm pretty confident that Mesoraco is less valuable than Ramon for this year.

Even if you think Mesoraco might be more valuable, why risk it in a contending year? Ramon is a known quanity. He's also very good when he plays. This year, Ramon is probably better offensively. From what I've read, Ramon is superior defensively.

Boston (or any other club) is not going to give up a blue chip prospect for Hernandez.. Why trade Hernandez for another Tim Hummel? Let's try to win the division instead.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I'm pretty confident that Mesoraco is less valuable than Ramon for this year.

Even if you think Mesoraco might be more valuable, why risk it in a contending year? Ramon is a known quanity. He's also very good when he plays. This year, Ramon is probably better offensively. From what I've read, Ramon is superior defensively.

Boston (or any other club) is not going to give up a blue chip prospect for Hernandez.. Why trade Hernandez for another Tim Hummel? Let's try to win the division instead.
    Except the law of averages is going to kick in on Ramon any day now.

Sure he's been great thus far. But he has yet to hit the first of his 2-3 annual DL stints, and his slumping stretches. He's not going to continue to put up an .850 OPS the rest of the year. Once he comes back to earth and has an OPS around .725, and the annual calls for Hannigan to get more starts get louder, we may wish we had listened closer to the Red Sox's offer.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

One time Boston needed a pitcher and they traded for Larry Anderson. How did that work out for the Astros?
    2013 Record at games attended: 0-1

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    Except the law of averages is going to kick in on Ramon any day now.

Sure he's been great thus far. But he has yet to hit the first of his 2-3 annual DL stints, and his slumping stretches. He's not going to continue to put up an .850 OPS the rest of the year. Once he comes back to earth and has an OPS around .725, and the annual calls for Hannigan to get more starts get louder, we may wish we had listened closer to the Red Sox's offer.
    The law of averages says that Ramon is going to be better than Mersasco this year. That's what matters to me. I don't expect Ramon to OPS 850 all year.. Neither does Boston. This discussion is assuming Boston thinks Ramon is an impact player.. If we don't think Ramon is, why should we assume Boston does? Boston isn't going to be fooled by his hot start either.

Let's enjoy a winning season, and not be so worried about flipping vets for prospects that will probably never even make the show.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

If we're going to trade a catcher to Boston, maybe Hanigan ought to be dangled instead of Hernandez, Mesoraco or Grandal. Here are five reasons why I wouldn't rule out that possibility if we got the right return.

1. It's obvious Boston isn't looking for a prospect but rather someone they can add to their ML team right away.

2. They're looking at guys who are older than Hanigan and cost more. With his age-advantage and contract-advantage, Hanigan could well be more appealing to the Sox than Molina, Rodriguez or Snyder.

3. Just as a trade of Hanigan might work better for Boston than a deal involving Hernandez, the same could apply to the Reds. Hanigan could bring us back a player we want or might need sooner rather than later. A deal involving Hernandez, by contrast, would probably only net salary relief or long-term prospects. As long as we stay loaded and in contention, salary relief and long-term prospects probably won't matter to us as much as maintaining our bigger Mo, and making sure we can plug any gaps we see with the existing ML team.

4. I submit we probably can stay on course and maintain the Mojo if Hernandez remains the Reds' 1AB veteran mentor catcher and Mesoraco steps forward and becomes the Reds' 2BA understudy young stud catcher instead of Hanigan. And, philosophically, who do you want schooling Mesoraco? A direct competitor like Hanigan or a seasoned pro like Hernandez who is quite capable of covering for any of Mesoraco's learning lapses, but isn't likely to overshadow him at this point in time? Who's the vet who will impart more of the trade secrets and is best suited to teaching Mesoraco the ropes -- Hernandez or Hanigan?

5. Finally, this is Boston we're discussing. If I'm the Sox, I wanna guy named Hanigan. He might not be a Kennedy, but if he delivered some heroics come June or July, you don't think he could quickly become a fan favorite in Bean Town?

Again, all of this debate is academic if Boston isn't willing to listen to us and fill our needs. In that case, I wouldn't dangle Hanigan, let alone Hernandez, Mesoraco or Grandal. Having a surplus of bona fide ML-quality catchers puts us in the cat-bird's seat, and that's a great place to occupy, and one we shouldn't abandon unless we get a legitimate return.
    Last edited by Guacarock; 04-29-2011 at 03:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    The law of averages says that Ramon is going to be better than Mersasco this year. That's what matters to me. I don't expect Ramon to OPS 850 all year.. Neither does Boston. This discussion is assuming Boston thinks Ramon is an impact player.. If we don't think Ramon is, why should we assume Boston does? Boston isn't going to be fooled by his hot start either.

Let's enjoy a winning season, and not be so worried about flipping vets for prospects that will probably never even make the show.

I can understand where you're coming from but small market clubs more often than not have to trade older or more expensive vets for younger and cheaper prospects in order to survive and remain competitive.

It all comes down to timing and talent evaluation of prospects.

JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I can understand where you're coming from but small market clubs more often than not have to trade older or more expensive vets for younger and cheaper prospects in order to survive and remain competitive.

It all comes down to timing and talent evaluation of prospects.

JMHO
    That's true. But all we can do is speculate on what Boston would offer us.
    If they offered us a Hanley Rameriz type prospect that was 2 years away.. of course.. everyone would jump at that. I still think Hernandez's value in prospects is closer to Tim Hummel though.

I agree with Guacarock.. If you have faith in Merasco, shop Hannigan instead. He has a sound argument. But I doubt anyone is going to offer a king's ransom for Hannigan either (although they'd likely offer more than they would for Ramon).

I just don't get the urgency to trade our catching strength, for what is likely a marginal prospect. Why not just play the season out, and have the luxury of not having to rush Mersasco and not having to rely on Corky. Ramon's salary is cheap, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Guacarock View Post
    If we're going to trade a catcher to Boston, maybe Hanigan ought to be dangled instead of Hernandez, Mesoraco or Grandal. Here are five reasons why I wouldn't rule out that possibility if we got the right return.

1. It's obvious Boston isn't looking for a prospect but rather someone they can add to their ML team right away.

2. They're looking at guys who are older than Hanigan and cost more. With his age-advantage and contract-advantage, Hanigan could well be more appealing to the Sox than Molina, Rodriguez or Snyder.

3. Just as a trade of Hanigan might work better for Boston than a deal involving Hernandez, the same could apply to the Reds. Hanigan could bring us back a player we want or might need sooner rather than later. A deal involving Hernandez, by contrast, would probably only net salary relief or long-term prospects. As long as we stay loaded and in contention, salary relief and long-term prospects probably won't matter to us as much as maintaining our bigger Mo, and making sure we can plug any gaps we see with the existing ML team.

4. I submit we probably can stay on course and maintain the Mojo if Hernandez remains the Reds' 1AB veteran mentor catcher and Mesoraco steps forward and becomes the Reds' 2BA understudy young stud catcher instead of Hanigan. And, philosophically, who do you want schooling Mesoraco? A direct competitor like Hanigan or a seasoned pro like Hernandez who is quite capable of covering for any of Mesoraco's learning lapses, but isn't likely to overshadow him at this point in time? Who's the vet who will impart more of the trade secrets and is best suited to teaching Mesoraco the ropes -- Hernandez or Hanigan?

5. Finally, this is Boston we're discussing. If I'm the Sox, I wanna guy named Hanigan. He might not be a Kennedy, but if he delivered some heroics come June or July, you don't think he could quickly become a fan favorite in Bean Town?

Again, all of this debate is academic if Boston isn't willing to listen to us and fill our needs. In that case, I wouldn't dangle Hanigan, let alone Hernandez, Mesoraco or Grandal. Having a surplus of bona fide ML-quality catchers puts us in the cat-bird's seat, and that's a great place to occupy, and one we shouldn't abandon unless we get a legitimate return.
    This.

I'd take Jed Lowrie for Hanigan and Janish. I also think Boston might do that.

Turn Off Ads?