Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Red Sox looking for Catcher

Re: Red Sox looking for Catcher

Quote Originally Posted by OldXOhio View Post
    Buster Posey?
    Great bat on a team that needed a bat, most articles around him talk of their surprise at his behind the dish skills.

He's an outlier.

Perhaps DM is too, but I see the Reds being patient.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I could care less if he walks after this year. I'm completely unconcerned with what he could get.

I also don't recommend going with Hanigan and a rookie catcher this season.
    I agree totally. We're trying to win it this year. Ramon will contribute. Why weaken a contending team for a prospect that might help years from now?

I'm glad that for at least a short period of time, we aren't trying to trade off every potential FA for a prospect.

Realistically, Ramon isn't going to bring back an upgrade to SS or LF right now. So there's no point in trading him.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I agree totally. We're trying to win it this year. Ramon will contribute. Why weaken a contending team for a prospect that might help years from now?

I'm glad that for at least a short period of time, we aren't trying to trade off every potential FA for a prospect.

Realistically, Ramon isn't going to bring back an upgrade to SS or LF right now. So there's no point in trading him.
    The question for me is whether Mesoraco would contribute MORE than Ramon would.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    So, Janish gets pass from you for his weak stick because he is at a major defensive position. Yet, when confronted with the same dynamic (and one with an increased affect on the games pulse and outcome) it's all of the sudden about the bat?

History tells us the answer is no.

I would listen to ANY offer. Red Sox aren't going to want to fall too much further behind in the standings, and may pay list price for Mesoraco/Hannigan/Ramon if they think a catcher will keep them close to the Yankees.

Just because you listen, it doesn't mean you HAVE to make a deal. I only deal if it's a deal I can't pass up.
    Opinions are like belly buttons. Everybody has one, and they don't want someone else's shoved into their face.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    So, Janish gets pass from you for his weak stick because he is at a major defensive position. Yet, when confronted with the same dynamic (and one with an increased affect on the games pulse and outcome) it's all of the sudden about the bat?
    No. Simply put, I don't think Hernandez is a very good DEFENSIVE catcher. He's middle of the road for me. And from what I've seen (and read), Devin is easily his equal defensively. Now in regards to handling the pitchers...on this front I'm not so sure. But regardless, I'd want Hanigan to be doing the majority of the catching anyway. Whether Ramon is here or not. I feel Ryan is a top notch defensive catcher. And at this point, I don't see what else Devin has to prove in the minors. I think most people here would agree with me that he'll get a shot up here with the big club sometime this season regardless.

This has nothing to do with Ramon's skills IMO though. It has to do with Devin knocking on the door, Ryan with the better defensive skills between the two RH's, and Ryan just getting that nice extension. And mostly about striking when the iron's hot. They're wanting catching NOW, and we've got extra NOW. Who knows WHAT Ramon's going to do going forward.

“I know what they were trying to do. They looked around. They didn’t have money to spend,” Gammons said. “They couldn’t go get Bengie Molina. They weren’t going to spend the money at this point.

I know they’ve reached out to backup guys with the Mets that haven’t been able to do anything. Backup catchers who can catch four days a week are really hard to find. They’re finding that right now.
    http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/bos...ous-situation/

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    I would listen to ANY offer. Red Sox aren't going to want to fall too much further behind in the standings, and may pay list price for Mesoraco/Hannigan/Ramon if they think a catcher will keep them close to the Yankees.

Just because you listen, it doesn't mean you HAVE to make a deal. I only deal if it's a deal I can't pass up.
    I can't see Boston making a huge push for Mes at this point..they need production now and younger guys are just too unreliable in the short term.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    I can't see Boston making a huge push for Mes at this point..they need production now and younger guys are just too unreliable in the short term.
    Exactly. Which is why I was suggesting Hernandez. We get something for Ramon while we're in the stronger bargaining position, we open up a spot for a rising star, and we give the Reds the better defender behind the dish more often.

If for some reason Devin fails (or someone gets injured), we've still got Corky down at Louisville and a few other C's that can play.

Exactly. Which is why I was suggesting Hernandez. We get something for Ramon while we're in the stronger bargaining position, we open up a spot for a rising star, and we give the Reds the better defender behind the dish more often.

If for some reason Devin fails (or someone gets injured), we've still got Corky down at Louisville and a few other C's that can play.
    I don't think it's the worst idea in the world. I would certainly do Hernandez for Iglesias, although it would be a loss not having a Spanish-speaking catcher.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I don't think it's the worst idea in the world. I would certainly do Hernandez for Iglesias, although it would be a loss not having a Spanish-speaking catcher.
    I thought about the Spanish speaking part too. Don't know about Price, but Dusty speaks spanish too. I certainly wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on a deal because of Ramon's Spanish skills though.

I thought about the Spanish speaking part too. Don't know about Price, but Dusty speaks spanish too. I certainly wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on a deal because of Ramon's Spanish skills though.
    It's more than just an in-game communication thing. It's a mentorship/culture/intangible thing, not only for guys like Cueto and EV but especially for Chapman, who's gotta feel pretty isolated living (and pitching) in SW Ohio.
    Go BLUE!!!

Is Boston going to give up one of their top prospects for Ramon? I can't see that happening.

It's more than just an in-game communication thing. It's a mentorship/culture/intangible thing, not only for guys like Cueto and EV but especially for Chapman, who's gotta feel pretty isolated living (and pitching) in SW Ohio.
    Bingo

Plus What if Hanigan goes down?

He's not a big guy and has only had 400 PA's once in a season.

I shudder to think of what happens if that occurs, a rookie and Corky as teh catcher because we want to get a AA player for Hernandez? Sorry too many intangibles and interconnected issues to play in such a move.

Turn Off Ads?