Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minor Keys

Minor Keys

Is it too early to get excited about Stephen Hunt? Talk about coming out of nowhere! That kid is as hot as any in quite some time. A very nice start to the season. He's only 22, too, so playing in A+ the entire season wouldn't be horrible for his development. That said, he and Grandal might just make the Carolina lineup solid.

Add those two to Cody Puckett (who's playing 2B well enough-- for now-- to allow his 1.182 OPS in the middle of the diamond) and Mike Costanzo (1.011 OPS while playing third base) and you could have four guys with serious potential to hit.

Too bad they'll still have to pitch.

Is it too early to be concerned about Alonso? 60 ABs, I know, but his line (.246/.279/.344/.624) won't get it done in LF or at 1B. The kid has to get it done this year. I'm on record as saying he's a Sean Casey clone. Could that be optimistic?

Is it too early to think this season will be more of the same as last season for Todd Frazier? 70-ish ABs and he's showing power, but his BA is rough. If he can play six spots, he's still got value, but when was the last time he played something other than LF? For goodness' sake, they brought up Eymann to man the hot corner rather than try him there.
    Last edited by Scrap Irony; 04-27-2011 at 05:27 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Minor Keys

Bradley Boxberger has allowed 1.9 hits per 9 inning. He's also walked six in 9.2 IP. He's struck out almost 16/9 IP as well.

On the other hand, Donnie Joseph has 13 hits and nine ER in 8 IP. He's striking out 13.5/9 IP.

Anyone have that in the office pool?

I'll give it another two-three weeks before I get too worked up about Stephen Hunt. But he has been amazing . . . I'm pleased that Boxberger is making me look stupid. I've never cared for the cut of his jib, but he's now getting it done, big-time . . . Don't see Alonso as Casey, because Casey was geared for base hits. Alonso's long swing is what concerns me. We've excused his long stretches of relative unproductivity by citing his hamate injury, etc.; but at some point he has to just do it . . . On the other hand, I felt the same sort of way about Boxberger. And Josh Ravin, who's been looking fabulous . . . The points about Frazier seem legitimate . . . Don't forget Neftali Soto at Carolina, when he comes off the DL . . . Two words of the day: Blaine Howell.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    For goodness' sake, they brought up Eymann to man the hot corner rather than try him there.
    I doubt that is why Eymann was brought up. Frazier is a much better 3B defensively.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Yonder Alonso has still faced more lefties than righties this season. Give him time and he is going to be fine, but when a left is facing lefties 3-5 times every other day right out of the gate, it is probably going to result in them struggling to find a good rhythm.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Yonder Alonso has still faced more lefties than righties this season.
    A point to be made about Sappelt, as well.

Regarding Yonder, I find this interesting, but of course, based on very few ABs:

Bases Empty .324
    Runners On .148
    Scoring Position .059

And while Yonder has 1 more AB against LHP than RHP

vs Left .226
    vs Right .267

Compared to Dorn:

Bases Empty .250
    Runners On .423
    Scoring Position .500

vs Left .160 (25 AB)
    vs Right .455 (33 AB)

If you are looking for a guy to platoon in LF...

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    Regarding Yonder, I find this interesting, but of course, based on very few ABs:

Bases Empty .324
    Runners On .148
    Scoring Position .059

And while Yonder has 1 more AB against LHP than RHP

vs Left .226
    vs Right .267

Compared to Dorn:

Bases Empty .250
    Runners On .423
    Scoring Position .500

vs Left .160 (25 AB)
    vs Right .455 (33 AB)

If you are looking for a guy to platoon in LF...

But, but, but....I thought Dorn was just organizational fodder?

One of these days somebody's going to wise up and give this kid a chance in the bigs. What's the percentage of left-handed pitchers to right-handed pitchers in the bigs? I'm guessing it's at least 2 to 1. He flat out MASHES righties....and he pretty much always has. I was really hoping to see him brought up instead of Hermida. Oh well.

I couldn't agree with you more but I'm afraid we are never going to see Dorn in a Reds uniform.

More to consider:

Gomes v LHP - .385/.529/.923 - 1.452
    Dorn v RHP - .455/.457/.818 - 1.275

I couldn't agree with you more but I'm afraid we are never going to see Dorn in a Reds uniform.

More to consider:

I have only seen Dorn once in a game. How bad is his defense? I mean if Willie Mays is "10", and Walt Jocketty getting the job done himself is a "1", where is Dorn? Where is Gomes?

Dorn is similar but I think a little better than Gomes.
    Dorn doesn't make many errors but he lacks speed.

Dorn is similar but I think a little better than Gomes.
    Dorn doesn't make many errors but he lacks speed.
    Really? I was lead to believe he was a drunken Adam Dunn out there.

Add me to the list "give him a shot."

Quote Originally Posted by LeDoux View Post
    Really? I was lead to believe he was a drunken Adam Dunn out there.
    It seems a lot of people have that view of him that haven't seen him. I couldn't tell you why.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

It certainly is not too early to be concerned about Alonso. He did just hit a HR tonight though. Hopefully he gets his act together.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

More to consider:

I know. This is exactly what I think whenever I think of Dorn. PERFECT, absolutely PERFECT platoon partner with Gomes. Those numbers are just beastly. Even with a regression to the bigs for Dorn.

Turn Off Ads?