Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barry Larkin for J.D. Drew and Rick Ankiel...

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Barry Larkin for J.D. Drew and Rick Ankiel...

Second, in the trailer the Baseball Tonight crew had set up to watch afternoon baseball, former Reds shortstop Barry Larkin sat in a back corner and told me how he expected to be a Cardinals someday, someway (4). In 1998, Larkin reportedly asked for a trade and the Cardinals were in, out and in the mix for his services. At one point, GM Walt Jocketty spoke with the Reds about Larkin, but they wanted J. D. Drew and Rick Ankiel in return for the All-Star shortstop, per a report at the time from P-D Hall of Famer Rick Hummel. Larkin reminisced Sunday about how he thought for a time he'd inherit Ozzie Smith's position, and he wanted that opportunity.

"I always loved coming here," Larkin said. "They loved their players here. I remember sitting in the dugout once at the old place (Busch II) and looking out at the field, at Ozzie Smith there at shortstop, and thinking this would be the place I'd play some day, and with Ozzie leaving that seemed to be the chance. I didn't know if it would work, being the NL Central and being rivals made it tough. They asked me to speak at Ozzie Smith Day and then (the next day) I hit two home runs. I'm running around the bases and when I pass second base, Ozzie's like, ‘You've got to cut that out.' There's this romance between the players and the fans. That's how it seems from the outside. I thought as something I wanted to do at some point in my career."

Larkin spent his 19 seasons with Cincinnati.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseb...a4bcf6878.html
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 04-27-2011 at 10:22 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Barry Larkin for J.D. Drew and Rick Ankiel...

Well, that's not exactly what I had hoped to read.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Well, that's not exactly what I had hoped to read.
    The day my baseball cherry was busted.
    Rose likes being photographed. A vain man without a trace of self-consciousness, secure in his image, Rose is the Muhammad Ali of baseball.

On his head is a Phillie cap. "What do you think of the Phils, Pete?"

"They need me." Rose points to his chest and grins. Click.

Someone hands him another cap. Rose removes the small, plastic insert from the front of the Phillie cap and puts it in the new one, so that it will sit on his head just so. "O.K., Pete. The California Angels. What do you think of?"

" Gene Autry." Rose grins, baring the gap in his front teeth. "Maybe he'll give me his horse if I sign. What was the name of that horse? Champion? Champion!" Click.

Next cap. It bears the interlocking "S" and "D" of the Padres, owned by McDonald's magnate Ray Kroc. " San Diego had two Pete Rose Days this year," Rose divulges. "Two. Ray Kroc likes me because I'm a self-made, aggressive guy like he is, and he likes me because I help his younger players. I go to the park early and work with them. He appreciates that." Rose grins and bites into an imaginary Big Mac. Click.

He slips on the next cap, and a bystander says, "The Dodgers, Pete. National League champs. Los Angeles ."

"Ahh, endorsements!" says Pete. Click.

"O.K., Pete, how about a frown?"

"You want a frown? I'll give you a frown. Give me that Reds cap."
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...#ixzz1KmWZCTaz

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    The day my baseball cherry was busted.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...#ixzz1KmWZCTaz
    Geez... almost seems like this Pete Rose guy is a self-serving pig. Say it ain't so!
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

The Reds had Larkin traded to the Mets too, after he told them to pay him, or trade him. They traded him, and he vetoed it.

I feel like I just read one of those alternative history books.

Pay attention to the open sky

Haunted by walks

It's amazing that the Reds have had a string of one-team career players going back to the '60s (although a few years were covered by short-timers).

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

The grass is always greener....

He surely would have benefited from Big Mac's medicine closet.
    Win the Division

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

It would be naive to think that every player who plays in his hometown believes in the concept of a "hometown discount."

Do you guys think that Rick Ankiel would still be a pitcher if this trade had been made?

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MattyHo4Life View Post
    Do you guys think that Rick Ankiel would still be a pitcher if this trade had been made?
    Don Gullett would have fixed him. This would have been the crowning achievement of Gullett's career, leading him to eventually be promoted to manager, ahead of Dave Miley, when Jerry Narron was canned. Ankiel would anchor the Reds' staff (and payroll) leading Gully's tenure as skipper to continue through the present day. There would be buzz in the media and support among the fans for Gully to eventually succeed Jocketty when he retires in a few years.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I feel like I just read one of those alternative history books.
    Amazing they even had baseball in 1998 after President Dole's assassination and the subsequent war with India.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Haunted by walks

OK, which one of you knuckleheads went back in time and stepped on a butterfly?

Larkin should be grateful it never happened. Not that his stats don't make him worthy, but part of the reason he will probably go into the hall of fame next will be because he spent his entire career with one organization.

Turn Off Ads?