Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Anyone here ever attended the Preakness?

Anyone here ever attended the Preakness?

My wife got me ticketsto the Preakness this year. I am a huge horse racing fan and want to attend all of the Triple Crown races at least once. We are flying into BWI on Friday evening, and it looks like we can use light rail to our hotel downtown, and the brochure with the ticket package makes getting to Pimlico using subway and shuttle buses seem fairly easy. I have heard Pimlico is pretty rundown as is the neighborhood around it, but am still excited about it. We are too old for the infield so we have reserved grandstand seats. Is there any thing else I should know or could be forgetting? Any non infield experiences people could share? By the way the mascot for the Preakness is Kegasus, a half horse/ half beer swilling shirtless dude! LOL! Thanks for any and all advice!
    "Why are those Dodger pitchers in the Reds bullpen?"-GAC August 28, 2009

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Anyone here ever attended the Preakness?

I was there a long, long time ago-1976, a horse named Elocutionist cost Bold Forbes the Triple Crown and I did not have the winner. But I had a great time because its a great race. I've never been to the Derby (one of these days) but I've been to the Belmont many times- Saw The Slew and Affirmed/Alydar (the greatest sporting event I have ever seen).

The Preakness is a lot cozier than The Belmont because the track's so much smaller, but the folks at Pimlico know how to run things. Don't worry about the neighborhood- you'll be in the middle of 75-100,000 people who only care about one thing- picking a winner. Get there early.

The one thing you might have a problem with is getting a bet down because the lines will be long. Same with refreshments. It would help if you have a telephone account.

Pimlico has always favored inside speed.
    Baltimore is a great little town. Order the Crab cakes.
    If you like horses, Saratoga is a must. Monmouth isn't bad either.
    And a bad day at the track is still better than a good day anywhere else.

Thanks for the reply and tips about the lines at the windows. I will probably just bet all the races early at one time. I am doing the Belmont next year, and I would definitely like to pick your brain for tips about it closer to the race next year.

Thanks again!

I've been twice to the Preakness, but infield both times, so my experiences probably won't relate to yours. The infield used to be just a dirty, filthy, disgusting experience until they changed it to no more BYOB. The port-a-potty races (just youtube it) are truly an amazing site to see, and horribly dangerous.

I agree about the lines for placing bets. I'd place them as early as possible to avoid the lines. Pimlico is not a real nice area, but there is plenty of security and such around.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Pimlico is not a real nice area
    You're being very kind. It's in the ghetto.

I went to Preakness once, put $100 on Artax (earlier race) and he lost. Found out the next day a drunk ran out on the track and tried to punch the horse. The track refunded everyone's money. Not mine though, as I threw the ticket out after I heard he lost.

http://horseracing.about.com/library...y/aa051599.htm

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    I went to Preakness once, put $100 on Artax (earlier race) and he lost. Found out the next day a drunk ran out on the track and tried to punch the horse. The track refunded everyone's money. Not mine though, as I threw the ticket out after I heard he lost.

http://horseracing.about.com/library...y/aa051599.htm
    I had totally forgotten about the Artax incident. Its the only time I have ever heard of a fan running onto the track except for Emily Davison back in 1913.

http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk..._june_1913.htm

That guy is lucky he's alive. And remember, hold your tickets until the race is official.
    Last edited by Mutaman; 05-09-2011 at 12:56 AM.

EDIT: Warning, there is one dirty word.

YouTube - Preakness Toilet Run 2008

HOW HAVE I NOT SEEN THIS BEFORE?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Geez. I think I will be safe from that mess in the grandstand!

This could be an interesting race. I'm not sure how good Animal Kingdom is but unlike some of the other recent Triple Crown pretenders (Smarty Jones, Real Quiet, Charismatic) he is bred to run all day. So if he wins Saturday, he might have a shot at a mile and one half.

[QUOTE=Mutaman;2366413]Pimlico has always favored inside speed.
    QUOTE]

Great advice. I had that exacta!

Got back from Baltimore this evening. We had an awesome time and I thought Pimlico was a cool track. My wife was on fire betting her favorite numbers 2 and 5 all day. We were always able to get bets in on time and beers were cheaper than at the Reds game. This was our 3rd visit to Baltimore, and it is a great town for a weekend trip. Next year I hope to go to the Belmont.

Turn Off Ads?