Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heisey just needs to ...

Heisey just needs to ...

Call in sick, demand a trade or something because Dusty Baker is ruining this kids career. It is really sad how someone can be abused like this and someone doesn't step in. Either the cincy press needs to get nasty with Dusty and start calling him out or they need to go after Walt and demand to know HITH he can continue to allow Dusty to ruin a good young kid. This is nothing short of sad and reason enough to remove Dusty.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Heisey just needs to ...

i think he should be playing, but its 25 games into the season. If he doesn't play all year i will agree with you.
    Just a dude who loves the reds, and some new sneakers.

I would say Heisey just needs to force the managers hand like any other young player. I dont think a .253 career lifetime average does that. Yeah hes looked good in spots but nothing earth shattering that equals out to a crime against humanity that he isnt starting regularly. Lets not forget he got a small opportunity last year and he didnt exactly flourish. From August 29th to September 12th He got to start 12 out of 14 games. He actually performed under is career average at .235 and OPS of .603. Hes a great guy off bench. Why cant we be happy we have one of those?

Quote Originally Posted by RadfordVA View Post
    I would say Heisey just needs to force the managers hand like any other young player. I dont think a .253 career lifetime average does that. Yeah hes looked good in spots but nothing earth shattering that equals out to a crime against humanity that he isnt starting regularly. Lets not forget he got a small opportunity last year and he didnt exactly flourish. From August 29th to September 12th He got to start 12 out of 14 games. He actually performed under is career average at .235 and OPS of .603. Hes a great guy off bench. Why cant we be happy we have one of those?
    Because the objective is to WIN THE GAME. And to accomplish that you PLAY THE BEST PLAYERS you have and we are not. We are not when Gomes is playing and we especially are not with the bum they have in LF hitting 5th tonight. We continue to have this pattern from Dusty that if he doesn't think or like you then you are screwed. Again If I am Heisey I go into Walt's office and say either Trade me or demote me because sitting on the bench even in Cincy is NOT advancing my career.

It is ridiculous to bring up a 5th OFer and play him more than your 4th OFer when he has had no production. Dusty said he wanted to play Heisey because he was hot and I only recall one maybe two since then.

Hermida on the other hand is the 5th OFer and gets the call again. The last game Dusty said that he played Hermida because of the match-up and "you got to know your players" Hermida went 0-4.

Since Hermida call-up on April 18:
    -Hermida has had 12 AB with 0 hits and 0 BB and 6 K.
    -Heisey has had 1 start and 11 AB: (only 2 hits, but 1 was a HR)- his OPS is still .802 (It's tough to hit when you are not in the line-up)

When Dusty starts having middle of the night "epiphonies" (I know I spelled that wrong) you know the Reds are in trouble.

So much for rewarding success. I'm sure Heisey is a tough enough kid to deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    Because the objective is to WIN THE GAME.
    You still didnt tell me exactly how Heisey helps them win? Just a gut feeling you have about him? Those numbers are even below what Gomes produces. Did those 2 diving catches in San Diego leave that big of an impression on everyone? If Heisey has anyone to blame for lack of playing time its himself for not seizing the opportunity. Even as a backup he hasnt set the world on fire. The other 2 back ups from opening day are even producing more at the plate then him. Cairo and Renteria.

Splits as a starter .223 .297 .360 .657
    As a substitute .345 .409 .672 1.082

How can anyone argue that someone other than Heisey is to blame for him on his way to receiving treatment as an off the bench guy.

You still didnt tell me exactly how Heisey helps them win? Just a gut feeling you have about him? Those numbers are even below what Gomes produces. Did those 2 diving catches in San Diego leave that big of an impression on everyone? If Heisey has anyone to blame for lack of playing time its himself for not seizing the opportunity. Even as a backup he hasnt set the world on fire. The other 2 back ups from opening day are even producing more at the plate then him. Cairo and Renteria.
    Hmmm because he is a better player? Look at the numbers...also if Mr. Hermida was so darn good why did he go to louisville and Heisey go to Cincy? What opportunity has Heisey had? I mean really.

Cairo - 46 AB: 4 R, 7 RBI, 1 HR, .283 avg., .320 OBP, OPS .688
    Renteria - 32 AB, 2 R, 4 RBI, 0 HR, .313 avg., .343 OBP, OPS .687
    Heisey - 32 AB: 5 R, 10 RBI, 2 HR, .250 avg, .333.OBP, OPS .802

I don't know want standard you are using but Heisey tops all of them (with 14 less AB than Cairo) except for a few points in avg. and OBP. In the limited number of AB the only difference between Heisey and Renteria is 2 hits. Heisey blows them all away in defense. So I assume you must just be looking at avg. What are you referring to - otherwise I would guess that you are using a gut feeling as you accused the other poster of.

It's a good problem to have. Good organizations have depth throughout the organization, and you know that someone will get hurt. In steps Heisey.

I remember far worse backup outfielders in prior years.

Splits as a starter .223 .297 .360 .657
    As a substitute .345 .409 .672 1.082

How can anyone argue that someone other than Heisey is to blame for him on his way to receiving treatment as an off the bench guy.
    You are using a very small portion - Heisey did have the best Spring Training numbers of anyone but, Sappelt. There is no reason to assume that he is better off of the bench because he has not had a chance to prove himself everyday - as far as I see it.

Heisey has his role on the team, and is doing fine. Hermidia is probably been getting a couple extra starts, because at this point, he is headed back to AAA. If a player is doing well the way a manager uses him, maybe the manager should be praised.

Quote Originally Posted by defender View Post
    Heisey has his role on the team, and is doing fine. Hermidia is probably been getting a couple extra starts, because at this point, he is headed back to AAA. If a player is doing well the way a manager uses him, maybe the manager should be praised.
    Huh? What? What role? Outside of bat boy, what role has Heisey had? Why would you give someone you are going to send back to AAA any starts? When our manager does something to be praised for I will be the first...but I am willing to bet pigs will fly first before that happens...

Quote Originally Posted by defender View Post
    1. If a player does well in a certain role - a manager should reward that success by allowing a larger role.

2. A manager should never get praised for rewarding poor results.

3. If someone is leaving they should get more starts???

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Calling for Dusty's head is just silly in my opinion. The guy has proven time and time again that he's a winner. That being said... I would like to hear some additional insight into why Heisey is not getting more starts. There MAY be a perfectly legit reason that we're not privy to, but I can't imagine what that might be. This offense has too many easy outs in the order right now.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Turn Off Ads?