Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Pitch count: 330 max over 3 starts

Pitch count: 330 max over 3 starts

Just watching the Red Sox telecast, and they were talking to pitching coach Curt Young, who said the Sox put a maximum number of 330 pitches on a starter over 3 consecutive starts. Whether they have evidence linking that threshold to injury, or they're just exercising reasonable caution, he didn't say. Interesting way to look at pitch counts.

I'm going to have to go back and look at Bailey's starts late in 2009 -- seemed like Dusty was riding him pretty hard over a string of starts back then.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Pitch count: 330 max over 3 starts

That's probably a good way to approach things. I've never been one to think that one single game of a high pitch count (unless it's absolutely ridiculously high) would injure a pitcher, but rather repeated, cyclical abuse.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    2013 Reds Record when I attend: 5-4
    2012 Reds Record when I attend: 10-7

HB averaged about 115 over 6 starts towards the end of 2009.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    HB averaged about 115 over 6 starts towards the end of 2009.
    I still say that certain body types and guys with certain types of deliveries can easily handle a heavier pitch count regularly. Homer's one of them IMO. So's Bronson.

I still say that certain body types and guys with certain types of deliveries can easily handle a heavier pitch count regularly. Homer's one of them IMO. So's Bronson.
    Homer's missed time the last 2 years with shoulder problems.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Homer's missed time the last 2 years with shoulder problems.
    And you could ASSUME that there's a correlation. But there's nothing for certain. He had a ton of rest during the off season, then after only a few games throwing this spring (minimal numbers of pitches) he has some shoulder inflammation. Not sure you can link the two together.

And you could ASSUME that there's a correlation. But there's nothing for certain. He had a ton of rest during the off season, then after only a few games throwing this spring (minimal numbers of pitches) he has some shoulder inflammation. Not sure you can link the two together.
    Of course not. But I'd assume there's a correlation before assuming there isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I generally agree with you. But I do think you have to watch any pitcher closely when they are coming off an injury like Bailey. It may not be because of heavy pitch counts in the past but there is no way to know that. So you have to watch him very closely. Especially his first few starts back.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I generally agree with you. But I do think you have to watch any pitcher closely when they are coming off an injury like Bailey. It may not be because of heavy pitch counts in the past but there is no way to know that. So you have to watch him very closely. Especially his first few starts back.
    Totally agree.

Of course not. But I'd assume there's a correlation before assuming there isn't.
    To be on the safe side, absolutely. I'm pretty sure we're all on the same page here. :O)

It may not be because of heavy pitch counts in the past but there is no way to know that. So you have to watch him very closely. Especially his first few starts back.
    Just pointing out again that the Red Sox put a hard cap on their pitch counts over 3 starts. Seems like a reasonable idea to me -- it gives the manager some flexibility in any 1 given game, but curtails that flexibility over ensuing starts if the count goes high. I wonder if the Reds do something similar. It did seem to me back in late 09 that Baker was consistently pushing 23-year-old Homer quite hard start after start, and I would have liked to see him back off after a couple games where Homer went 115+.

Just watching the Red Sox telecast, and they were talking to pitching coach Curt Young, who said the Sox put a maximum number of 330 pitches on a starter over 3 consecutive starts. Whether they have evidence linking that threshold to injury, or they're just exercising reasonable caution, he didn't say. Interesting way to look at pitch counts.

Can't know for sure, but considering that Bill James is employed by the Red Sox, and knowing that this sort of thing is right up his alley, I'd strongly suspect that this derives from more than intuitive caution.

Turn Off Ads?