Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is Jonny Gomes the Starter in Left Field?

Why is Jonny Gomes the Starter in Left Field?

Can't think of one logical reason.

I'd release the guy.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 05-03-2011 at 09:17 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    BAKER12

Re: Why is Jonny Gomes the Starter in Left Field?

He is leading the team in HR, RBI and second in SB

Quote Originally Posted by BAKER12 View Post
    He is leading the team in HR, RBI and second in SB
    His OPS was north of 1.131 on April 17th. It is now .792. People are going to be frustrated when a player has a stretch like that. You play up how he is leading the team in RBIs, but the only reason for that is the amount of time Votto has been on base in front of him. He's actually only hitting .200 with RISP. For a guy touted as being a super-clutch hitter, only three position players on the roster have a worse batting average with men in scoring position (Francisco, Bruce, and Hernandez). However, he does have an OBP of .381 in those situations, so it's not like he's been absolutely worthless at the plate. I'm just noting that the reason he has more RBIs than anyone else is because he's had more PAs with RISP than anyone on the team -- 41 PAs for Gomes, next closest is Bruce with 31; I have not accounted for HBPs in calculating that, so it's possible Gomes may have more, if either of his two HBPs occurred with RISP.

BAKER12

If the Reds had someone that was a huge upgrade he would be playing. I am not sure, what the obsession is with Heisey. He is a better fielder than Gomes and other than being a fan favorite (backup QB syndrome) I do not think he is better. Simply put, the likes of St. Louis and the Brewers added pieces to their teams in the off season and the Reds stayed pat. Without Rolen we are just not a very good baseball team.

'19 '40 '75 '76 '90

Jonny Gomes you so streaky!

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

If the Reds had someone that was a huge upgrade he would be playing. I am not sure, what the obsession is with Heisey. He is a better fielder than Gomes and other than being a fan favorite (backup QB syndrome) I do not think he is better. Simply put, the likes of St. Louis and the Brewers added pieces to their teams in the off season and the Reds stayed pat. Without Rolen we are just not a very good baseball team.
    I'm not so sure how good we are with Rolen in the batting order. He's a far cry from what he used to be.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

He sure could hit HalMorrisRules's Avatar

Because he has the 6th best OBP on the team. Better than Heisey, Bruce and Hermida. See? Nice and logical.

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

In a nutshell: Dusty Baker. End of discussion.

Code:
    STAT	Heisey	Gomes
    OPS	0.787	0.760
    PA/RBI 	3.6	6.6
    GLOVE	YES	NO
    MOHAWK	NO	YES
    VC	NO	YES
    1)VC - Found in the glossary of Bakermetrics 101. VC stands for Veteran Creaminess, which is usually in the eye of the beholder. Bakermetrics holds that no team can win on a consistent basis without an excess amount of Veteran Creaminess.

2)In his last 42 PA (Heisey has 43 on the season, Jonny Gomes has an OPS of .300. This is testing the very limits of VC.
    Last edited by texasdave; 05-04-2011 at 09:56 AM.

There is no logical reason, on any other team he is your bench player at best...

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Can't think of one logical reason.

I'd release the guy.
    Funny, 2-3 weeks ago the posts seemed to be how he had turned it around, what great at bats he was having this season, etc.
    UNC Tar Heels 2009 National Champions 5 time NCAA Champs
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

real baseball - No DH

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    Funny, 2-3 weeks ago the posts seemed to be how he had turned it around, what great at bats he was having this season, etc.

How true. Apparently he is the best option in a less than mediocre lot. Fred Lewis was just activated so maybe he'll get some playing time.

"Kids are always chasing rainbows, but baseball is a world where you can catch them." ~
    Johnny Vander Meer

BAKER12

The Mohawk is probably worth three starts a week

The Mohawk is probably worth three starts a week
    Makes Sense.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Rhymon View Post
    Fred Lewis was just activated so maybe he'll get some playing time.
    Not if you read Dusty's comments today. Dusty seems disinterested in Fred Lewis. Fred must have broken up with Dusty's daughter.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Not if you read Dusty's comments today. Dusty seems disinterested in Fred Lewis. Fred must have broken up with Dusty's daughter.
    link to comments please

Turn Off Ads?