Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cueto to return and start Sunday @ Cubs

Re: Cueto to return and start Sunday @ Cubs

Well, this is a tough call, IMO.

Before yesterday, Leake really only had one bad start. I did not follow the game last night, but the box score says that he's a disaster.

Basically, everyone but Arroyo has been hurt or struggling this year.
    That makes it a hard call for who should stay in the rotation.
    IMO, this is why I liked the Arroyo extension. Maybe Arroyo doesn't earn his money in the last year of his deal, but he's earning it this year. Clearly the best pitcher so far. That might change by the end of the year, but he's by far the most reliable/predictable guy we have. He's the glue that holds the pitching staff together.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Leake averages 87.9 MPH per fastball. So no, he does not average 90.
    On his four seamer, which I will admit he doesn't throw that often, he averages 89.6 MPH.

Mike Leake Pitchfx

Regardless, this shows that he doesn't struggle to throw 90, he hits above it when he wants to, he just chooses not to most of the time.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

I actually think Mike Leake's stuff looks better this year than last. His peripherals back that up too, so far: 8.13 K/9 (5.92 last year) and 2.88 BB/9 (3.19 last year). He's missing a lot more bats than last season. He's had a few bad innings, but other than that, he's been perhaps our best starting pitcher in this young season. I know some are down on him but I'm encouraged...

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    This season he's allowed 22 runs. That breaks down as 1 run in the 1st, 3 runs in the second, 1 run in the third, 9 runs in the fourth and 8 runs in the 5th. 17 of the 22 runs he's allowed have come in the 4th and 5th innings.

Prior to last night, 8 of the 15 runs he'd allowed came on the 3rd time through the order. He looks good for a while and then gets rocked. Last year, it took a couple of months for teams to figure him out. Now they figure him out in the 2nd or 3rd at bat.
    Those are skewed greatly by two innings. He had no issue in the 2nd and 3rd times through the order in 4 of 6 starts.

I still think Cueto needs another rehab start. This in particular worries me.

In his last assignment start for Louisville on Sunday, Cueto threw 99 pitches over only 4 2/3 innings and allowed two runs (one earned) with five hits, two walks and six strikeouts. There was talk of making some adjustments and having him pitch on Friday for Class A Dayton.

"I felt good," Cueto said. "It's different at Triple-A, with the hitters. They got a lot of fouls. I threw strikes -- foul, foul, foul. I felt good. I felt ready to go."
    Yeah, Johnny. It's different in the majors too.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I actually think Mike Leake's stuff looks better this year than last. His peripherals back that up too, so far: 8.13 K/9 (5.92 last year) and 2.88 BB/9 (3.19 last year). He's missing a lot more bats than last season. He's had a few bad innings, but other than that, he's been perhaps our best starting pitcher in this young season. I know some are down on him but I'm encouraged...
    I agree. I think he's arguably been our #2 starter so far this season, although last night was a disaster, which in all fairness needs to be considered (and makes it debatable).

That's why (if it were up to me), I'd be hestitant to move him to the pen.
    No clear cut answer for who to bump out of the rotation, IMO.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

All Reds starters have a xFIP lower than their actual ERA, and some have significantly lower xFIP's than ERA (Wood in particular).

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I'm trying to figure this one out. They're sending Leake to the pen. No problem with this as he was supposed to be the long man out of the pen at the start of the season. But they've also send LeCure to the pen. Here's where I'm puzzled. Doesn't that seem redundant? If they both go to the pen, who's being sent down? Smith & Fisher? I'd send down LeCure and keep one of either Smith & Fisher.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Name me a closer who is right handed and struggles to throw 90.

Good luck.
    Trevor Hoffman.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

I think both the Bailey and Cueto moves are panic moves at this point. Yes this season has not started how they wanted or we envisioned but let Cueto especially prove that he can go 6 innings consistently before calling him up. Maybe Walt just needs to say NO to Dusty or Bob

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    Trevor Hoffman.
    Yeah when he was 85 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Leake averages 87.9 MPH per fastball. So no, he does not average 90.
    Averaging under 88 on your fastball=struggles to throw 90. And that's the second time I've seen somebody say he could hit 95 on this board.

Mike Leake has never and will never throw 95 in his life.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Those are skewed greatly by two innings. He had no issue in the 2nd and 3rd times through the order in 4 of 6 starts.
    Stop it. He's been useless since June of last season and this is what you come up with? It's time for him to go to AAA.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Stop it. He's been useless since June of last season and this is what you come up with? It's time for him to go to AAA.
    The Reds are 3-3 when he pitches this year with one of the losses being 3-2. 4 QSs in 6 games this year.

Useless might be a little much.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    The Reds are 3-3 when he pitches this year with one of the losses being 3-2. 4 QSs in 6 games this year.

Useless might be a little much.
    Useless. Look at his stats going back to June, and he's been useless.

The Reds are 4-2 when Volquez starts and you've been trying to send him to AAA for a month now.

Turn Off Ads?