Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: It's time to make Chapman a starter

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

It's time to make Chapman a starter

He's too good to "waste" his talents as a set-up man out of the bullpen. He's definitely going to be a starter at some point in his Reds career -- likely next season at the latest -- but I think now is the time to pull the trigger.

I think every team we face is thrilled they only might have to face him for one inning instead of having to deal with him starting a game. Now, maybe the Reds brass doesn't think his arm is strong enough yet. OK, I could buy that, but we all agree it's going to happen sooner or later, right? He will be a starter at some point, correct? Or do some fans think he is the closer of the future? I want a talent like him pitching 180 innings per year. Not 60-70. The Reds are just not maximizing the production they could get out of him right now IMO.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: It's time to make Chapman a starter

Agree 100%. This ought to be priority #1 for 2012. Chapman is the pitcher who may be able to significantly elevate this rotation. Maybe he won't be able to do it, but we should definitely be trying to determine that ASAP.

When he has better and more consistant control I will vote for that. But until then he's better off right where he is.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Worth The Wait

Disagree... I think that's a panic move. Walt and Dusty are handling him well-- limiting his innings and letting him gradually break in. Chances are he'd have high pitch counts through the middle innings--- and that puts more stress on him physically and more pressure on Dusty to "protect" him versus trying to win a game.

I AM in favor of moving him past Masset into the 8th inning role and possibly getting a shot at closin if Coco falters. And I will be very open to him joining the rotation next year--- but not now in midseason.

He'll have to cut down on the walks or you'll just have another 5 inning or less pitcher.

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513 View Post
    He'll have to cut down on the walks or you'll just have another 5 inning or less pitcher.
    Exactly. He has 11 walks in 12 innings at the moment. That doesn't translate very well to be a starter.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Exactly. He has 11 walks in 12 innings at the moment. That doesn't translate very well to be a starter.
    ...and translates even worse into a late inning reliever.

I like him better as a starter if he continues to struggle with control, but think that ship has sailed for this year. I'd stretch him out next spring though.
    sorry we're boring

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post

I like him better as a starter if he continues to struggle with control, but think that ship has sailed for this year. I'd stretch him out next spring though.
    Bottom line is that his control has to be better if he's going to have any type of long career in MLB. Pitchers with poor control don't normally last long.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Except it translates into even more walks as a starter. As a reliever he can just throw 100-102 down the middle and be fine. As a starter he is going to be throwing 96-100 and have to hit some spots or get toasted 2nd time through the order, especially if he can't get his slider in consistently for a strike.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Except it translates into even more walks as a starter. As a reliever he can just throw 100-102 down the middle and be fine. As a starter he is going to be throwing 96-100 and have to hit some spots or get toasted 2nd time through the order, especially if he can't get his slider in consistently for a strike.
    Chapman will earn his money with his slider. 99-100 down the middle gets jacked by big leaguers, unless you can spot and keep them off balance.

Starting gives him more of a margin for error. Relieving will get him into trouble much faster if he can't hit the strike zone.

I think Chapman would be a lights out closer, if he can learn to throw strikes with consistency. I don't care of he starts or closes, I just want him to fulfill his great potential.
    sorry we're boring

Except that it hasn't.

I'm thinking it's time to have a beer.

Why send him down to stretch him out. While they will never do this the team could start him every 5th or 6th day and start to stretch him out then have Leake as the planned relief man or even LeCure as the planned relief/back up starter for that game.

Yes, it wastes a spot on the roster for pitching but it helps to stretch him out against big league hitters that will hit his fastball if it is not located and allows him to work with Ramon and Price.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I'm thinking it's time to have a beer.
    Just one?

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Just one?
    High Five !

Turn Off Ads?