Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dan Hoard the new Bengals radio voice

Dan Hoard the new Bengals radio voice

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/tv/2011/...s-radio-voice/

Good for Dan. I really like it when he calls a game.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: Dan Hoard the new Bengals radio voice

The Brad & Dave combo was unlistenable. Glad to see that era of Bengals radio has passed.

ETA: I see on the Enquirer that Hoard will keep his UC duties. That sounds half-past insane -- with ESPN having the Big East contract, it's entirely possible for Hoard to have an 8:00 PM kick for UC football in someplace like Morgantown, WV and then need to be at a Bengals game by 1:00 PM the next day.

Not a lot of redeye flights leaving WVU for Houston or Kansas City.
    Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 05-04-2011 at 05:59 PM.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I love me some Dan Hoard. Of course, it's easy to say that when he's the voice of my alma mater.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    The Brad & Dave combo was unlistenable. Glad to see that era of Bengals radio has passed.

ETA: I see on the Enquirer that Hoard will keep his UC duties. That sounds half-past insane -- with ESPN having the Big East contract, it's entirely possible for Hoard to have an 8:00 PM kick for UC football in someplace like Morgantown, WV and then need to be at a Bengals game by 1:00 PM the next day.

Thom does it all the time, I'm sure they might have to hire a private jet once or twice but not often. Luckily UC has a bye the day before the Bengals are in Seattle. He shouldn't really have a problem looking at the schedules this year.

Good move, I like Hoard in this role. Not so much with the Reds

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

His Pawsox blog will be missed. I hope he keeps blogging, whether the Bengals or something else.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post

They did say if there are conflicts he may end up missing some UC games. Though Dave Lapham also has this same type of schedule. He does TV for Big 12 games every Saturday and then just flies to whatever city the Bengals are in for Sunday.

I liked Brad. I thought he was a smooth game caller and had a good voice. I can't say the same thing about Lap, but I don't mind a homer for my teams.

Honestly, I couldn't understand Brad when anything exciting happened. Lapham? I have always taken him for what he is- very knowledgeable about the game and possessing many inside connections, but not so talented with the microphone. On balance, I don't think he has detracted from the broadcasts except when he screamed into the mic like Brad.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

I thought Hoard did a fine job on Reds games. I've never heard much of him other than that.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

The Bengals broadcast team has sounded like a couple of high school kids to me. Maybe Dan can improve that.

Perhaps I missed it, but I haven't seen anywhere that the Bengals' actually thanked Johansen for his 11/12 years of service. If I missed it, then fine, otherwise yet another classless move by the worst front office/ownership in sports.

I liked having Brad and Lap announce the games, they were the only thing making most of the Bengals' games exciting. Not a UC guy and apprarently didn't catch any of the games Dan Hoard did with the Reds, so I have no opinion on him, but I'm sure the actual "questions" Johansen asked Mike Brown had no bearing on him being let go.

god I hate this team more and more everyday...

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    I love me some Dan Hoard. Of course, it's easy to say that when he's the voice of my alma mater.
    I listen to a lot of UC stuff, I find Hoard to be just OK. There's a quality to his voice that I'm just not a huge fan of. I think he's actually better for basketball than football, but that's just my opinion.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Honestly, I couldn't understand Brad when anything exciting happened. Lapham? I have always taken him for what he is- very knowledgeable about the game and possessing many inside connections, but not so talented with the microphone. On balance, I don't think he has detracted from the broadcasts except when he screamed into the mic like Brad.
    It's OK for the color guy to scream into the mic but for the play by play guy to do it is completely inappropriate. I am so glad to see this change although it is long overdue

I'd give Phil Samp the nod as the best play by play Bengal announcer ever and a 2nd place to Pete Arbogast

Turn Off Ads?