Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Networking Problem

Networking Problem

About 2 weeks ago my Linksys N series router died on me. I had a brand new Belkin N series in reserve and installed it. Everything went fine. I have 2 other desktops and 3 laptops in my home network [Yeah, I got teenagers].

Anyway - I keep getting occasional error messages on some of these computers in the network that says there is a "IP Address conflict". But even getting that message I'm still, for the most part, able to get on the 'net. But I have recently started to have some problems on a couple of the computers in the network. I'll be on-line, on a certain site, and when I try to go to another page on that site I'll all of a sudden get that "can't find website" message. But I still show having a solid internet connection. And when I try to open other websites it still works. Then, a couple minutes later, when I go back to that particular site, or close out my browser and come back in, it works again. And I'm having this problem with any browser I use.... Chrome, IE, or Opera.

Is there an IP Address conflict somewhere that is causing this sporadic problem? And how do I correct it? Would appreciate any assistance in this matter.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Networking Problem

Check in your router settings, usually under LAN Setup, make sure it has enough ip addresses set to be available, if not you can get conflicts.
    Go Gators!

What do you mean Matt by "enough IP Addesses"? I went into my router setup, and LAN settings, and under IP Adress, which is the Internal IP address of the Router, it only lists one, and I don't see where you can add mulitple?

Are you referring to the DHCP Server maybe, which assigns an IP Address to each computer in the network? In there it has an IP Pool starting and ending adress.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Are you referring to the DHCP Server maybe, which assigns an IP Address to each computer in the network? In there it has an IP Pool starting and ending adress.
    Yeah that, make sure the pool is large enough.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Yeah that, make sure the pool is large enough.
    starting pool 192.168.2.2
    ending pool 192.168.2.100

I'm just wondering if the conflict is that a couple of these computers have the same IP address? Possible?

It is possible, that pool of addresses are the IP addresses the router hands out, with 98 available it doesn't sound like that's the trouble.

I'll go with an official 'I dunno'
    Go Gators!

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

starting pool 192.168.2.2
    ending pool 192.168.2.100

I'm just wondering if the conflict is that a couple of these computers have the same IP address? Possible?
    Perhaps one or more of your computers has a fixed IP address and is not getting it from the DHCP server (router).

Also, sometimes the router's IP conflicts with something else.
    I recall I had to change the third number in the IP addresses a couple of times.
    (as in 192.168.7.xxx instead of 192.168.2.xxx).
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Hey GAC have you password secured the router? If not someone could be stealing your signal or just the fact the signal is being shared between 2 or 3 different PC's. The reason I ask is because I am having the same problem and mine is not secured, I live in a small apartment complex and sometimes I wonder if I am THEE internet connection for the "complex".
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    Perhaps one or more of your computers has a fixed IP address and is not getting it from the DHCP server (router).

This is what I suspected, too. I have my printers on fixed IP addresses that are within the range of the pool. Occasionally when I power cycle my router, another device will grab the printers' IP addresses before the printers can announce their presence to the router. If the device snagging one of those IPs is a computer, the computer will show the error message GAC describes.

I recall I had to change the third number in the IP addresses a couple of times.
    If you only have one router, that solution isn't a good idea. Those IP addresses would be in different subnets and a consumer-grade router usually only controls one subnet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Hey GAC have you password secured the router? If not someone could be stealing your signal or just the fact the signal is being shared between 2 or 3 different PC's. The reason I ask is because I am having the same problem and mine is not secured, I live in a small apartment complex and sometimes I wonder if I am THEE internet connection for the "complex".
    Yeah, it's WPA password protected. I live out in the country where there are a few houses next to me. And at isolated times I have picked up the neighbor's network in my list of networks. But since I put this new router on, and password protected it hasn't shown up.

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    How do I check this to see if it's occurring? The message I mentioned originally has only appeared on two of the network computers. And to be honest, I haven't gotten that message again since I started this thread.

I use Google Chrome a majority of the time. And what was frustrating to me was I'd be on-line and when I tried to go elsewhere on that particular site all of a sudden I'd get the blank page with the message "Cannot find web page". I'd refresh the page and keep getting the same. Yet in my network, it was showing me having connection and a strong signal strength. If I tried another website, like RZ or ESPN, it would open them right up. Then, if I closed out the browser and then went back to that particular site it would load it up.

Now my oldest boy is still having trouble on his laptop connecting with the network. He keeps getting a "cannot find DNS server". When he reboots the cable modem and router, then reboots his computer, he then is able to find the network and get on. But he has had to do this several times this past week.

I don't have a land line as far as phones go. We all have cell phones. I don't know what else it could be unless it's my Roku, which I use to get Netflix. But I've had the Roku for quite a while and it never caused a problem. At least when I had the Linksys router. This one is an N-series Belkin.

Would going to a WPA with no security help? That's what I normally have used. Again, I live out in the country and my neighbor, who is a good friend, is the only one nearby or close enough to matter IMO that has internet.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Here's Microsoft's take

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q133490

What you have to do is check the TCP/IP settings on the computers which are in conflict.
    One or both of them might have static IP addresses as opposed to addresses served from your router (DHCP).

I've been perusing around a Windows 7 machine I have here and I not found out how to do that. On a Mac I could tell you.

I think in Local Area Connections, there might be an option...but not sure.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

Thanks oneupper. I saved those links, and when I get time I'll read through them. My son who is having the problem with the DNS server error message has Windows 7. I use Vista on my laptop.

So basically I need to go in on those computers getting the error and make sure they are running DHCP, and that it's assigning an IP Address automatically?

Thanks oneupper. I saved those links, and when I get time I'll read through them. My son who is having the problem with the DNS server error message has Windows 7. I use Vista on my laptop.

So basically I need to go in on those computers getting the error and make sure they are running DHCP, and that it's assigning an IP Address automatically?
    I think that would be it. It really shouldn't matter what version of Windows they are running.

Turn Off Ads?