Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Networking Problem

Re: Networking Problem

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    I think that would be it. It really shouldn't matter what version of Windows they are running.
    That is correct. DHCP has been around for a long time. I think Windows 95 and NT had it. Maybe even before then.

Just set up every networked device (laptop, desktop, network printer if you have one, etc) to DHCP.

Pay attention to the open sky

2. Turn Off Ads?

The computer I'm on now is the only one I'm getting the message "Windows has detected an IP Address Conflict. Another computer has the same IP address as this one". I checked the IP Addresses on all the computers and they are all different. So Windows is lying to me obviously. LOL

I also checked every computer's network properties, and all of them are set to automatic as far as IP Address and DHCP.

The only one who continues to have periodic problems is the oldest boy's laptop, which is the only one with Windows 7. He keeps losing internet and gets the message "Cannot find DNS Server. Contact you Administrator". And as soon as he resets the router he's back on. He thinks it the fact I am using WPA with a security passphrase. I don't really think that's it, but to humor him I'm going to use WPA without the security to see what it does.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Your router may be the one lying. It's unfortunate this didn't come up sooner. I had a couple of routers lying around. I gave one away and sold the other on eBay.
    Would have preferred sending it your way.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Turn Off Ads?