Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Indianapolis 500

Indianapolis 500

Has anyone ever attended the Indianapolis 500? This is its centennial year and I am considering attending.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Indianapolis 500

I have lived my whole life in Indy so yes, I have been several times though I am not a fan of racing. However it is a fun time everyone should experience. The start and the end of the race are the best.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

I went in 2000. It's a great time and worth checking out at least once. You don't get to see cars doing 230mph every day, especially 33 of them doing three-wide at the start.

A couple of things to know before you go: Indy is large enough that no seat offers a view of the entire track. And parking is an adventure, so be prepared to sit in traffic and take what you can when it comes to parking.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

I've been a few times. Only when I was offered a free ticket. If you don't mind a little walk, we always had success getting out after the race by parking in the Coke lot. I think it fills up early though.

Plenty of food trucks to stop at along the way.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    You don't get to see cars doing 230mph every day, especially 33 of them doing three-wide at the start.
    You've never been on I-285, have you?

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    You've never been on I-285, have you?
    No doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    I've been a few times. Only when I was offered a free ticket. If you don't mind a little walk, we always had success getting out after the race by parking in the Coke lot. I think it fills up early though.

Plenty of food trucks to stop at along the way.
    Check out parking at the Indy Zoo or local malls and then take a metro bus to the track.

It is a pretty good gig.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Stat geek...and proud

I've always had good luck getting in and out parking at an industrial park off 10th Street.

Been the last 3 years, we have a group of about 40 that camps out at the coke lot Friday night - Sunday morning, consume way too much alcohol and go into the infield pretty much zombified every year for the race.

Wouldn't change it for the world, will be there again in a week and a half

Alex Tagliani takes the pole. 3 of the first 4,4 out of the first 6, and 6 of the first 9 are from "non power teams."

The fast 9 shootout is a bit contrived, but it sure made the race for the pole exciting.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

I went last year with my Dad and had a fabulous time. I definitely recommend going at least once for the total experience. If you go, go for the entire weekend.

PS- Don't miss St. Elmo Steak House!

My oldest son John and I are going to the 500. I am looking forward to it. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.
    Incidentally, media coverage of auto racing sometimes drives me nuts. I just watched a profie of last year's Indy 500 winner Dario Franchitti on ESPN Sports Center. For the most part it was good, except when the reporter referred to the racing accomplishments of Jim Clark in the "1960s and 1970s." Scottish racing legend Clark, who is Franchitti's idol, was killed in a crash in 1968, so he is hardly known for his victories in the 1970s.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    My oldest son John and I are going to the 500. I am looking forward to it. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.
    Incidentally, media coverage of auto racing sometimes drives me nuts. I just watched a profie of last year's Indy 500 winner Dario Franchitti on ESPN Sports Center. For the most part it was good, except when the reporter referred to the racing accomplishments of Jim Clark in the "1960s and 1970s." Scottish racing legend Clark, who is Franchitti's idol, was killed in a crash in 1968, so he is hardly known for his victories in the 1970s.
    You're right that sports coverage can drive one nuts. That one in particular would have been so easy to check, but instead it was just thrown in. I'm sure Clark was well known into the 70's. I'm guessing they took Franchitti's birthday of 1973 and Clark's active years, and just lazily said 60's and 70's.

The problem with auto racing in particular is that so few people know and are paying attention acutely enough to call attention to the problem. If ESPN makes a factual error on a story about Lebron James, 90% more people know the error, and are more likely to be watching (and paying attention) to the show.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    That's brutal. Not unexpected though. It's like the AP story about yesterday's qualifying. Here's the opening line: "Michael Andretti's team finally overcame its May curse." Really? I didn't realize that failing to qualify two of your cars constituted success. It's like people aren't even paying attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    You're right that sports coverage can drive one nuts. That one in particular would have been so easy to check, but instead it was just thrown in. I'm sure Clark was well known into the 70's. I'm guessing they took Franchitti's birthday of 1973 and Clark's active years, and just lazily said 60's and 70's.

The problem with auto racing in particular is that so few people know and are paying attention acutely enough to call attention to the problem. If ESPN makes a factual error on a story about Lebron James, 90% more people know the error, and are more likely to be watching (and paying attention) to the show.
    I've got to acknowledge that I erred. I happened to catch a re-broadcast of the Franchitti portion of Sports Center and the reporter referred to Jackie Stewart, not Jim Clark. Stewart was successful in both the 1960s and 1970s. I knew that Clark was Franchitti's idol and my brain (such as it is) thought it heard the reporter say Jim Clark, not Jackie Stewart. My apologies to ESPN.
    I do agree that coverage of motor sports by media that does not generally concentrate in that area often leaves something to be desired.

Turn Off Ads?