Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: Indianapolis 500

  1. #1
    Big Red Machine RedsBaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Out Wayne
    Posts
    22,763

    Indianapolis 500

    Has anyone ever attended the Indianapolis 500? This is its centennial year and I am considering attending.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Beer is good!! George Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    4,729

    Re: Indianapolis 500

    I have lived my whole life in Indy so yes, I have been several times though I am not a fan of racing. However it is a fun time everyone should experience. The start and the end of the race are the best.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

  4. #3
    SERP Emeritus paintmered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Cbus
    Posts
    7,042

    Re: Indianapolis 500

    I went in 2000. It's a great time and worth checking out at least once. You don't get to see cars doing 230mph every day, especially 33 of them doing three-wide at the start.

    A couple of things to know before you go: Indy is large enough that no seat offers a view of the entire track. And parking is an adventure, so be prepared to sit in traffic and take what you can when it comes to parking.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

  5. #4
    Bread Gloves Razor Shines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    6,307

    Re: Indianapolis 500

    I've been a few times. Only when I was offered a free ticket. If you don't mind a little walk, we always had success getting out after the race by parking in the Coke lot. I think it fills up early though.

    Plenty of food trucks to stop at along the way.

  6. #5
    Member 15fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    5,500

    Re: Indianapolis 500

    Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    You don't get to see cars doing 230mph every day, especially 33 of them doing three-wide at the start.
    You've never been on I-285, have you?

  7. #6
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,383

    Re: Indianapolis 500

    Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    You've never been on I-285, have you?
    No doubt

  8. #7
    Beer is good!! George Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    4,729

    Re: Indianapolis 500

    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    I've been a few times. Only when I was offered a free ticket. If you don't mind a little walk, we always had success getting out after the race by parking in the Coke lot. I think it fills up early though.

    Plenty of food trucks to stop at along the way.
    Check out parking at the Indy Zoo or local malls and then take a metro bus to the track.

    It is a pretty good gig.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

  9. #8
    Stat geek...and proud
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    New Paris, OH
    Posts
    2,522

    Re: Indianapolis 500

    I've always had good luck getting in and out parking at an industrial park off 10th Street.

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    992

    Re: Indianapolis 500

    Been the last 3 years, we have a group of about 40 that camps out at the coke lot Friday night - Sunday morning, consume way too much alcohol and go into the infield pretty much zombified every year for the race.

    Wouldn't change it for the world, will be there again in a week and a half

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,157

    Re: Indianapolis 500

    Alex Tagliani takes the pole. 3 of the first 4,4 out of the first 6, and 6 of the first 9 are from "non power teams."


    The fast 9 shootout is a bit contrived, but it sure made the race for the pole exciting.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

  12. #11
    Administrator GIK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    4,056

    Re: Indianapolis 500

    I went last year with my Dad and had a fabulous time. I definitely recommend going at least once for the total experience. If you go, go for the entire weekend.

    PS- Don't miss St. Elmo Steak House!

  13. #12
    Big Red Machine RedsBaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Out Wayne
    Posts
    22,763

    Re: Indianapolis 500

    My oldest son John and I are going to the 500. I am looking forward to it. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.
    Incidentally, media coverage of auto racing sometimes drives me nuts. I just watched a profie of last year's Indy 500 winner Dario Franchitti on ESPN Sports Center. For the most part it was good, except when the reporter referred to the racing accomplishments of Jim Clark in the "1960s and 1970s." Scottish racing legend Clark, who is Franchitti's idol, was killed in a crash in 1968, so he is hardly known for his victories in the 1970s.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

  14. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,157

    Re: Indianapolis 500

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    My oldest son John and I are going to the 500. I am looking forward to it. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.
    Incidentally, media coverage of auto racing sometimes drives me nuts. I just watched a profie of last year's Indy 500 winner Dario Franchitti on ESPN Sports Center. For the most part it was good, except when the reporter referred to the racing accomplishments of Jim Clark in the "1960s and 1970s." Scottish racing legend Clark, who is Franchitti's idol, was killed in a crash in 1968, so he is hardly known for his victories in the 1970s.
    You're right that sports coverage can drive one nuts. That one in particular would have been so easy to check, but instead it was just thrown in. I'm sure Clark was well known into the 70's. I'm guessing they took Franchitti's birthday of 1973 and Clark's active years, and just lazily said 60's and 70's.

    The problem with auto racing in particular is that so few people know and are paying attention acutely enough to call attention to the problem. If ESPN makes a factual error on a story about Lebron James, 90% more people know the error, and are more likely to be watching (and paying attention) to the show.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

  15. #14
    15 game winner Danny Serafini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Sultanes de Monterrey
    Posts
    4,183

    Re: Indianapolis 500

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Incidentally, media coverage of auto racing sometimes drives me nuts. I just watched a profie of last year's Indy 500 winner Dario Franchitti on ESPN Sports Center. For the most part it was good, except when the reporter referred to the racing accomplishments of Jim Clark in the "1960s and 1970s." Scottish racing legend Clark, who is Franchitti's idol, was killed in a crash in 1968, so he is hardly known for his victories in the 1970s.
    That's brutal. Not unexpected though. It's like the AP story about yesterday's qualifying. Here's the opening line: "Michael Andretti's team finally overcame its May curse." Really? I didn't realize that failing to qualify two of your cars constituted success. It's like people aren't even paying attention.

  16. #15
    Big Red Machine RedsBaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Out Wayne
    Posts
    22,763

    Re: Indianapolis 500

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    You're right that sports coverage can drive one nuts. That one in particular would have been so easy to check, but instead it was just thrown in. I'm sure Clark was well known into the 70's. I'm guessing they took Franchitti's birthday of 1973 and Clark's active years, and just lazily said 60's and 70's.

    The problem with auto racing in particular is that so few people know and are paying attention acutely enough to call attention to the problem. If ESPN makes a factual error on a story about Lebron James, 90% more people know the error, and are more likely to be watching (and paying attention) to the show.
    I've got to acknowledge that I erred. I happened to catch a re-broadcast of the Franchitti portion of Sports Center and the reporter referred to Jackie Stewart, not Jim Clark. Stewart was successful in both the 1960s and 1970s. I knew that Clark was Franchitti's idol and my brain (such as it is) thought it heard the reporter say Jim Clark, not Jackie Stewart. My apologies to ESPN.
    I do agree that coverage of motor sports by media that does not generally concentrate in that area often leaves something to be desired.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25