Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cincinnati Residential Moving Service Recommendation

Cincinnati Residential Moving Service Recommendation

All,

In June, once my lease is up, I'll be moving out of my apartment into my fiancee's house (~15 miles away) and for the first time, I've decided to go with a moving company for my larger items. I'm perfectly able to handle most of the smaller things, but for items such as a large TV and stand, computer desk, dresser, couches, etc. I want to have someone else assume that liability. My initial thought was Two Men and a Truck, and I've already requested an estimate from them, but I've since seen generally horrible reviews about them on eopinions.com. Does anyone have any experience with them? If so, were you satisfied with the job they did for the price? Also, has anyone else used another residential moving company in the Cincinnati area that you can recommend for my situation?

Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cincinnati Residential Moving Service Recommendation

I've used Two Men and a Truck and they were really great. But it was an easy move, so not sure if that played into it.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    I've used Two Men and a Truck and they were really great. But it was an easy move, so not sure if that played into it.
    Thanks for your input - I'm moving out of a small one bedroom apartment without anything unusual or gigantic (other than maybe my TV ) they'll have to move, so I'd imagine this should also be pretty routine for them.

My father used 2 men and a truck when he moved from his house into an apartment, then again when he moved from the apartment into the new house once construction was up. This was in the Dayton region, but he's a realtor by living, so he has a pretty good handle on who does a good job w/ that sort of thing and who doesn't. Of course, when he decided to sell the house I grew up in, he pretty much sold off everything he owned in the house except for a TV, a chair, a table, his bed and perhaps a dresser or two. My mother (deceased about 10 years prior to his deciding to down size) had a country type style. When he built the new place, he wanted a more modern look, so he didn't have much to move from one place to the other, hard to mess up.

My mother in law used herschel moving (or something like that) when moving in Monroe. They're up in Lebanon off of route 48. She was generally pleased; they also moved a piano from my mother in law's old house into my house that my wife played as a kid when they were done at her new house. Only 1 item, but they were quick, effecient and called prior to heading up and arrived on schedule.

Two Men and a Truck is awesome. They estimated our move from Springdale to a Downtown highrise (always complicated for a mover due to elevator logistics) at 7 hours and did it in 5.5 hours. They were friendly, punctual, courteous and cautious. I can't recommend them enough.

Thank you both for your input. Medford, is it safe to assume that since your dad used them again, he was pleased with the job and/or the price Two Men and a Truck did? They should be calling me any minute to give me an estimate.

yes I'd assume so. Again, it was a pretty simple move considering he sold all his old stuff and bought all new stuff for the new place, so I can't imagine anyone screwing it up, but considering he works with people that are in the process of moving, he has a pretty good handle on who does a nice job.

Perhaps the problem they have, is that its a large company that does a job most people only deal with handful of times in their life (if ever). I think by nature, that's going to lead to more complaints that positive comments. In a business where its pretty easy to break something, its naturally going to piss you off enough to comment on it. If they handle the job on time, and everything makes it in one piece as it should a customer isn't likely to think twice about it as you've got a million other things to deal with when you moving.

In the end, its going to depend on the crew you get. I'll assume some are better than others, some will have a bad day, etc... They may be better in one area than another, so its impossible to know for sure.

I do find it amusing that in an thread about moving, there's an ad for quotes from a moving company. Coincidence its not I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    I do find it amusing that in an thread about moving, there's an ad for quotes from a moving company. Coincidence its not I'm sure.
    The ads work on a meta tag type system and pull keywords from each post to generate an ad they believe is more likely to recieve a click thru.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    The ads work on a meta tag type system and pull keywords from each post to generate an ad they believe is more likely to recieve a click thru.
    That's spot on...that Google company must really know what they're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Thanks, I assumed it was something like that, I'd just never noticed any of the adds until this thread, which matched exactly and made me smile. I guess it worked, if I had been looking for a moving company quote.

They probably won't help you since you don't want to do the lifting, but I like PODs "Put it in a Pod" for my last move, but I needed combined storage and move and it worked great for that....plus I'm super cheap and didn't want to pay someone to pack my crap.

I have a friend who like ABF U-Pack...the pull up a trailer, you pack it, and they drive it.

Thanks again for everyone's help. I was able to get a quote from the local Two Men and a Truck and they're estimating between 2 and 3.5 hours to move the things I need them to move. That seems reasonable enough to me, as does their price per hour ($95 during the week, $105 on Saturday). I might check out one more local place just to have something to compare that against, but I'm likely to go with Two Men and a Truck. Thanks again for everyone who has responded here...I appreciate it.

When I used 2 Men and a Truck back in the day (circa 1990), I sat a case of beer in the garage and told the guys that was part of their tip. Things went pretty fast after that.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

You may want to get a few more quotes. I moved 100 miles last year and got several quotes. The one from Two Men & a Truck was one of the highest quotes. I believe it came in around $1,200-$1,300, before any tip was factored in. I ended up getting a small company from outside the city to do everything for $770, including the tip, and they did a fantastic job. Can't remember the name of the company for the life of me right now.

Turn Off Ads?