Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Rank the SS Defenders

Rank the SS Defenders

The Iglesias trade thread and the Janish vs. Renteria thread have me wondering how the SS in the system stack-up defensively. I think Miguel Rojas is way under-rated, but don't really have much more than impressions to go on. How would you rank the defenders? Based on my impressions (and in some cases that's all I got) I'd say the guys who are legit SS would rank as follows:

1. Rojas
    2. Janish
    3. Cozart
    4. Gregorious
    5. Negron
    6. Hamilton

Anybody who has spent more time watching than I have care to weigh in?
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rank the SS Defenders

I' m reluctant to rate guys I haven't seen, but I'd rate the 3 I have seen in the order mth has them: 1. Janish 2. Cozart 3. Negron

This is strictly defense, right? You really have three categories of guys there and you would get some differing opinions on the order within each category (especially the first category--there are people who would have Cozart higher. I personally would say that it is tough to beat Janish right now).

Category 1:

Janish
    Rojas
    Cozart

(then there is a drop off)

Category 2

Gregorius
    Negron

(another drop off)

Category 3

Hamilton (has the tools to move up the list with more experience)

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    This is strictly defense, right? You really have three categories of guys there and you would get some differing opinions on the order within each category (especially the first category--there are people who would have Cozart higher. I personally would say that it is tough to beat Janish right now).

Category 1:

Janish
    Rojas
    Cozart

(then there is a drop off)

Category 2

Gregorius
    Negron

(another drop off)

Category 3

Hamilton (has the tools to move up the list with more experience)
    Thanks for the response. I see the same groupings. Curious about Rojas. Does he have some defensive flaws to put him behind Janish or is Janish just better than I give him credit for?

I see Janish as a very solid major league defensive SS. Not the top tier, but on the firnge of it. I've always had the impression (and its only that) that Rojas was Gold Glove caliber if he could hit enough to play up there.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Rojas' arm is a little weaker than you might like for a gold glover and he does not have the athletic ability of a Gregorius (or certainaly a Hamilton), but he would be a top-tier big league shortstop.

I will admit that I am not able to see the big league club on a daily basis but I might be a little higher on Janish than you are.

There are still some scouts who like Cozart better than Rojas. It's close on these three. You have to really watch all three players every day to split hairs, and of course, that is impossible.

As I have said for years, I love Rojas' game and makeup.

I can't add anything to the discussion, but agree with giving the tiebreaker to Janish at this point. It seems that both Cozart and Rojas are regarded slightly higher than Janish was at that level, but Janish's performance with the Reds has been so nearly flawless that I think you have to knock the crown off his head.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I don't think Janish is as athletic as some of the other guys, but his arm is the deciding factor for me. That cannon can make up for quite a bit. I've got him at #1 as well. But I must admit I've yet to see Rojas or Gregorius.

-The Insider-

Seeing Rojas and Cozart here's my assessment. Cozart is a better situational hitter that would hit sixth or seventh. Rojas has a better glove, but might not hit as well as Cozart. However, his bat has come around this year so far and he could hit second if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    I' m reluctant to rate guys I haven't seen, but I'd rate the 3 I have seen in the order mth has them: 1. Janish 2. Cozart 3. Negron
    Ditto on all points.

Turn Off Ads?