Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: 100 Stolen Bags for Billy this Season?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

20 40.82%
  • No

29 59.18%
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Billy Hamilton - 100 SB this season?

Billy Hamilton - 100 SB this season?

Yeah or nay?

He currently has 21 in Dayton's 28th game.

I vote yes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Billy Hamilton - 100 SB this season?

Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    Yeah or nay?

He currently has 21 in Dayton's 28th game.

I vote yes
    Yay. I hope he's saving a pair of black gloves for every one, too.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Yay. I hope he's saving a pair of black gloves for every one, too.
    Billy Mays Hayes?
    Go BLUE!!!

I went with no. He will get close, but as the season wears on he will slow it down some.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

What Doug said. He'll slow down as the temps heat up. But still -- that's impressive.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Given that Billy's 20 years old, weighs 160 lbs, and is from south central Mississippi, I don't think he's going to get tired or would be much affected by the heat in the Midwest league.

I don't really care so much. I just want to see him get the rest of his game in order and forget about worrying about the steals. We know he can steal bases. Just where is Esix Snead these days?
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

If he doesn't get 100, it'll be because the season doesn't go as long. He'll be what Juan Pierre used to be in the majors in terms of steals.

I don't see it happening. It won't be the heat, but just playing so many games for a kid so young and small is going to wear on him. Even if he can get on base a little more I think 85 would be a solid number. Catchers/pitchers should improve at a much higher rate than Billy's baserunning as the season progresses.

He's a lot different than Pierre though, Billy runs pretty much any time there is a base to be had. I think Juan just had his career high last season, his SB numbers aren't that impressive compared to what you would think they should be with his speed and OBP.

I've been asking Ben Badler about this a lot, and he's predicting 80ish. I kind of agree.

The old adage you can't steal first will definitely apply here. It's gonna be a tall task when he's barely scratching the .300 mark with his OBP and other teams begin to zero in on slowing down his running game. If he starts putting the bat on the ball a little more and stays healthy, he's got it easy though.

If he doesn't get 100, it'll be because the season doesn't go as long. He'll be what Juan Pierre used to be in the majors in terms of steals.
    This is an interesting comment. Hamilton is no doubt extremely fast, but Pierre seems like roughly a best case scenario offensively. Practically everyone on this board would have a cow if we traded for Juan Pierre, but for whatever reason, Hamilton is salivated over. He hasn't shown any hint of power potential and I'm questioning whether or not he'll develop the eye-popping contact skills needed to make up for it. I got excited when BA ranked him over Mesoraco, and I still like him more than most, but I'm really starting to question the hype.

Pretty sure a part of that, mth, is Pierre is an OF while Hamilton plays SS. That kind of skillset at SS is of interest, at least to me.

I'd say 'yes', but only if you could steal first base.

I'm going with 'no'.

Billy has 21 steals and 21 hits. One of his hits is a HR

Sure he could get to 100 but why would we want him to? That's a ton of wear and tear on his body and it's pointless to expend that much physical capital in A Ball. I don't understand why he's running as much as he is, to be frank. I hope they put the brakes on his stealing soon

Turn Off Ads?