Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds sign Skelton

-The Insider-

Reds sign Skelton

The Cincinnati Reds have signed catcher James Skelton to a minor league deal. Skelton, who was drafted by the Tigers in the 14th round of the 2004 draft, was selected by the Diamondbacks in the 2008 Rule V draft. Before the 2009 season started the Diamondbacks made a deal with the Tigers sending right-handed pitcher Brooks Brown to Detroit so Arizona could keep left-handed hitting catcher in its minor league system and not have to keep in him on the 25-man roster.
    Since then Skelton played the 2010 season in the Pirates system, spending most of the year in High-A Bradenton.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds sign Skelton

A lot of people were really wanting the Reds to take him in the rule five draft. I think we can now see why it didn't happen. Something tells me this move is meant to be a precursor to Grandal's promotion to Carolina.

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    A lot of people were really wanting the Reds to take him in the rule five draft. I think we can now see why it didn't happen. Something tells me this move is meant to be a precursor to Grandal's promotion to Carolina.
    Very well could be. That likely makes the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I hope you're right.

As I recall Skeltons problem was a lack of size/strength/pop, he may yet be a decent player at some point who knows. If not though no biggie he's now in a place loaded with solid legit prospects.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

In 2008, at age 22, he posted a .307/.468/.406/.873 in the Florida State League. Awfully good, especially for a catcher. It was his third straight .300/.800 season. But then there's a disconnect. The next year, in the California League--which he should have blown up--he hit .236. Something had to have happened. Last year, he was back in the FSL, hitting okay but not like he did two years before.

So he's a Red Skelton?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    So he's a Red Skelton?
    Now, there's some Scrap irony.

I was one who wanted the Reds to draft Skelton. He seemed poised to become something similar to what Ryan Hanigan has become. Given Hanigan's late bloom, maybe he still will. IIRC, Skelton could play around the IF. He's worth a look for no cost.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

He was the skinny guy, right?

So will he go to Bakersfield? It looks like he hasn't played anywhere yet this season. Where has he been?
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

-The Insider-

He just signed a few days ago so right now he's in extended.

Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    He was the skinny guy, right?
    Yep.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

How many option years does James Skelton have left?

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    How many option years does James Skelton have left?
    He's not on the 40.

But to answer your question, all three. He's never been on the 40-man roster if I recall correctly.

Turn Off Ads?