Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: If I were Edinson Volquez.....

Re: If I were Edinson Volquez.....

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Marty is particularly hard on Latino players IMO. Marty seems to pick out one or two players every year to dog on a daily basis, his time has passed and Reds baseball will be much more enjoyable when the team cuts ties with the Brennemans IMO.
    No, he is hard on those who arent giving it their all. He used to rip Griffey for not running balls out. He ragged Dunn for his lazy play. I dont think this is a spot to try and play the race card, he simply doesnt cuddle lazy play. I find it refreshing to hear the truth instead of being fed Cardinals style homerism.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by signalhome View Post
    Yeah, you nailed it. Since I don't like Marty Brennaman, I worship at the altar of La Russa. I just don't like announcers who go to either extreme. Marty and George Grande are on opposite ends of the spectrum (one picks players to bash constantly, the other is positive about everything to the point of annoyance), and I can't stand listening to either one. I don't know how that makes me any less of a Reds fan.

Someone called Kelch boring earlier, but I think he's been fantastic. Maybe I just like guys who aren't constantly spouting their opinions about players, since I can arrive at my own conclusions about a player's value.
    I agree 100%. Call the game, add a little bit of color, but let me decide each player's (and management member's) value. I don't need Marty to tell me that Wily Mo Pena is terrible or that Jim Bowden is arrogent. I think Marty is a big part of the reason Reds fans are bashing Homer.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain13 View Post
    I agree 100%. Call the game, add a little bit of color, but let me decide each player's (and management member's) value. I don't need Marty to tell me that Wily Mo Pena is terrible or that Jim Bowden is arrogent. I think Marty is a big part of the reason Reds fans are bashing Homer.
    Hmm, I dont know, if I am watching/listening to a game, I think I can figure out for myself any of that info. I listen to hear what is going on in play if not watching, but am able to make my own conclusions. If I am watching I dont need to hear anyone to be honest, other then to catch up if missed a play or call and need to find out what I missed. Other then that I cant tell you 90% of what any announcer says, I tune them out and just enjoy the game on the field.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain13 View Post
    I also think Marty had a large role to play in the majority of fans' hatred for Adam Dunn. Someone earlier touched on his effect on the hive-mind, and I fully agree with that. As I said, I don't listen to him very much at all, but when I did, all he did was bash Dunn. Even his compliments weren't without their vitriol, with things like "sure, he hit two home runs last night, but let's not forget those two strikeouts as well." Things along that nature; it got under my skin really fast. I have very little doubt that the constant barrage of snide comments toward Dunn went a long way in influencing how the fans eventually came to hate a guy who was a constant 40 HR/100 RBI/100 R/.380 OBP player.
    Last edited by signalhome; 05-09-2011 at 01:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    No, he is hard on those who arent giving it their all. He used to rip Griffey for not running balls out. He ragged Dunn for his lazy play. I dont think this is a spot to try and play the race card, he simply doesnt cuddle lazy play. I find it refreshing to hear the truth instead of being fed Cardinals style homerism.
    I still don't understand why people think Dunn was lazy. Some people have an easy-going style of play; that doesn't make them lazy. I guarantee you that Dunn put in countless hours of work toward his swing every year, including the offseason. You don't get to be as good as Adam Dunn without working hard at it almost every day of your life. He was a horrid defender, sure. So is Jonny Gomes, yet nobody calls him lazy. It looks like Gomes is giving 110% more effort than Dunn every play because Gomes is a faster player than Dunn. Dunn never had any business being an outfielder, as he was far too slow to ever be successful there, and his inability to get to just about any ball hit to left field gave the appearance of him being lazy.

Turn Off Ads?