Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air Conditioning Help

Air Conditioning Help

I understand this will probably be a moot thread, but we turned on our A/C today for the first time, it was 84 degrees in the house. Went out to eat and when we got home, the temp had risen to 86. I thought no big deal, its just gettin the cool air out now, and felt the vent, and it felt cooler than the air in the apartment.

Well just woke up in a pool of sweat and it is now 90 degrees in the apartment, according to the thermostat....does ANYONE know what to do? Can't call the apartment maintenance, because "Air Conditioning is not an emergency". I can't even fall back asleep because it's so hot.
    Let's make some noise!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Air Conditioning Help

Open the windows. Turn on any fans you have. Call maintenance first thing in the morning.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

A wet wash cloth or towel with a fan blowing on it can produce nice cooling effect.

Anyone who doesn't see a lack of AC as an emergency should be kicked in the head
    Go Gators!

It might need coolant (freon?) or if its wireless you might need to change the batteries even if they are still pretty new.

Those were two problems we've had in the past with our AC.

An important note for anyone experiencing AC issues. If it isn't producing cool air turn it off!!!!!!!!!! A small problem can quickly destroy the whole system.

On a side note my wife turned ours on for the first time in 6+ months yesterday, and then left for baseball practice. In caveman times I believe it was ok to bash your wife over the head for such things. If that thing which had not run in 6 months had a problem, the house could have burned down. Treat your AC with care when you start it up in the spring.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Pull off the filter on the air handler and see if it's frozen over.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Back in the day when there were only 3 channels on TV and I had to fight off the dinosaurs on my walk to school (uphill both ways), my folks' house didn't have A/C.

So, I had this oscillating fan that I put on the table next to my bed. I dialed it in to blow from the tips of my toes to the top of my head. Back and forth, back and forth. On hot nights, I'd lay in bed and let the fan blow tepid air on me all night to evaporate the sweat. Learning how to sleep on hot nights was an acquired skill.

Get off my lawn all you young punks.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Anyone who doesn't see a lack of AC as an emergency should be kicked in the head
    This is very true in my case. I have a medical condition where being overheated can cause big, big problems. As in losing my vision and/or spending the next several months unable to walk. So I get pretty testy when my AC isn't working properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Back in the day when there were only 3 channels on TV and I had to fight off the dinosaurs on my walk to school (uphill both ways), my folks' house didn't have A/C.

So, I had this oscillating fan that I put on the table next to my bed. I dialed it in to blow from the tips of my toes to the top of my head. Back and forth, back and forth. On hot nights, I'd lay in bed and let the fan blow tepid air on me all night to evaporate the sweat. Learning how to sleep on hot nights was an acquired skill.

Get off my lawn all you young punks.
    I grew up in those times too. I found if I pulled the shades and turned the fan on just before dark it would cool the room down fairly well.
    Like someone else said,if your AC isn't cooling turn it off. An AC system not working can be destroyed in very short time. Chances are it just needs a freon charge. We have to get ours charged every two years or so. When I notice it not cooling well I turn off and call out AC repairman. For about $150 we get it charged. That's better than pay a few thousand for a new AC unit.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I'm waiting for service on mine today. It doesn't come on, but makes a kind of a buzzing sound. The fan doesn't turn, but it gets power. I turned it on before my son's baseball game Tuesday and when we got home 2 hours later, I found the problem. I hope it is fried as the unit is probably 25 years old and I have a home warranty that expires next month. Hope that goes smooth- my water heater went out about a year ago and they replaced that for nothing more than a $60.00 service fee.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Question: How does the cost of running the AC relate to the furnace in the winter?

I've never had AC in my adult life so I have no idea what it costs.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Question: How does the cost of running the AC relate to the furnace in the winter?

I'm sorry. its like having a wife and never getting to experience sex....oh wait, we all probably know that feeling..lol....but not ever having an AC is like not ever having air to breath, or not ever having water to drink.....when I make a list of most valuable possesions, AC ranks at the near top, if not the top right next to Ice Cold Mountain Dew in a can.

Here in Ohio it is substantially cheaper than running the heat in the winter. For our two bedroom apartment the electric bill in winter tends to run from $200-$400. During the summer it is often less than $100 and never above $200. Spring is even better when we don't run heat or AC; our bill last month was around fifty bucks. I suspect the answer will vary from place to place because local utility rates are extremely variable.

Quote Originally Posted by lidspinner View Post
    I'm sorry. its like having a wife and never getting to experience sex....oh wait, we all probably know that feeling..lol....but not ever having an AC is like not ever having air to breath, or not ever having water to drink.....when I make a list of most valuable possesions, AC ranks at the near top, if not the top right next to Ice Cold Mountain Dew in a can.
    I live in a part of the country where we don't need it.

Ever.

We just open our windows.

It's kinda nice.

I find a get a bill or two in the summer equaling my winter gas bill, but high for a lesser time. My furnace and AC are both ancient, though.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Turn Off Ads?