Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody know a good way to make extra money on the side?

Re: Anybody know a good way to make extra money on the side?

Quote Originally Posted by muddie View Post
    I would strongly encourage you to look at where you could cut your expenditures first. In your judgement, is this income you're seeking for the purpose of "keeping up" or to get ahead? Just curious.
    It's more to get ahead than anything. It's just between gas, rent, loans, and bills, I don't have all that much money to spend for myself. It's really frustrating, and (knock on wood), I'm always one massive car failure away from being pretty broke for a few weeks. So, yeah, it's to get ahead and to have a little money on the side in case of emergencies.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by muddie View Post
    I would strongly encourage you to look at where you could cut your expenditures first. In your judgement, is this income you're seeking for the purpose of "keeping up" or to get ahead? Just curious.
    I'm in much the same position as Ox -- working 9-5, but not really making a ton of money and finding it difficult to have "fun" money after paying for bills, rent, student loans, etc. For me, it's entirely a quality of life thing. I would rather work harder and have the ability to do fun things with my girlfriend, own some nice stuff, and not be constantly worried about money.

Could I save money by cutting out coffee in the morning? Yeah, but I like coffee in the morning. Could I up the bank account by cutting out golf games with my friends? Sure, but I like playing golf. Life's short, and there's no make up at the end for the person who kept putting stuff off for later.

I looked into basketball refereeing earlier in the year, but it seems like no one was really hiring. I'll look into umpiring as well. Ideally, I'd love to make about $100-$150 extra per week, and that sounds like a perfect way to do that.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I'm in much the same position as Ox -- working 9-5, but not really making a ton of money and finding it difficult to have "fun" money after paying for bills, rent, student loans, etc. For me, it's entirely a quality of life thing. I would rather work harder and have the ability to do fun things with my girlfriend, own some nice stuff, and not be constantly worried about money.

Could I save money by cutting out coffee in the morning? Yeah, but I like coffee in the morning. Could I up the bank account by cutting out golf games with my friends? Sure, but I like playing golf. Life's short, and there's no make up at the end for the person who kept putting stuff off for later.

I looked into basketball refereeing earlier in the year, but it seems like no one was really hiring. I'll look into umpiring as well. Ideally, I'd love to make about $100-$150 extra per week, and that sounds like a perfect way to do that.
    You'll probably have to get certified. If you know anyone who plays in the Youth leagues that would probably be your best chance at contacting who you need to for any sort of registration.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Oxilon View Post
    It's more to get ahead than anything. It's just between gas, rent, loans, and bills, I don't have all that much money to spend for myself. It's really frustrating, and (knock on wood), I'm always one massive car failure away from being pretty broke for a few weeks. So, yeah, it's to get ahead and to have a little money on the side in case of emergencies.
    I had a friend who looked to pick up a part time job because her expenses were growing. She applied at coffee shops and other novelty shops that she could work nights or weekends. After a month or so of search she decided it wasn't worth it.

I understand the feeling. Its almost like you never feel like you are getting ahead. The only issue is the opportunity cost of a second job. The money sure will be nice, but the time you have to give up may be more costly. And you also have to figure that you won't be making as much as you would hope. I liked the idea of cutting cost and seeing where that will lead you to. I think if your able to do that and get things in order after a while you may not need to work a second job, or you may find out that you do need it. To be honest getting off work at 5 and having nothing to do is much better than getting off at 5 and having a second job to go to.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I, I'd love to make about $100-$150 extra per week, and that sounds like a perfect way to do that.
    I work about 7 games a week and bring home about $420 extra a week. Minus gas, uniform and other expenses. During the summer you can work alot more games and make alot more than that.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Lots of wisdom in the thread. Look for ways to cut spending. Always.

I also know that baby/child sitting can be big money. That can be a Fri or Sat night. Or it can be helping to shuttle a kid between school / sports / lessons if one parent is out of town during the week. It can be taking a day off work to watch a kid during the limbo of school being out but no summer camps being in session yet. It can be taking a kid to a matinee movie on a Saturday in December while parents do holiday shopping.

If you are responsible and have reliable transportation, there are plenty of working parents who would pay you well to help a few hours a week or one afternoon / evening per month.

I need my sleep, but I've got a friend who doesn't and he does 2-3 night shifts at Home Depot doing stocking.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Well my wife just had our second son on Sunday and which means she is now on maternity leave. A week before she had the baby I started delivering pizzas 2 nights a week. It's so freakin' easy. I work 4 hour shifts and make $60+ a night just in tips. I also umpire a couple baseball games on Saturdays.

it's an easy way to bridge the gap until she's back to working (if she does go back) without having to dip into savings.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

I worked at Walgreen's as a photo tech at night while also teaching in my younger days. It gave me enough money to pay for my school loans, so I wouldn't have to
    1) pay for my school loans anymore, and,
    2) work two jobs to save money.

It worked out for about a year and a half.

The downside was absolutely no downtime (unless you count sleeping) and no life beyond the store and the school.

I can't imagine doing that with a wife, kids, or even a girlfriend.

I always thought after graduating from college and getting a full-time job, money wouldn't be that big of an issue as a single, young professional. Well, that blew back in my face. Car loans, car insurance, student loans, rent, utilities, gas, cell phones....all that crap adds up. So...does anybody know of a good way to make some extra money on the side? Obviously I'm working M-F, so Saturday and Sunday are pretty much my only options.
    By far your best avenue is to cut expenses. Successful wealth building occurs based on what you keep, not what you make.

You could grab a second job and be able to save a little bit of money off those earnings, but what's likely to happen is you'll just spend even more than you're already spending. Subsequently, it's likely that any type of second job may be temporary (most people don't work two jobs for decades) and then you'll be absolutely forced to cut expenses when the second job goes. It's better to just to align your spending habits now with your current gross income. This sets up a pattern of wealth building that you can implement for the totality of your working career.

Try a little exercise: outline your total average monthly expenses down the line. Include all bills, food, gas, discretionary spending, etc. Sure some months you'll spend more on entertainment than other months, but put down a reasonable monthly average. Then start identifying things that you could realistically cut out/reduce the cost. Some things you probably absolutely do not want to live without. Other things may be easy to slice off, though, and you'll probably surprise yourself. For example, I reduced my monthly energy bill by 30 percent simply by switching energy suppliers. All it took was one 20 minute phone call.

In a nutshell, save 20 percent of your gross income in retirement investment accounts, maintain a separate emergency savings fund (6 months or so), then live off what's left. If you're simultaneously trying to save for a large purchase (house downpayment, car, appliances, whatever), then ideally that needs to come out of the "what's left" category, not one of the other two categories.

If you do that, then you'll likely be able to tell the workforce to go shove it by the time you're in your mid 50s, if not sooner.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

2 Words!

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

The glass is 1/3 full....

Mystery shopping. No pesky credit/job history checks, and they email you new assignments every day.

And, yes...it is free to sign up, and it is NOT a scam. Try Intelli-shop.com, for starters!
    Last edited by CrimsonCrusader; 05-12-2011 at 05:10 PM.
    The Crimson Crusader....knows...!
    ...heh heh heh heh...

"Why does everybody stand up and sing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame"
    ...when they're already there?"

The glass is 1/3 full....

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    2 Words!

...you, know...in low light, maybe she's not too bad...LOL....
    The Crimson Crusader....knows...!
    ...heh heh heh heh...

"Why does everybody stand up and sing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame"
    ...when they're already there?"

Perhaps. I was a soccer referee years ago (it was actually my first job). Pay was decent but I hated dealing with the parents. They were so brutal. Not sure if my opinion on that matter would have changed by now or not.
    Try taking this umpire's lead.

YouTube - umpire's revenge
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Turn Off Ads?