Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you make this deal?

Would you make this deal?

Mets call and state that they will trade us David Wright for A. Chapman straight up.

Do you make that deal?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Would you make this deal?

In a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    Mets call and state that they will trade us David Wright for A. Chapman straight up.

Do you make that deal?
    Without hesitation. One is already an absolute star, the other may not ever reach his full potential due to control issues. I love Chapman, but I don't even have to stop and think before I say yes to that deal.

Quote Originally Posted by signalhome View Post
    Without hesitation. One is already an absolute star, the other may not ever reach his full potential due to control issues. I love Chapman, but I don't even have to stop and think before I say yes to that deal.
    The real question is: would the Mets make it? And I think the answer, with Wright under contract for a few more years and saying positive things about staying in New York, is a resounding "no". You'd have to offer a little more.

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf371 View Post
    The real question is: would the Mets make it? And I think the answer, with Wright under contract for a few more years and saying positive things about staying in New York, is a resounding "no". You'd have to offer a little more.
    I highly doubt it. I would think it would take Chapman plus another elite prospect, at the least. Not only is he locked up for three more years, but his salary over those three years is very reasonable, at something like $45 million. Getting him would not be cheap.
    Last edited by signalhome; 05-09-2011 at 06:16 PM.

no

You would only have him for 2.5 years. We have Chapman for 4.5 more years

plus he makes
    14m 2011
    15m 2012
    16m 2013 (if the club option is picked up)

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    no

You would only have him for 2.5 years. We have Chapman for 4.5 more years

plus he makes
    14m 2011
    15m 2012
    16m 2013 (if the club option is picked up)
    He would provide a huge middle-of-the-order-bat and protection for Votto. In the past he's been a good defender, although the sabermetric stats have really dropped off lately. Still, he's been a 4-6 WAR player over the course of his career, worth about $20-$30 million dollars on the free market. That's worth a high-upside bullpen/potential-starter with questionable control.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Depends on what your outlook is on this team. If you think the window of opportunity is this season and the next 2, you probably do it. If you think this is part of a long-term building plan, you gotta roll with pitching, pitching, pitching. Can never have enough.

But I'd love to see what Wright's power numbers would look like playing half his games in GABP.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

no way in hell would the mets ever do this...so no point in arguing about it

I don't know how strongly the mets feel about Wright. But I will say this, a lot of times I think, as every fan does, that we tend to over-value our prospects. When you look at the Baseball America Top 100 prospects:
    # 7 is Chapman
    # 50 is Billy Hamilton
    #64 is Mesoraco
    #73 is Alonso
    (Sappelt was not ranked at the beginning of the year)

Comparitively, the Royals, who have the most talented minor league stars, have 3 players in the top 10, 2 more in the top 20, and 4 more in the top 100.

The Reds have a very deep minor league system with a lot of talent, but Chapman is their only true star. I would do the deal for both sides.

im guessing it depends are we trading a starter or a closer

Quote Originally Posted by mu4103 View Post
    I don't know how strongly the mets feel about Wright. But I will say this, a lot of times I think, as every fan does, that we tend to over-value our prospects. When you look at the Baseball America Top 100 prospects:
    # 7 is Chapman
    # 50 is Billy Hamilton
    #64 is Mesoraco
    #73 is Alonso
    (Sappelt was not ranked at the beginning of the year)

Comparitively, the Royals, who have the most talented minor league stars, have 3 players in the top 10, 2 more in the top 20, and 4 more in the top 100.

The Reds have a very deep minor league system with a lot of talent, but Chapman is their only true star. I would do the deal for both sides.
    I've seen some Mets fans say they would find another team if the Mets dealt away Wright. He's quite loved out there.

chapman has proven nothing he can barely throw strikes

I would do it. I think Wright would fit in with the rest of the Reds. Plays hard, good D and he would work well as our number 4 hitter.

Recovering Cubs Fan

Heck yes I do that. If I were a Mets fan, I'd want like Stubbs too though.

Edited to add that the only way it's even remotely possible is if Rolen suddenly retired; if that happened, all bets are off and I can't think of anyone I'd rather see them go after.
    Last edited by Natty Redlocks; 05-10-2011 at 03:23 PM.
    FIRE DUSTY Never mind. The man is clearly a genius.

Turn Off Ads?