Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Board Games

Favorite Board Games

A group of friends and I try to get together somewhat regularly (3-4 times a year) to play board games. Some of our favorites include:

Settlers of Cataan - http://www.catan.com/

Ticket to Ride - http://www.daysofwonder.com/tickettoride/en/

Citadels - http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/478/citadels

Carcassonne - http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/822/carcassonne

Anyone else like to play these types of games? I was also curious if anyone in the Central Ohio area had ever been to CABS. http://www.buckeyeboardgamers.org/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Favorite Board Games

None of those are my current cup of tea, but, for an English teacher (or anyone with a literary bent), Bananagrams is fun. So, too, is Scrabble (naturally). Another good one is Lieography, wheree the players have to come up with the first lines from different novels (or at least lines that sound like the first lines of novels).

Any trivia game is fun, too, IMO.

I enjoy Pandemic and Puerto Rico. I get together with friends about once a month and play games like this, it's a good time. I think a lot of people think board games = Monopoly and the like, but there's a lot out there that goes a little deeper.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

My faves right now are game I can play with my kids:

Stratego- original. The new one is full of dragons and lairs and fantasy stuff. Just give me cannons, cavalry and funny hats.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Axis and Allies, I never get tired of that classic!

Dune is fun as well, especially if you have 6 players.

If you like the movie Red Dawn play Fortress America.

Puerto Rico and Axis and Allies are two games that I know my friend has in his pretty extensive collection. I've yet to play either so maybe we'll have to give them a shot next time.

We used to always play Trivial Pursuit, but haven't played it in a while. I love trivia, but the games that require a lot of strategy have become my favorites in the last couple of years.

I'm sure i would love all of these games. Unfortunately with a new baby and almost no friends in my new town, I have little ability to play them.

I'm a big fan of those games. I used to play Settlers all the time and I actually just bought Carcassonne a week ago. It is frustrating though because it's hard to find other people willing to play these types of games. Most people think they're too complicated or that the games take too long.
    My name is Cheesy Beef Burrito

Battle Cry. http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/551/battle-cry I love civil war stuff, and battle cry is an AWESOME strategy game. It's awesome.
    Let's make some noise!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Trivial Pursuit, Scrabble, Boggle (does that count as a board game?) and Chess.

Risk and Chess are always fun.

Quote Originally Posted by yab1112 View Post
    I'm a big fan of those games. I used to play Settlers all the time and I actually just bought Carcassonne a week ago. It is frustrating though because it's hard to find other people willing to play these types of games. Most people think they're too complicated or that the games take too long.
    I'm truly awful at Carcassonne thus far. But it is still a lot of fun. With all of these games I go through a cycle where at first ignorance is bliss and I do halfway decent, then I pick up just enough strategy to royally screw myself up.

My wife has a very short attention span, yet she'll even play these types of games if she is around when we play. It's a shame people won't give them a try.

I love Carcassone and Settlers. If any of you own an XBOX 360 and like these board games but can't find anyone to play, there are good XBOX Live arcade versions available. I've been able to play with the friend who introduced me to them even though he has been living in Eastern Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    I love Carcassone and Settlers. If any of you own an XBOX 360 and like these board games but can't find anyone to play, there are good XBOX Live arcade versions available. I've been able to play with the friend who introduced me to them even though he has been living in Eastern Europe.
    I don't but I might have to get one now
    My name is Cheesy Beef Burrito

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

We've been playing "Apples to Apples".
    Not really a "board" game, since it's played with cards.
    It's better after a few beers.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Turn Off Ads?