Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Brent Clevlen signed

Brent Clevlen signed

Brent Clevlen has been assigned to the Louisville Bats. Guessing Barton will be DLed to make room. He is an outfielder with some recent major league playing time.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    -The Insider-

Re: Brent Clevlen signed

Former Tiger. He has some time.

Reds sign (former?) prospect Brent Clevlen

The Reds have signed Brent Clevlen, who is starting in center field for the Louisville Bats tonight. He was the #98 prospect in all of baseball just before the 2004 season. http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...levlbr01.shtml

Career: 3 HR, .234 BA, 7 RBI, OF, Tigers/Braves 2006-2010, b:R/t:R, born in TX 1983

Cant hurt, I s'pose.

Ill take it. Worth a shot.

-Matt

I wonder if this might be a precursor that Gomes' days are numbered, and an Alonso call up for LF is in the near future.

Maybe other teams do this also--I wouldn't know, since I don't closely follow other organizations--but it seems that the Reds are being fairly active in signing washed-out (if you could call it that) former high draft picks. Clevlen is the latest. This year alone, the list also includes Kyle McCullough (first round, White Sox, 06), James Adkins (first round, Dodgers, 07), and Eric Campbell (second round, Braves, 04). If you consider the fifth round to be high, there's also Quintin Berry (Phillies, 06). Last year, the leading example was Mike Costanzo (second round, Phillies, 05). Of course, I could be missing a player or two.

Can't argue with the strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    Maybe other teams do this also--I wouldn't know, since I don't closely follow other organizations--but it seems that the Reds are being fairly active in signing washed-out (if you could call it that) former high draft picks. Clevlen is the latest. This year alone, the list also includes Kyle McCullough (first round, White Sox, 06), James Adkins (first round, Dodgers, 07), and Eric Campbell (second round, Braves, 04). If you consider the fifth round to be high, there's also Quintin Berry (Phillies, 06). Last year, the leading example was Mike Costanzo (second round, Phillies, 05). Of course, I could be missing a player or two.

Jim Bowden made a living off that. Jeffrey Hammonds, Michael Tucker, Ron Villone, Dan Serafini, Mike Kelly, Dave McCarty, Joey Hamilton, Shawn Estes, Eduardo Perez, Todd Van Poppell, Adam Hyzdu, Aaron Holbert, Gabe White, Tom Nevers, Ben VanRyn, Brooks Kieschnick, Mike Bell, Paul Wilson, Scott Elarton, Jacob Cruz, Reggie Taylor, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Jim Bowden made a living off that. Jeffrey Hammonds, Michael Tucker, Ron Villone, Dan Serafini, Mike Kelly, Dave McCarty, Joey Hamilton, Shawn Estes, Eduardo Perez, Todd Van Poppell, Adam Hyzdu, Aaron Holbert, Gabe White, Tom Nevers, Ben VanRyn, Brooks Kieschnick, Mike Bell, Paul Wilson, Scott Elarton, Jacob Cruz, Reggie Taylor, etc.
    Except those guys were mostly at the major-league level. To a large extent, the guys they're signing now are flamed-out (or flaming-out) prospects.

Except those guys were mostly at the major-league level. To a large extent, the guys they're signing now are flamed-out (or flaming-out) prospects.
    I could keep going. I listed some of the biggest success stories, but there are tons and tons of failures. Remember Brad Pennington? He was once the #18 prospect in baseball, but now he's known as the wildest pitcher in the history of MLB.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

I would be shocked if Clevlen was one of the next three or four callups from Louisville. He's going to have to mash to earn a shot in this crowded field.

Don't forget about Hermida.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I could keep going. I listed some of the biggest success stories, but there are tons and tons of failures. Remember Brad Pennington? He was once the #18 prospect in baseball, but now he's known as the wildest pitcher in the history of MLB.
    Pennington wilder than The Cuban cluster bomb was yesterday?

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    Pennington wilder than The Cuban cluster bomb was yesterday?
    Yes. At least Chapman's pitches were mostly catchable. Pennington looked like Charlie Sheen. Not Rick 'Wild Thing' Vaughn. Charlie Sheen on one of his 'episodes' . . .

Turn Off Ads?