Turn Off Ads?
Page 63 of 66 FirstFirst ... 13535960616263646566 LastLast

Thread: 2011 OSU Football-Will Tressel Survive?

Re: 2011 OSU Football-Will Tressel Survive?

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Exactly. The trip up wasn't because of some picky rule. Tressel knew what he had to do and did not do it. He effectively chose which rules he would and would not follow. Rationalization 101.
    No one is arguing or rationalizing that. This conversation is not about Jim Tressel. It was about "picky" NCAA rules. I think it has basically run its course. Lets hope the offense has been hiding in Lincoln, Nebraska all season and shows up tomorrow night.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Exactly. The trip up wasn't because of some picky rule. Tressel knew what he had to do and did not do it. He effectively chose which rules he would and would not follow. Rationalization 101.
    But the original point was that "selling one's own property as a violiation is a picky rule," which is arguably picky. You seemed to have missed that part of the discussion. And your point is completely missing the original point from what I see.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

And to further proove my point Devier Posey has now been suspended another 5 games. Makes me sick. He could have driven drunk or held up a liquor store and not been suspended for 10 games. Can't wait to hear someone justify this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    The thing is this has nothing to do with the SEC. Even if a football never found its way south of the Mason Dixon Line, it still wouldn't matter if Tressel lied due to a stupid rule or a good one. It's got nothing to do with how many championships the Big Ten has won or whether OSU is better than UT or who has the better academics. Those trying to make it an SEC vs Big Ten thing are frustrated souls.
    Dude, you make everything about the SEC vs the Big Ten..... EVERYTHING!!! So I guess that makes you a frustrated soul. I was simply pointing out that there is a cultural difference in the fanbases of the conferences that transcends sports. I read your stuff here and you seem to think that everyone wants to be like SEC fans, and I was pointing out you're sorely mistaken.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    And to further proove my point Devier Posey has now been suspended another 5 games. Makes me sick. He could have driven drunk or held up a liquor store and not been suspended for 10 games. Can't wait to hear someone justify this.
    Well, he was paid for work he didn't do. That is the oldest improper benefits laundering scheme there is. I still think OSU ought to tell him and Herron that they are kicked off the team.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Dude, you make everything about the SEC vs the Big Ten..... EVERYTHING!!! So I guess that makes you a frustrated soul. I was simply pointing out that there is a cultural difference in the fanbases of the conferences that transcends sports. I read your stuff here and you seem to think that everyone wants to be like SEC fans, and I was pointing out you're sorely mistaken.
    Absolutely not. I made a comparison here to Tennessee because that's a school I went to. Perhaps you'd prefer I used USC but I have no connection there, thus it wouldn't apply. The attempt to make it an SEC vs Big Ten thing was something done by OSU defenders and I went on record as saying that was not a proper analogy. This has nothing to do with the SEC as a conference

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    It's best not to break rules in the first place lest you take the risk that the penalty might be harsh. I'm sure Posey's prior history of violating NCAA rules was also a factor in this

Absolutely not. I made a comparison here to Tennessee because that's a school I went to. Perhaps you'd prefer I used USC but I have no connection there, thus it wouldn't apply. The attempt to make it an SEC vs Big Ten thing was something done by OSU defenders and I went on record as saying that was not a proper analogy. This has nothing to do with the SEC as a conference
    You keep believing that if it need to.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

You keep believing that if it need to.
    I understand you've got your head dug into the sand so deep on the SEC that I probably can't dig you out but seeing as how this isn't just you and me talking, here's how the SEC joined this conversation:

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    You are probably the biggest homer on this board, only for a conference and not a team. Probably because Tennessee has been mediocre since '98. I really don't think you have room to talk.

I've been trying keep the SEC out of this ever since

((shrug))

I understand you've got your head dug into the sand so deep on the SEC that I probably can't dig you out but seeing as how this isn't just you and me talking, here's how the SEC joined this conversation:

I've been trying keep the SEC out of this ever since

((shrug))
    Point was obviously that you of all people shouldn't be calling anyone a homer, had nothing to do with Big 10 vs SEC.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Yeah, I was WAY off-base with my comments about SEC fans in that other thread. WAYYYY off.

One of the other differences is the quality of education you get at Big Ten schools, which is one of the main reasons the football cultures are so different in general. the fanbases are just different, and I know which I'd rather be associated with.
    To be fair, he's one fan. One voice that does not speak for the majority of SEC fans.

I know many like him in the SEC ranks. Then again, there are a ton that are also B10 and tOSU homers.

Don't let one "fan" skew you.

As to education, you get what you want out of school. If you want to party, you can find that at any school. You want athletics? Can be found anywhere. Academics? You can find ways to expand your mind at any insititution. No matter their reputation.

Those reputations are largely ridiculous anyway.

I think the Posey suspension is BS.

But the big blame falls on Gene Smith. Once the NCAA investigators are crawling all over you campus turning over every rock, the onus falls on the head of the department to tell everyone to be scrupulously and squeaky clean because you *know* they'll jump on the slightest thing. That message goes from the top through the coaches and to the players.

You can rail against the rules and holler its not fair, but you *have* to take care of the business at hand once the NCAA is in your kimono. To let further transgressions happen, big or small, is plain stupid and people ought to get fired for it.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Someone forgot to tell the Buckeyes they suck....they're up 27-6 in the third quarter against Nebraska tonight, LOL
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

And then Braxton gets banged up, leaves the game, and now its 27-20 as Nebraska starts coming back. That's the way things are going for the Bucks this year. *sigh*
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Joe Bauserman will become the first college quarterback to retire due to old age.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Turn Off Ads?