Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 66 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 OSU Football-Will Tressel Survive?

Re: 2011 OSU Football-Will Tressel Survive?

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    No shock. Tressel takes the fall, and they hope the program doesn't get hit. THE OSU probably should have been tagged for lack of instutional control, and still may in the end.
    My take on this as well. But then again, I'm a bit cynical when it comes to happenings in Columbus.
    Last edited by paintmered; 05-30-2011 at 09:38 AM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    My take on this as well. But then again, I'm a bit cynical when it comes to happenings in Columbus.
    You are either naive or just plain ignorant on what really happens on EVERY big time campus.

Ohio State just got put under the microscope.

I knew plenty of players at UC and that small time program had a ton of shady things happening under Rick Minter. It happens everywhere.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

If Urban Meyer decides to become the coach at tOSU, will Buckeye fans forgive him his past indiscretions, or will he always be an evil SEC coach who cheats and looks the other way?

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    You are either naive or just plain ignorant on what really happens on EVERY big time campus.

I knew plenty of players at UC and that small time program had a ton of shady things happening under Rick Minter. It happens everywhere.
    Interesting, Cedric. That wasn't your position a few months ago. I agree with it, BTW. It's impossible to keep a program as big as a Division I football team clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post

This doesn't surprise me, re: Minter. However, I can't help but think that if a UC football player during those days went to a car dealership looking for a heavily discounted car, the response would have been, "Who are you, again?" My guess is that the players weren't receiving improper benefits as much as they were doing all sorts of academic shenanigans.

It wasn't uncommon to see an Escalade rolling around campus during the Huggins era. But I don't know for sure they belonged to basketball players. Wouldn't have surprised me if they did.
    Last edited by paintmered; 05-30-2011 at 09:50 AM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I feel sorry for Luke Fickel. He has one season to earn the job and he has to play 5 games without the #1 QB and some other starters.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    I feel sorry for Luke Fickel. He has one season to earn the job and he has to play 5 games without the #1 QB and some other starters.
    And will probably be facing a reduction of scholarships and a post-season bowl ban.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    And will probably be facing a reduction of scholarships and a post-season bowl ban.
    Knowing the NCAA, that will probably happen after the fact. I don't see Ohio State making a major bowl this year anyways. There is too much turmoil and a lame duck captain.

I can't see lack of institutional control just because its just one sport. If basketball was having problems, I could see it.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

This kind of makes one wonder just what has been uncovered and what the AD is worried might be uncovered if the bleeding doesn't get cauterized.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    This kind of makes one wonder just what has been uncovered and what the AD is worried might be uncovered if the bleeding doesn't get cauterized.
    I wonder if this has something to do with it:

Quote Originally Posted by SeeinRed View Post
    Well, I just heard about this today on twitter, but it appears there are rumors all over the internet about an article that could be released Tuesday (5/31) in SI about OSU. This article is rumored to have "new" information on Jim Tressel that goes back quite a while. The article is rumored to be written by award winning journalist George Dohrmann who has been credited with bringing down the University of Minnesota basketball program with his investigative reporting in 1999.

Reportedly, Dohrmann has been digging around in Columbus recently. These rumors have kind of been on again and off again. They range from being about Jim Tressel to pay for play allegations, though they mostly center around Tressel. The only thing known with some certainty is that Dohrmann was in Columbus for an extended amount of time. Sounds like the rumor was first reported by a radio station in Columbus. The host seemingly knew a person with knowledge of Dohrmann's investigation. I don't know anything about the radio hosts, so I don't know how much to believe about this. If this is in fact true, things are about to get really interesting in Buckeye Country.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Bet we find out soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Bet we find out soon.
    I'd really rather not know.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

We've had a thousand or so posts on this and for all this time the OSU homers around here (you know who you are) have contended that OSU will not suffer any further penalties other than what they'd already self imposed.

It's great to be a homer and all--I know about this stuff with UT-Knoxville-- but it's important not to let your loyalty to your program get in the way of reality.

OSU has already suffered greatly in losing a wonderful coach and that means really bad things have been uncovered. I hope the OSU fans around here at least accept a fact they didn't a few months ago:

That OSU is in big, big trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    If Urban Meyer decides to become the coach at tOSU, will Buckeye fans forgive him his past indiscretions, or will he always be an evil SEC coach who cheats and looks the other way?
    The real question is, does anybody think Urban Meyer would take the job?

I'd really rather not know.
    Now that it has leaked out that he was encouraged to resign, Tressel fans are going to want a scapegoat and the 5 suspended players won't want to be that scapegoat. Before Twitter and the advent of sports blog journalism, we probably wouldn't ever find out. Local journalists might find out, but keep it to themselves. I don't know that that was better. It was better for building and preserving an image. I'd like to know because I'm wondering if Gene Smith and Gordon Gee are culpable.

Turn Off Ads?