Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 66 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 OSU Football-Will Tressel Survive?

Re: 2011 OSU Football-Will Tressel Survive?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Oh please, you've been dragging yours all over this thread.
    Yeah but I'm contributing something to the conversation. You joined in progress with nothing to add. The extent of your addition was that you imagine things would be different if it were Michigan. That wasn't very extensive analysis in how it pertains to OSU or Tressel.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    I'm treating things at face value that it wasn't the case, but I can tell you that OSU is reportedly in the middle of cleaning house in compliance and there'd be no reason to do that if they'd acted swiftly with the revelations of all this. So it makes one reasonably take notice.
    I would certainly hope so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by SeeinRed View Post
    Wow. No offense, but there are some very long odds against this happening. Very, Very long odds. Its tough for any program to recover from losing thier coach at this point in the process. Let alone any sanctions that are hovering over their head. I wouldn't bet against this in 3 years, but next year is a completely different story.
    Why is it that I can't find any major publication that's not predicting OSU to win the Big 10 if the odds are so very long?

Yeah but I'm contributing something to the conversation. You joined in progress with nothing to add. The extent of your addition was that you imagine things would be different if it were Michigan. That wasn't very extensive analysis in how it pertains to OSU or Tressel.
    You're right, my comment was on the FANS who are in denial.

As for the situation, it's pretty clear they are in a bad situation because of lies.

Some can't seem to come to that conclusion.

But then again I was unaware that you spoke for all OSU fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    ESPN is reporting that they are looking into issues involving as many as 40 players. I agree with you, if only 5 are involved OSU will be OK. I think you're naive to think it's limited to 5
    Have you seen anything indicating that the NCAA is looking into this matter beyond the 5 players we're talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    You're right, my comment was on the FANS who are in denial.

As for the situation, it's pretty clear they are in a bad situation because of lies.

Some can't seem to come to that conclusion.

But then again I was unaware that you spoke for all OSU fans.
    I thought the thread was about Tressel and OSU football. When did it become judging OSU fans in denial? And I don't speak for OSU fans. I'm speaking for me.

If you've got so much conviction about why they're in denial, why don't you bother to spend some time explaining yourself? It's certainly easy to pull the trigger of a gun that's being loaded and aimed for you.

Hit-and-run one liners, especially meant to simply deride others' opinions, are the death of good discussion. You're always talking about how this forum has degraded of quality discussions, right? So why not help elevate it?
    Last edited by Brutus; 05-31-2011 at 02:42 PM.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Just another lesson about life. Be upfront and honest about things and usually it will all work out.

Some would say greed and having a big ego are all part of being a great leader/coach. He thought he could micromanage this situation like he did everything else. It destroyed Coach Tressel.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

I thought the thread was about Tressel and OSU football. When did it become judging OSU fans in denial? And I don't speak for OSU fans. I'm speaking for me.

If you've got so much conviction about why they're in denial, why don't you bother to spend some time explaining yourself? It's certainly easy to pull the trigger of a gun that's being loaded and aimed for you.

Hit-and-run one liners, especially meant to simply deride others' opinions, are the death of good discussion. You're always talking about how this forum has degraded of quality discussions, right? So why not help elevate it?
    Not everyone has to write a dissertation to get their point across.

Mine's pretty clear, you don't care for it, thats understood. Now go brow beat someone else.

How's that for quality?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    Have you seen anything indicating that the NCAA is looking into this matter beyond the 5 players we're talking about?
    Funny you should bring this up:

The newspaper cited unnamed sources who said this is the most significant inquiry of Pryor. The NCAA and Ohio State are also probing more than 50 car purchases by Buckeyes players, their families and friends.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6608432

It's not clear specifically what caused the sudden departure, but pressure had been building in recent weeks. The Columbus Dispatch reported earlier this month that Doug Archie, head of compliance at Ohio State, is investigating at least 50 car sales to athletes and their relatives at two dealerships. Last week, former Tressel player Ray Small (FSY) told the school newspaper "everybody" on the football team broke NCAA rules and that he sold Big Ten championship rings.

On Friday, Rife was charged with money laundering and drug trafficking.

Late Monday, Sports Illustrated posted a story on its website saying the memorabilia-for-tattoos violations began as early as 2002, Tressel's second season, and involved at least 28 players. Those numbers include, beyond six players already suspended, an additional nine current players as well as nine former players whose alleged wrongdoing might fall within the NCAA four-year statute of limitations on violations.

One former Buckeye, defensive end Robert Rose, whose career ended in 2009, told SI that he had swapped memorabilia for tattoos and that "at least 20 others" on the team had done so as well.
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colle...-tressel_N.htm

What makes you think out of all those players they won't uncover another violation? What makes you think the investigation will be complete and the NCAA will be ready to rule in August? I think you are being very overly optimistic

My reaction yesterday was indifference. My thoughts today are disgust at what college football/basketball has become. Story after story, even the OSU basketball program transgressions under O'Brien wasn't as big a kick in the gut as finding out that my school is full of corruption.

Guess the Tressel resignation was closure for me and now I am processing, and quite frankly, it must have had to hit home in a big way to pierce the darkness. Just like WOY quoted elsewhere, it is very sad for a school that forfeited a Rose Bowl trip for a principle is now just playing along like everyone else, and one who claimed to be principled was sucked right into the money making machine.

Sad, sad, sad.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    Why is it that I can't find any major publication that's not predicting OSU to win the Big 10 if the odds are so very long?
    Maybe because Tressel was still coach when those were released. Probably because no ruling has been made agains OSU. Most likely because early preseason ranking mean very little. You can pretty much take it to the bank that OSU will not be ranked as highly as they were in the very early preseason rankings.

If the rumors that TP has played his last game as a Buckeye are true, OSU isn't winning the Big 10 this year.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    If the rumors that TP has played his last game as a Buckeye are true, OSU isn't winning the Big 10 this year.
    I hope Pryor has played his last game at OSU. He will in fact be the first and only Buckeye that I will openly boo every time he steps on the field. IMO OSU will be in a much better place if the Tattoo 5 never return to the program.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    My reaction yesterday was indifference. My thoughts today are disgust at what college football/basketball has become. Story after story, even the OSU basketball program transgressions under O'Brien wasn't as big a kick in the gut as finding out that my school is full of corruption.

Guess the Tressel resignation was closure for me and now I am processing, and quite frankly, it must have had to hit home in a big way to pierce the darkness. Just like WOY quoted elsewhere, it is very sad for a school that forfeited a Rose Bowl trip for a principle is now just playing along like everyone else, and one who claimed to be principled was sucked right into the money making machine.

Sad, sad, sad.
    Woody had special boosters that would buy players. The charade of cfb being amateur was gone before I was even born.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I hope Pryor has played his last game at OSU. He will in fact be the first and only Buckeye that I will openly boo every time he steps on the field. IMO OSU will be in a much better place if the Tattoo 5 never return to the program.
    Pryor and the tat 5 are no different than tons of others at TOSU and other schools. They shouldn't be viewed differently just because they got caught in a totally random drug investigation. MANY before them were just as culpable.

Turn Off Ads?