Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 66 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 OSU Football-Will Tressel Survive?

Re: 2011 OSU Football-Will Tressel Survive?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Not everyone has to write a dissertation to get their point across.

Mine's pretty clear, you don't care for it, thats understood. Now go brow beat someone else.

How's that for quality?
    Dissertation? You haven't even given a quality thesis statement. You can jump in on threads and talk about how there's no quality discussion. So I can give my rebuttal that it's a given-and-take relationship. Snide snappy one liners certainly aren't advancing anything but ego. It takes only an average 10-year old to say someone's being a homer. That's not discussion that's junior high cafeteria talk.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Woody had special boosters that would buy players. The charade of cfb being amateur was gone before I was even born.
    This is true, however the level of success has been changed from winning the Big Ten to winning the National Championship. That is the difference, it creates bigger cover-ups and larger infractions and thus longer and more severe penalties.

Woody had special boosters that would buy players. The charade of cfb being amateur was gone before I was even born.
    Jason Whitlock had an article with this same basic premise today.

Are coaches really supposed to interrupt the moneymaking machine by monitoring how their players are paying for tattoos, weed and cars? If coaches took the time to hunt down what their players were really doing away from the field or court, the coaches would never have time to coach, feed the media hype machines and make sure players occasionally attend classes.
    Tressel Product of Flawed System
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

You're right, my comment was on the FANS who are in denial.

As for the situation, it's pretty clear they are in a bad situation because of lies.

Some can't seem to come to that conclusion.

But then again I was unaware that you spoke for all OSU fans.
    What is it that many of us OSU fans are in denial about?

I think most of us realize that this is a bad situation but we also know that the program isn't going to fold up shop anytime soon.I understand how someone that just read this new SI article to get caught up on all that's been going on at Ohio State would be inclined to believe that the Bucks are about to be given the death penalty.I'm just pointing out that that's not even close to the case.Trust me, it's not.There will be football in Columbus this fall and it will feature a top 25 team loaded with 5 star recruits.It will be fun and all of this will be over.

This is true, however the level of success has been changed from winning the Big Ten to winning the National Championship. That is the difference, it creates bigger cover-ups and larger infractions and thus longer and more severe penalties.
    How is guys getting tattoos being covered up bigger then booster paying player to come play for money being covered up?

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Jason Whitlock had an article with this same basic premise today.

Tressel Product of Flawed System
    I apologize for not knowing where I heard this but amongst all this OSU talk today, someone said that OSU's compliance dept had to know the details of any new car bought by the players. They supposedly were allowed to pry into the finances of how it went down. I'd say in this day and age that's a necessary step

jredmo2

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    How is guys getting tattoos being covered up bigger then booster paying player to come play for money being covered up?
    Given the newest spotlight on Pryor, and OSU citing student privacy to not provide detail on his relationship with his mentor, we may have the latter before it's all said and done.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I apologize for not knowing where I heard this but amongst all this OSU talk today, someone said that OSU's compliance dept had to know the details of any new car bought by the players. They supposedly were allowed to pry into the finances of how it went down. I'd say in this day and age that's a necessary step
    http://www.dispatch.com/live/content...car-deals.html

This explains.

I think most of us realize that this is a bad situation but we also know that the program isn't going to fold up shop anytime soon.I understand how someone that just read this new SI article to get caught up on all that's been going on at Ohio State would be inclined to believe that the Bucks are about to be given the death penalty.I'm just pointing out that that's not even close to the case.Trust me, it's not.There will be football in Columbus this fall and it will feature a top 25 team loaded with 5 star recruits.It will be fun and all of this will be over.
    I love OSU football as much as the next Buckeye, but I don't think all this is going away any time soon.

I'd say for the balance of the 2011 season, 1/2 the coverage is going to be about players on the field and 1/2 is going to be NCAA investigations, allegations, and other sordid flotsam and jetsam. Before all this broke loose late last season, Tressel was about as gold standard as they came for college coaches. For something to bring him down, it has to be huge.

I hate to say it, but fun isn't in the cards. This is going to go on for quite a while. As my dad used to say about my mom, "once she gets a bone in her mouth, she has to chew on it a while before she lets go".
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Just another lesson about life. Be upfront and honest about things and usually it will all work out.

Some would say greed and having a big ego are all part of being a great leader/coach. He thought he could micromanage this situation like he did everything else. It destroyed Coach Tressel.
    I think those are excellent points. I think the desire to win may have led him to cover this up and lie to the NCAA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Jason Whitlock had an article with this same basic premise today. [/URL]
    The "flawed" system...the evil "rule" that took Jim Tressel down was this:

When you know or suspect wrongdoing within your program, you must report it to the NCAA.

The Jim Tressel-Era wasn't brought down by his lack of knowledge, it was brought down by his failure to bring his knowledge to his superiors and to the NCAA. Any attempt to pain the man as a martyr because of things that were going on "behind his back" and claiming that he's being held to some impossible standard of knowledge and control is missing the point here entirely.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Wow. I think it is this mindset that is at the core of this mess. My degree is devalued day by day. Maybe I really did get it from "the diploma factory on High St." as the snobbish young non-OSU alumni told me in my first days at the accounting firm.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

I agree with you about the future of OSU football...it will move forward without Tressel. I think its impossible to know how OSU will do this year. The investigations aren't even complete. I'd be willing to guess that Pryor will never play at OSU again. How many others will join him? We don't know if any will be at this point, but its possible. How much will these investigations and penalties hurt them short and long term? Not sure about that either. I certainly think this will affect recruiting and player retention in the short term. Appointing an interim lame duck coach for 1 year won't help matters either. Who wants to sign up to play at a school without knowing who your coach will be (or, until August at the earliest, what the penalties could be). I don't think OSU will be "fine" in the short term or the long term. I think it's going to be a very long road to get back to the success they've been used to the past 10 years. I think OSU is more than capable of overcoming those "obstacles", and being successful in the long term, but I don't think that it'll be easy by any means.

I think what makes me mad about all of this is reading OSU fans continually make excuses for Tressel...he was protecting his players, he lied to the media not the NCAA, he notified compliance and compliance threw him under the bus. BULLCRAP!! Jim Tressel's character has been exposed. He is a cheater and a liar. If this was a "weak" moment for him, or an out of character time for him, I'm sorry, but I'm not giving him the benefit of the doubt. The investigations turning up infractions back to 2002 as well as the mess he managed to avoid at Youngstown St. tell me otherwise. He is a liar and a cheater and always has been. I just can't believe that OSU fans continually make excuses for him. It makes me sick. I get that it's pretty painful to turn on the head football coach of your favorite team. This is a man that did a lot of good things for your program, your community and the university as a whole. But, this is also the same man that is now dragging your favorite university through the mud because of his actions. Aren't there any OSU fans that are pissed off about that? I would be if it was my team and my head coach. And please don't even tell me that Jim Tressel didn't know of any violations prior to receiving the third party emails. He knew and what he didn't know, he chose not to know.
    Last edited by Red Leader; 05-31-2011 at 03:29 PM.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

OSU has survived the horrors of an 8-4 season before. They'll be fine. There's still plenty of kids in Ohio who grew up wanting to play in Ohio Stadium no matter who the coach is. And OSU still has more resources than any other program in the country.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Turn Off Ads?