Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 66 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 OSU Football-Will Tressel Survive?

Re: 2011 OSU Football-Will Tressel Survive?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    Your assumption is probably right.Still, I follow the Big 10 very closely and I can promis that you won't find more talent on another team in league.It will be much harder this year then it has been but the Buckeyes still will be in the mix.There's five or six teams that are long shots to win the conference this year and the Buckeyes aren't one of them.

You are correct about the talent, however they face a very daunting task replacing Tressel, as well as possibly Pryor. There will also be the distraction of the investigation and possible sanctions. Thats assuming they aren't handed a bowl ban which is still very much on the table. OSU will be fine in the long run, however for the short term they have a very difficult road ahead. I just can't see a whole lot of people picking them to win the Big Ten next year. For the sake of OSU fans, I hope you are right. You'll find few outside of the OSU fanbase who agree with you, however.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by SeeinRed View Post
    You are correct about the talent, however they face a very daunting task replacing Tressel, as well as possibly Pryor. There will also be the distraction of the investigation and possible sanctions. Thats assuming they aren't handed a bowl ban which is still very much on the table. OSU will be fine in the long run, however for the short term they have a very difficult road ahead. I just can't see a whole lot of people picking them to win the Big Ten next year. For the sake of OSU fans, I hope you are right. You'll find few outside of the OSU fanbase who agree with you, however.
    Maybe it won't be easy to find someone picking the Buckeyes as their favorite but you'd be hard pressed to find any expert excluding them from the conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by nmculbreth View Post

The fact of the matter is that fans have a tough time reacting rationally when it comes to the bad behavior of their favorite teams / players / coaches. They'll find ways to marginalize the offense or find a way to justify the behavior in order to reconcile the situation with their preconceived notions rather than coming to the painful conclusion that their favorite team / player / coach was in the wrong.

This isn't exclusive to the OSU fan base, if the same thing would have happened to another program I would expect pretty much the exact same response... though I have a funny feeling that some of the OSU apologists wouldn't be quite so understanding had this all gone down in Ann Arbor.
    I agree with you. I also think that it's common for fans of rival teams (UM, Florida, USC, et al in this case) to overreact to this kind of news and dance and sing and tell the whole world that OSU is going to get blasted back to the Stone Age with sanctions and penalties. I think this causes OSU fans to defend their team even more than they normally would.

I am not a fan of OSU and I intentionally tried not to be a hater when posting my responses. I hope that shows in my posts. Its funny, I hear all the time around January that I should root for Ohio St, Michigan St, Penn St, Wisconsin, Iowa, etc in the bowl games to show support for the Big 10. I just can't do it and have never understood that logic. Those teams are my enemies. I don't like them. I won't root for them under any circumstances. When this situation with OSU came up though, I have some compassion for OSU. I know there are other programs out there that aren't run as clean as they are reporting to. My team likely included. This whole NCAA investigation not only hurts OSU, but it hurts the Big 10 as a whole in my opinion. Its definitely not something to celebrate...no matter who you root for.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    The "flawed" system...the evil "rule" that took Jim Tressel down was this:

When you know or suspect wrongdoing within your program, you must report it to the NCAA.

The Jim Tressel-Era wasn't brought down by his lack of knowledge, it was brought down by his failure to bring his knowledge to his superiors and to the NCAA. Any attempt to pain the man as a martyr because of things that were going on "behind his back" and claiming that he's being held to some impossible standard of knowledge and control is missing the point here entirely.
    Exactly. I'd only add that if you write several books on integrity, this point isn't even one that such an author would have to pause to consider....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by nmculbreth View Post
    I think the response would be pretty much the same.

The fact of the matter is that fans have a tough time reacting rationally when it comes to the bad behavior of their favorite teams / players / coaches. They'll find ways to marginalize the offense or find a way to justify the behavior in order to reconcile the situation with their preconceived notions rather than coming to the painful conclusion that their favorite team / player / coach was in the wrong.

This isn't exclusive to the OSU fan base, if the same thing would have happened to another program I would expect pretty much the exact same response... though I have a funny feeling that some of the OSU apologists wouldn't be quite so understanding had this all gone down in Ann Arbor.
    I disagree. I mean I am a huge NY Giants fan and LT was my favorite player. And now we have had the drug issues, the alleged rape, the strippers. And I logically concluded he didn't do any of it.

Greatest. Linebacker. Evah.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    As an OSU fan I wouldn't want my future to come down to Terrelle Pryor:

Pryor, the highest profile recruit of Tressel's 25-year coaching career, is one of five Buckeyes who have already been suspended for the first five games of the 2011 season for taking money and tattoos from local tattoo-parlor owner Edward Rife, who pleaded guilty last week to federal drug trafficking and money-laundering charges.

Ohio State confirmed that the NCAA continues to look into potential violations, including Pryor's cars.

"I can tell you that obviously you have an open investigation,'' Ohio State spokesman Jim Lynch said Tuesday. "The university and the NCAA are working jointly to review any new allegations that come to light. We're going to continue to do so until their investigation wraps up.''

The Columbus Dispatch has reported that the NCAA and Ohio State are investigating more than 50 vehicle purchases by Buckeyes players, family members and friends over the past. Sports Illustrated, citing a source close to the investigation, reported that Pryor, who will be a senior this fall, might have driven as many as eight cars in his three years in Columbus.

Even though Pryor's vehicles have been a focal point of the investigation for weeks, that doesn't mean he has been riding a bicycle around the city.

Pryor drove up to a players-only team meeting on Monday night in a coal-black Nissan 350Z sports car with 30-day plates. The automotive information site Edmunds.com lists a recent, used 350Z, which it calls "a proper sports car for the everyman,'' as costing between $16,000 and $27,000.

Pryor was stopped three times for traffic violations over the past three years, each time driving cars that were owned by Kniffin or a Columbus used-car dealership where he worked, the Dispatch has reported. Kniffin, owner Jeff Mauk of Jack Maxton Chevrolet, Inc., and Jason Gross of Auto Direct Columbus, Inc., each provided affidavits to Ohio State officials earlier this month.

They said that all transactions associated with an Ohio State athlete were cleared through Ohio State's NCAA compliance department.

"If the OSU Compliance Department approved the transaction terms, the transaction would be finalized and the vehicle would be delivered to the customer,'' Mauk said in his statement.

Even though the dealerships have dozens of signed jerseys on display in their showrooms, Kniffin and the dealerships said that was not part of any deal.

"OSU student-athletes weren't given any enticements to buy the car at my dealership,'' Kniffin said. "At no time did memorabilia come into play when it came time to negotiate a deal or buy a car. I was never given any memorabilia from a student-athlete in exchange for a car deal.''

Late on Monday night, Sports Illustrated reported that the memorabilia-for-tattoos violations actually stretched back to 2002, Tressel's second season at Ohio State, and involved at least 28 players - 22 more than the university has acknowledged. Those numbers include, beyond the six suspended players, an additional nine current players as well as other former players whose alleged wrongdoing might fall within the NCAA's four-year statute of limitations on violations.

After the article's release, athletic director Gene Smith issued a statement.

"During the course of an investigation, the university and the NCAA work jointly to review any new allegations that come to light, and will continue to do so until the conclusion of the investigation,'' he said. "You should rest assured that these new allegations will be evaluated in exactly this manner. Beyond that, we will have no further comment.''

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1Nxp88EDe
    Do you really think all those deals for the 8 cars he's had were on the up and up? Even if they were, how does a college kid get money for that many cars? See how these investigations grow and evolve?

Investigators are also looking into Pryor's relationship with a businessman in his hometown, Ted Sarniak, who has served as his mentor. Sarniak was a prominent player in the recruitment of Pryor, considered the nation's No. 1 quarterback recruit when he graduated.

Ohio State has refused an Associated Press records request seeking communications between Ohio State officials, coaches, Tressel and Sarniak, citing a federal privacy law that shields students.
    http://www.fox8.com/news/wjw-ap-terr...,2251774.story

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Do you really think all those deals for the 8 cars he's had were on the up and up? Even if they were, how does a college kid get money for that many cars? See how these investigations grow and evolve?

Yeah, I've been a fan of a major sports program for a long time.They come,they evolve and then they go away once the season starts.While the explanation probably won't be a perfectly good one, there's a good chance it will be good enough.Don't act as if this is the first time something like this has come up in college football.

I don't like the Pryor car part of all of this and will fully admit that I believe there is probably something shady going on. Now in the interest of fairness he has not bought 8 cars while he has been at OSU. The car he was driving last night from the reports I have read belonged to his mother. According to the car salesman he has let Pryor drive three loaner cars for 3 days or less and he has not bought any of them. That guy (Kniffen I believe his name is) said that Pryor has always bought his cars from someone in PA near his childhood home and he couldn't get him a better deal than what that guy was offering. The one car deal that they did try to make was turned down by OSU compliance because they said it was to high profile of a car. Now if that is true I say good for OSU, but still a lot of questions around Pryor.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I don't like the Pryor car part of all of this and will fully admit that I believe there is probably something shady going on. Now in the interest of fairness he has not bought 8 cars while he has been at OSU. The car he was driving last night from the reports I have read belonged to his mother. According to the car salesman he has let Pryor drive three loaner cars for 3 days or less and he has not bought any of them. That guy (Kniffen I believe his name is) said that Pryor has always bought his cars from someone in PA near his childhood home and he couldn't get him a better deal than what that guy was offering. The one car deal that they did try to make was turned down by OSU compliance because they said it was to high profile of a car. Now if that is true I say good for OSU, but still a lot of questions around Pryor.
    Reports are that he's had 8 cars in three yrs. Maybe Pryor did buy his cars in Pa but apparently his mother and brother didn't:

Kniffin has reportedly sold cars to Pryor's mother and brother and to numerous other Ohio State athletes and/or their relatives. well as dozens of other Buckeye athletes or their family members. Kniffin has claimed that the vehicles were sold to the athletes and family members at legitimate prices; that the cars weren't sold at reduced prices as favors to the buyers.
    http://www.cleveland.com/ohio-sports.../post_177.html

Reports are that he's had 8 cars in three yrs. Maybe Pryor did buy his cars in Pa but apparently his mother and brother didn't:

http://www.cleveland.com/ohio-sports.../post_177.html
    I've seen numbers all over the map, but I've seen he has had many loaner cars, but has actually only bought one or two.

We'll see what comes out of this. What is out there right now isn't going to hurt Pryor or OSU, but there seems to be a lot of smoke.

Here is a interesting interview with Ray Issac from Dead Spin. I didn't link the article directly since that site can have some interestin ads and articles from time to time, but if that breaks some rules I certainly can.

Sports Radio Interviews—Every morning, the fine folks at Sports Radio Interviews sift through the a.m. drive-time chatter to bring you the best interviews with coaches, players, and personalities across the sports landscape. Today: Youngstown State's finest, Ray Isaac, tries out some media criticism.

Ray Isaac joined 790 The Zone in Atlanta with Mayhem in the AM to discuss his displeasure with the SI article, his relationship with Tressel at Youngstown State, why his case has always been linked to Tressel's departure from there, why he's most upset with Sports Illustrated and why he believes Tressel would lie to the NCAA.

On his displeasure with Sports Illustrated's article released Monday night:
    "The article is a big lie. I think that I've only done two interviews since 1991, since all the allegations came out. … I did both of those interviews in 2003 and I was displeased with how those articles came out. So I have not done another interview since then. I'm very displeased with the article. The article is chewed up. If you look at the paragraph that goes into what I was allegedly to have said, it is poorly written. It doesn't give any facts or clarity."

What would he like to get on the record now, then, about his relationship with Jim Tressel?:
    "Number one, I'm totally responsible for what I did at Youngstown State University. Every year, from the time I was on campus, from '88 to '91, Tressel had compliance seminars - not to deal with bookies, not to deal with drugs, not to deal with not buying or selling anything. I knew exactly what I was getting into when I met [booster] Mickey Monus. It is implied that on the first meeting that I had with Mickey Monus that I received $150. That is the biggest lie ever told. … Jim Tressel never ever knew anything about our dealings. I kept it secret. To say Coach Tressel knew about this car, or knew about this money, listen, the only way that anyone knew about the money I received from Youngstown State University was Mickey Monus got indicted on $1.1 million worth of embezzlement and fraud. In documents and public record, they found checks that were written to me. … That's the only way that this situation came to light. … Other than that, no one in the history of the world would have known the Mickey Monus paid me a dime."

Then why has Tressel's departure from Youngstown always been associated with the infractions surrounding the Ray case?:
    "I think that Jim Tressel was the coach at Youngstown State University and Mickey Monus got in trouble and then all of the sudden one of his star athletes comes out and his name is associated with that. When you look at these Youngstown State investigations, the first paragraph reads that Ray Isaac states that Jim Tressel or no other official at Youngstown State knew about the cars 0r the money."

What is he most upset with about the SI article?:
    "Jim Tressel is as good a man as you'll ever meet. It's almost to the point where it's hokey; you would think he is phony. Jim Tressel is like the person you want to be when you grow up. … He's always treated me like a son, always got on my case. I'm just appalled by the lack of facts in the article concerning me and him. … It almost looked like he read 50 articles of the Jim Tressel/Ray Isaac situation and mixed them all together and then wrote a paragraph because he could not get any words out of my mouth."

Why does he think Jim Tressel would lie to the NCAA about emails?:
    "The story has not been told. I think whatever he did, I don't know what he did, I just know he's going to protect and he has tried to protect his players and it just snowballed. It's like something that you just say, ‘Oh my God, are you serious?' He's a manager, man. He's a manager or his coaching staff, he's a manager of people, and it can get out of hand. Before you know it, you don't have grips with what's going on. … I'm the biggest advocate of Jim Tressel."

Universities and the NCAA work jointly together during investigations? Huh, no kidding?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Universities and the NCAA work jointly together during investigations? Huh, no kidding?
    That doesn't mean what you're trying to implicate it to mean...
    Last edited by Brutus; 05-31-2011 at 08:42 PM.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Talk about CYA mode.

I'm sure if this occurred in Michigan most of the POV's would just be a tad different.

Homerism lives on... even as the vest has left the building excuses are being built like a straw house in a strong and prevailing wind.
    Come on woy, and if it occurred at Michigan, the Michigan fanbase would be in CYA mode just as much. It cuts both ways.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Turn Off Ads?