Turn Off Ads?
Page 46 of 66 FirstFirst ... 3642434445464748495056 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 OSU Football-Will Tressel Survive?

Re: 2011 OSU Football-Will Tressel Survive?

Quote Originally Posted by SeeinRed View Post
    Lol. Gotta agree with you there.

All kidding aside, I think you would be very hard pressed to find anyone who thought a team would give up a pick that early to get Pryor. He is a very gifted athlete to be sure, but that was a pretty high price to pay for a player who will be a project moving forward I would think. Its just conjecture at this point, but it doesn't appear the Raiders had much competition in the race for Pryor.
    The Dolphins once drafted Pat White in the 2nd.

If Pryor plays the 2011 season at OSU he is probably drafted in the 2nd round. He is human specimen that runs away from people before he hits his stride. He could be used in a wildcat formation or even as an offensive decoy.

The one issue I would have in drafting him that high is he gets very little preseason action and is suspended for the first 5 games. The first year is basically a wash as to getting him in and having him learn the system. That said he could be a big weapon even if he doesn't play QB.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post

If Pryor plays the 2011 season at OSU he is probably drafted in the 2nd round. He is human specimen that runs away from people before he hits his stride. He could be used in a wildcat formation or even as an offensive decoy.

The one issue I would have in drafting him that high is he gets very little preseason action and is suspended for the first 5 games. The first year is basically a wash as to getting him in and having him learn the system. That said he could be a big weapon even if he doesn't play QB.
    A QB being used in a WC formation is not a plus in the NFL and is not worth a 3rd rd pick. He's going to have a hard time running away from NFL defenders. Al Davis should know better after drafting J Russell. This was a boneheaded move

He's as big as a TE and runs a 4.3 40. If he doesn't run away from defenders he can run through them.

You're not going to get someone that physically gifted normally in the 3rd round. If it had been the Patriots the media would be slobbering over the deal, but it's the Raiders so people make jokes.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    He's as big as a TE and runs a 4.3 40. If he doesn't run away from defenders he can run through them.

You're not going to get someone that physically gifted normally in the 3rd round. If it had been the Patriots the media would be slobbering over the deal, but it's the Raiders so people make jokes.
    Jamarkus Russell was also tremendously physically gifted. he supposedly could throw the ball through the goalposts from 60 yards away from his knees. So what?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Jamarkus Russell was also tremendously physically gifted. he supposedly could throw the ball through the goalposts from 60 yards away from his knees. So what?
    He was also slow, had no work ethic and a presciption drug problem.

Not saying Pryor is going to make it, but Russell is a bad comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    He was also slow, had no work ethic and a presciption drug problem.

Not saying Pryor is going to make it, but Russell is a bad comparison.
    Russell is a fine comparison in that he was very athletic, yet was inaccurate with his passing and had issues reading defenses. You are correct; he did not have 4.4 speed

Nobody is saying that 3rd round in the NFL draft would be too high. In fact that would probably be too low. The problem is that it is too high for the supplemental draft. That is a completely different set of circumstances. The issue wasn't the suspension either really. Its the fact that he has questionable projectability at the QB position and no true position to play going into the NFL. That doesn't make him a bust, but he is going to be a project at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful

This argument holds no water in my mind. The Patriots didn't make a move for Pryor. Raiders made a bid on him in the third round. Most had Pryor going in the 5th round or later. The Bengals, one of the teams rumored to be very interested in him didn't even put in a bid reportedly. This isn't a Patriots type of move. It is a Raiders type of move to give up a third round pick when they already didn't have a pick in the second and fourth rounds. There is a reason that the Raiders have the reputation they do while the Patriots have a reputation for making smart moves.

I'd say most pegged him to go in the 5th or later. The reason I believe that is summed up pretty well by Zac Jackson in a story he wrote on foxsportsohio.com:

Good teams just aren't comfortable giving up high draft picks for 2012 (or any other year) before the previous season has started. It's risky business in an ever-changing, balanced league. The Raiders have now surrendered their second, third and fourth picks for next year through various trades and this Pryor selection.
    Its pure speculation to assume where he might have gone or who had bids on him in later rounds, but it is pretty widely accepted that it was quite a reach for Oakland.

JaMarcus Russell came into the league and got fat and spent his time drinking codeine, I don't really see the comparison. It's impossible to know what Russell could have been if he'd had any kind of work ethic or desire. Not even going into the fact that Russell and Pryor's skill sets are very different. Nobody would have ever considered making Russell a WR.

JaMarcus Russell came into the league and got fat and spent his time drinking codeine, I don't really see the comparison. It's impossible to know what Russell could have been if he'd had any kind of work ethic or desire. Not even going into the fact that Russell and Pryor's skill sets are very different. Nobody would have ever considered making Russell a WR.
    Where the comparison is valid is that the Raiders were seriously questioned at the time about overdrafting Russell. The Raiders don't have a good track record in this area

Where the comparison is valid is that the Raiders were seriously questioned at the time about overdrafting Russell. The Raiders don't have a good track record in this area
    The Bengals drafted Akili Smith and David Klingler with top picks in the draft. Did that make Carson Palmer a questionable pick?

I like the Pats comparison because its pretty much accepted that they do no wrong in the draft. Ryan Mallet's stock is free falling yet when the Pats take him in the 3rd round its a great value pick.

I am not exactly enamored by Pryor's pro prospects but I do know what he is an athletic freak. He is a guy who could play QB, HB, Wild Cat, WR, TE. I wouldn't have taken him in the 3rd round but I definitely see a ton of upside risk.

The Bengals drafted Akili Smith and David Klingler with top picks in the draft. Did that make Carson Palmer a questionable pick?
    No question the Bengals history makes all their draft picks questionable. If they want to change that then they ought to have more productive drafts. Al Davis and his picks of guys like Heyward-Bey and Russell give him a bad rap, albeit deserved.

Take the Raiders out of it. I think it was nuts to draft TP before the 6th rd and if I were a GM, I would not have touched him at all.
    I like the Pats comparison because its pretty much accepted that they do no wrong in the draft. Ryan Mallet's stock is free falling yet when the Pats take him in the 3rd round its a great value pick .
    I pimped Ryan Mallet more than most before the draft so I like him a great deal. He may be another Jeff George/Jay Cutler but he differs from TP-2 in that he already has NFL QB skills. In other words his skills project to the NFL much more than Pryor's.

I am not exactly enamored by Pryor's pro prospects but I do know what he is an athletic freak. He is a guy who could play QB, HB, Wild Cat, WR, TE. I wouldn't have taken him in the 3rd round but I definitely see a ton of upside risk.
    He is an athletic freak but he's shown no desire to change positions and the Raiders have said that they drafted him as a QB. Athletic freaks rarely work out at QB.

9 days until actual, real football. I wasn't sure how I was going to feel about this season a few months ago, but now that it's approaching I cannot wait.

Where the comparison is valid is that the Raiders were seriously questioned at the time about overdrafting Russell.
    This isn't true. I mean maybe they were questioned by somebody, but Russell was projected to go at the top of the 1st by most. Kiper projected him first overall, and here's an SI profile that has him projected early 1st: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo...yers/5736.html

I like the Pats comparison because its pretty much accepted that they do no wrong in the draft. Ryan Mallet's stock is free falling yet when the Pats take him in the 3rd round its a great value pick.
    Its not a good comparison for a couple reasons. First one being that the round based value differs greatly from the April draft to the supplemental draft. Making any comparison to the two is not possible. The second is that Mallett was considered to have first round talent, but character red flags and drug rumors really held back his value to most teams. Where the consideration of him being a value pick in the third round comes into play is in his talent. He was a player with the ability of a first round QB with questions about character that knocked him down to the third. Prototypical value pick by almost any definition.

If Pryor was picked in the third round in the April draft by the Raiders, he would also probably be considered a good value pick. Problem is, he was picked up in the supplemental draft. The Raiders had already traded away their 2nd and 4th round picks. Very few teams would give up such a high draft pick in next year's draft because it is not a draft for need based picks. These drafts are already risk inherent, and the team would be giving up a thrid round pick before having the chance to fill a true need or evaluate needs for next year's draft.

I'm not saying the pick won't work out, but for the question as to whether he was drafter higher than was expected, I think the answer would be an overwhelming yes. Saying that it is only viewed that way because the Raiders did it and not the Patriots is rediculous. That type of speculation is completely unfounded because the Patriots, along with every other team, did not have a bid on him that early from all the reports out there.

This isn't true. I mean maybe they were questioned by somebody, but Russell was projected to go at the top of the 1st by most. Kiper projected him first overall, and here's an SI profile that has him projected early 1st: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo...yers/5736.html
    I thought it had been a very weak QB class and when I went back and looked I was right. Russell may have been over drafted but at the time he was the consensus #1 QB on the board. I agree with Sea Ray in that I never thought much of him as a NFL QB but that still doesn't mean he wasn't the top QB in the draft.

As for the other QB's drafted in the first four rounds. Feast your eyes on:

Brady Quinn
    Kevin Colb
    John Beck
    Drew Stanton
    Trent Edwards
    Isaiah Stanback

The best any of those QB's have done is to take part in a media circus surrounding their team.

Turn Off Ads?